Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 06:09 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,440,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsaz View Post
Try looking into Branchburg, NJ. There are homes in the Neshanic Station area that are suitable to you, and also in the North Branch area off of Readington Road.

I'd be very leery of any home in Branchburg due to flooding issues in the area. (which may be one of the reasons the poster is having trouble selling his home.) A simple google or youtube search for Flooding in NJ will get you plenty of info on areas to be careful. There are also many threads on C/D for NJ on the topic you should check out as well before looking further into picking towns to look to move to. This is especially important in the Bridgewater or Wayne/Little Falls/Pompton Lakes vicinities.

KoalaNJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 08:47 AM

15 posts, read 24,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
I'd be very leery of any home in Branchburg due to flooding issues in the area. (which may be one of the reasons the poster is having trouble selling his home.) A simple google or youtube search for Flooding in NJ will get you plenty of info on areas to be careful. There are also many threads on C/D for NJ on the topic you should check out as well before looking further into picking towns to look to move to. This is especially important in the Bridgewater or Wayne/Little Falls/Pompton Lakes vicinities.

KoalaNJ
While searching Basking Ridge homes...Bernards,NJ is always shown in the listings...is should I exclude this area? Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated!

Old 04-04-2012, 09:00 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,318,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tparks View Post
While searching Basking Ridge homes...Bernards,NJ is always shown in the listings...is should I exclude this area? Any thoughts or feedback is appreciated!
No don't exclude Bernards Twp. Basking Ridge is located in Bernards Twp.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:31 AM

312 posts, read 683,533 times
Summit, Millburn, and Westfield are very nice, but you are going to be paying a premium partially due to the fact that these towns have train stations. Since you will not be using the train, it may make sense to look at some other towns without train stations. I just moved to Springfield, NJ (right next to Union, so you would have a 10 minute commute, max), and I love it there.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:44 AM

5,767 posts, read 16,520,203 times
So. that Union township I assume is the one in Union County, next to Springfield, Kenilworth, etc. I wouldn't go too far from there as you have a number of decent residential towns nearby surrounding it and towards the west, northwest and southwest. Off the top of my smartphone, people mentioned Mountainside, Westfield, New Providence, many other possibilities along the way between there and the outskirts of Morristown, Millington, Green Village, etc.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:30 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,440,101 times
Quote:

Basking Ridge is part of Bernards Twp. Although the entire Twp shares one school district, the Twp is divided into several areas, (Basking Ridge, Liberty Corner, Lyons, Millington, and a part of Martinsville all make up the Twp.) Basking Ridge has a cute downtown area and is where the HS is located, but I would not eliminate the other areas of the Twp from consideration, they are lovely, just a little more rural. You will run into the same situation in Millburn as well, Short Hills is a part of Millburn Township.

The "overnaming" is endemic around here...many Townships are like this. I think our fore fathers were name happy. Think of it sorta like NYC, which is comprised of the 5 boroughs, Manhattan, Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, and Staten Island.

KoalaNJ

Old 04-04-2012, 06:19 PM

15 posts, read 44,663 times
I remember when Naperville was the end of the world.; anyway, I have been in NJ 18 years and have some suggestions. If you want a newer and contemporary home - and an easy commute to Union - look in Warren, Mountainside, and Watchung. They built lots of new homes in those areas in the "boom" between I-78 on the north side and Rt 22 on the south.

In this area of NJ, diversity usually means different ethnic groups and religions, as none mentioned have a significant African-American population.

There are also some upscale sections of Scotch Plains. My sister's kid goes to school there and from what I can tell, it's definitely up and coming. My advice is do NOT go down the Parkway to Homdel or Monmouth County- the commute is going to stink.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap2 View Post
I remember when Naperville was the end of the world.; anyway, I have been in NJ 18 years and have some suggestions. If you want a newer and contemporary home - and an easy commute to Union - look in Warren, Mountainside, and Watchung. They built lots of new homes in those areas in the "boom" between I-78 on the north side and Rt 22 on the south.

In this area of NJ, diversity usually means different ethnic groups and religions, as none mentioned have a significant African-American population.

There are also some upscale sections of Scotch Plains. My sister's kid goes to school there and from what I can tell, it's definitely up and coming. My advice is do NOT go down the Parkway to Homdel or Monmouth County- the commute is going to stink.
Hi! Naperville has most definitely changed! It is a wonderful city!

I researched Scotch Plains as you suggested...there are some very nice homes up for sale...concerned about schools and resale. Any thoughts?

Old 04-05-2012, 11:36 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,318,212 times
Quote:

I researched Scotch Plains ...there are some very nice homes up for sale...concerned about schools and resale. Any thoughts?
I would not be concerned about schools in SP but I prefer to live in the higher elevations in the hills where there is zero chance of flooding.
You might like Berkley Heights.
When NJ has it's every so often rain storms the towns below the hills are usually the ones where flooding becomes a problem.
Not all towns flood but it seems that homes that never before flooded occasionally will have water problems.
Stay away from any homes located next to brooks or streams no matter how calm they may look.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I would not be concerned about schools in SP but I prefer to live in the higher elevations in the hills where there is zero chance of flooding.
You might like Berkley Heights.
When NJ has it's every so often rain storms the towns below the hills are usually the ones where flooding becomes a problem.
Not all towns flood but it seems that homes that never before flooded occasionally will have water problems.
Stay away from any homes located next to brooks or streams no matter how calm they may look.
Thanks! Very Good Advice!! Would have never thought to consider flooding from the hills!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey