Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 32,850 times

Advertisements

We're buying a home in NJ but our home inspection this week brought up the possibility of an abandoned underground tank. The furnace is still oil and there's a tank in the basement, but there's another line (see pic below) coming up from the concrete floor that's not connected to anything. We didn't see any vents or fill pipes in the yard except for the ones that service the visible basement tank, and we can't figure out where this one leads to - no evidence of the line going through the foundation. The house is about 80 years old.

We're checking with the homeowner to find out if they know anything about an underground tank, and will be having a family friend with pro equipment sweep the yard anyway, but thought we'd see if anyone here had an opinion. It's nerve wracking not knowing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 11:04 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
It definitely should be nerve-wracking- if you buy it, you own it. If the tank wasn't properly remediated and there's a leak that contaminated the soil, you can be on the hook for a huge bill for remediation. I'd definitely want to have the yard checked for evidence of a tank, and if you find one, make the owner remove it and remediate any contaminated soil.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:19 AM

Thanks Bob, that is definitely solid advice.

I've also been reading through this thread, which anyone facing a similar situation should definitely review: Underground Storage Tank Information

Old 04-01-2012, 06:55 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
Run away if there is any posibility at all. You don't know the stress it can cause you. Also its not covered by insurance anymore. I went thru a remediation in NJ, and the insurance company missed paying one bill($1400 out of the over $200k that was already paid. They are paying it now. They tracked me down, 7 years later, in Nashville, no less. My husbands name was on the bill, but it was sent to me, knowing I;m now a widow. That big mess caused stress on his heart, and I was told, and it was sudden, that he needed a transplant.
Do not take any chances as it seems they were hiding it, so imagine what else they are hiding.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:47 PM

302 posts, read 2,231,418 times
There's one copper tubing going over toward the water heater. One oil line usually means an indoor tank, two lines- an underground tank. There are exceptions of course. Were there any patched areas on the foundation from a fill or vent pipe? Is it possible that the oil tank was relocated to another part of the basement?

Just so you know, there's no legal reason that a decommissioned underground tank has to be removed. However, that's been the trend for a few years for the buyer to ask the seller to remove any tank underground.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:46 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergenite View Post
There's one copper tubing going over toward the water heater. One oil line usually means an indoor tank, two lines- an underground tank. There are exceptions of course. Were there any patched areas on the foundation from a fill or vent pipe? Is it possible that the oil tank was relocated to another part of the basement?

Just so you know, there's no legal reason that a decommissioned underground tank has to be removed. However, that's been the trend for a few years for the buyer to ask the seller to remove any tank underground.
You have to be kidding, there could be a leaking tank under there. I had a neighbor who put in a new tank, knowing fully that the old tank was leaking.
I would not buy a property with a tank underground.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:03 AM

572 posts, read 2,021,747 times
I have to agree with Diane. Also, from an insurance standpoint it is going to be very difficult to obtain homeowners insurance if there is a decomissioned tank. Most companies not mandate that the tank be removed prior to offering any type of approvals for a policy. The liability implication alone is enormous and as someone in the industry I would not purchase a home that has a current or decommissioned oil tank without documentation of removal by a certified company along with the documentation that soil tests came back negative.

You are talking about the possibility of hunderds of thousands of dollars in teh case of a leak, especially if the leak is large enough to impact any third parties or water sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
You have to be kidding, there could be a leaking tank under there. I had a neighbor who put in a new tank, knowing fully that the old tank was leaking.
I would not buy a property with a tank underground.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:14 AM

Thanks for all of the advice & thoughts - we heard from the seller today that there was an underground oil tank but it was removed a long time ago. They haven't supplied documentation yet but we've put in a request with the town to see if they have anything on record.

We certainly would not buy a house with a tank underground, unless the seller was going to remove it and be responsible for any leaks/remediation.

We also have a professional there today scanning the property with detection equipment. We will see!

Old 04-02-2012, 09:26 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
Nice that the tank is out, but the lack of documentation is a major concern. If the old tank had leaked significantly, there could still be soil/water contamination, which you could be responsible to remediate.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:03 PM

527 posts, read 1,408,466 times
You should get any and all documentation about the tank being removed.
Go to town, see if there were permits.
You need a date or time frame.

You need written documentation from a (hopefully) rebutable company that the tank was removed and the surranding soil testing and was found clean. You cannot accept the word or hearsay of the seller, on anything.

If you are not given that documentation, I would walk.
Thinking ahead, if/when you go to sell, you will be asked for the same documentation from your buyer. You don't have, your buyer will walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey