Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 07:39 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,133,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
I'd actually like to find a place that makes great Portugese egg tarts, aka Pastel de Nata. I think there are some NYC Chinatown bakeries that have them but are there any in north Jersey?
Some people on Yelp are raving about Teixeira on Ferry St., Newark:

Teixeira Bakery - Newark, NJ

The Ironbound section is known for Portugese food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 07:46 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,236,541 times
Carlos Bakery in Hoboken

...is definitely not the best ;D

Old 03-31-2012, 10:05 PM

23 posts, read 48,516 times
Thanks for the tips on Teixeira, sounds like I'll have to pay a visit!

Old 04-01-2012, 08:05 AM

291 posts, read 973,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
Carlos Bakery in Hoboken

...is definitely not the best ;D

Whew, you had me worried there for a minute, babo! We visit Hoboken frequently, since I used to live there and have several friends who still do, and I'm amazed by the constant presence of long lines to get into the place. An hour plus wait for a mediocre cupcake? I just don't get it.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:46 AM

513 posts, read 1,162,873 times
Here's the best cheescake in NJ::http://www.marcscheesecake.com/ It's on Valley Road in Clifton. Marc uses the very best ingredients. No one else can light a candle to his cheesecake....and the brownies are so incredible, too. Another find is an extra-special place on Lafayette Avenue in Hawthorne Just Desserts Bakery :: Hawthorne, New Jersey the best place for birthday cakes or their incredible red velvet cake or carrot cake. Just Desserts is a real find, too.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:05 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,763,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjersey View Post
Whew, you had me worried there for a minute, babo! We visit Hoboken frequently, since I used to live there and have several friends who still do, and I'm amazed by the constant presence of long lines to get into the place. An hour plus wait for a mediocre cupcake? I just don't get it.
I was going to say that aswell , you would think in 2012 that it would wear off by now. The Reviews are getting nasty....

Old 04-01-2012, 02:32 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,438,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
The Scone Pony in Spring Lake!

End of discussion.

The Scone Pony - Specialty Bake Shoppe in Spring Lake, NJ

I would also add to the list of great bakeries the following

Calandra's Bakery in Fairfield, for cakes and cookies.
Mueller's in Bay Head for their amazing crumb cake.
B & W in Hackensack for Kosher bakery,
Bovella's in Westfield (Italian Bakery)
La Petite Patisserie in Dumont is amazing for French pastries.

KoalaNJ

Old 04-01-2012, 07:09 PM

52 posts, read 133,106 times
I've had dessert from Mendoker's at least five times, nothing to brag about. Their stuff was mediocre at best.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:38 PM

78 posts, read 329,427 times
B&W in Hackensack for their crumb cake at least until 3 years ago. Butterflake in Teaneck for their rye and corn bread

Old 04-02-2012, 07:31 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,092,348 times
well, isn't teixeira the one that makes all the mexican/hispanic (mostly mexican) pastries that they sell all over the place in all the cheap grocery places (the kinds that are often owned by asians) from the clear boxes? They're more of a factory/distributor, not really a bakery like we're talking about. The mexican stuff is good, but it's not amazing. But they are quite pretty

A lot of pastries/cakes don't do it for me. Cake or choux pastry or whatever in itself doesn't taste special to me. What's REALLY good is anything creamy with fat in it, like the frosting or pastry cream or any nut butter. THAT'S the tasty part. The Le Gateaux chain here in bergen county, the one that sells all the korean stuff, makes a delicious bread with this exquisite sweet peanut butter filling. OMG so good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey