Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:13 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,789,086 times

Advertisements

How could you get the name? You don't want anyone to think you are trying to threaten the child! (and btw, the parents might not even really want to know...likely they'd be on the defensive...that is just how it is these days).
Could you talk to the B&N staff?
Or write a letter to the editor in the Livingston local newspaper? Or Patch?
If there is some publicity on the issue, perhaps parents will hear of it and check into it.

Last edited by snuffybear; 03-30-2012 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 10:53 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Sorry but we've become a society that would fit in 1939 Berlin.

Paranioa and accusations are running this country right now.

George Orwell wrote about this in 1948 and he was dead on.

Here's another example. Friends of ours recently moved into an 55+ with the usual rules and regs. with the HOA. At the closing they gave them some papers to hold unto in order to report their neighbors for not following the rules and regs.

If that was me I would have thrown the papers back into their faces. Oh, I believe in following rules and regs, but don't expect to become your police.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:11 AM

667 posts, read 1,744,499 times
NO ONE will ever take care of their own children, like the parent's would. While there are many good nannies out there many have limited educations, come from impoverished countries, are here illegally and some are paid poorly and taken advantage of.
For working parents it's sort of a frustrating revolving door of sorts. One that you want to limit as much as possible. So it's slim pickins for the good ones and the ones that are solid, know it and charge high premiums (or at least their agencies do).
I would not advocate someone following any nanny and ANY child anywhere, even if you think you were doing the right thing. Be very careful with that course of action. The ONLY reason I would want such person knocking on my door after FOLLOWING my nanny/child is if my child was in immediate danger of some sort due to my nanny's carelessness (ex: no seatbelts, smoking in the car, strong physical contact, etc).

BTW, there is entire blog DEDICATED to this :
I saw your nanny

Old 03-31-2012, 09:22 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
These kids who are running loose from time to time will probably turn out a lot better than the ones with helicopter parents/nannies constantly watching them. Well, at least the survivors will.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:04 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,702,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
These kids who are running loose from time to time will probably turn out a lot better than the ones with helicopter parents/nannies constantly watching them. Well, at least the survivors will.
The helicopter kids will end up on the psych couch when they get older. "tell me about your mother".

Old 03-31-2012, 10:45 AM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
The thread title makes me think of a subtitle to a cheap scary movie!

Old 03-31-2012, 04:41 PM

605 posts, read 2,147,349 times
Imagine if your two year old was wandering around Barnes and Noble unsupervised/out of view of their caretaker.

The thought of it is terrifying. I don't let my daughter out of my sight for a second.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:13 PM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
NO ONE will ever take care of their own children, like the parent's would. While there are many good nannies out there many have limited educations, come from impoverished countries, are here illegally and some are paid poorly and taken advantage of.
For working parents it's sort of a frustrating revolving door of sorts. One that you want to limit as much as possible. So it's slim pickins for the good ones and the ones that are solid, know it and charge high premiums (or at least their agencies do).
I would not advocate someone following any nanny and ANY child anywhere, even if you think you were doing the right thing. Be very careful with that course of action. The ONLY reason I would want such person knocking on my door after FOLLOWING my nanny/child is if my child was in immediate danger of some sort due to my nanny's carelessness (ex: no seatbelts, smoking in the car, strong physical contact, etc).

BTW, there is entire blog DEDICATED to this :
I saw your nanny
That was an interesting site. I read a thread about how much the nanny should get paid and what types of work they should do.

It reminded me of a conversation I heard on the train after work one day. The young working mother on whose conversation I was eavesdropping lived in what is one of the best sections of a very nice affluent suburb of New York City. She was looking for a nanny for her child, but wanted someone who was college-educated yet willling to do that kind of work. Her friends apparently were all using recent immigrants whose second language was English but who cost a lot less. The train lady was voicing her opinion on how all her friends had no problem driving BMWs but would not spend the money to hire a well-educated nanny for their children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey