Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:50 PM

14 posts, read 55,107 times

Advertisements

My DH has been offered a job near Annandale, NJ, and before he accepts we want to go check out our options as far as where to live (we're currently in the DC area). The last time we were there in 2008 we fell in love with Princeton, but I don't know what his commute will be like to Annandale - is that a horrible commute?

Additionally, any suggestions on where to find housing are greatly appreciated. We'll have a real estate agent to help us (we want to rent for a while) once we've committed to the move, but before we do that I want to check out some areas on our own. We're a young married couple, no kids, and we like to go out to restaurants and bars and such, but we're not big partiers (i.e. not interested in college bars or dance clubs). As an example we currently live in a really large suburban area on the DC line - so we have the best of both worlds, IMO - a quiet, safe neighborhood with nice housing, tons of stores, parks and walking trails, and then a 20 minute train ride to work in the center of DC. I realize NJ isn't DC, but we'd like a similar feeling, if possible. Princeton really felt like a good fit when we were there, but I don't want my husband to spend 3 hours round trip commuting.

Thanks in advance for any help - it's much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 04:19 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
We drove up that way (from the Princeton area) just last Sat. It took us about an hour without traffic, can't imagine that drive with traffic.

That part of the State is quite spectacular! Very hilly and scenic.

Look at some places a little closer to Annandale, like Clinton-
Clinton NJ Shops and Services

A lovely town!
Good luck with your search and welcome to New Jersey

Old 03-20-2012, 06:45 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMae View Post
My DH has been offered a job near Annandale, NJ, and before he accepts we want to go check out our options as far as where to live (we're currently in the DC area). The last time we were there in 2008 we fell in love with Princeton, but I don't know what his commute will be like to Annandale - is that a horrible commute?

Additionally, any suggestions on where to find housing are greatly appreciated. We'll have a real estate agent to help us (we want to rent for a while) once we've committed to the move, but before we do that I want to check out some areas on our own. We're a young married couple, no kids, and we like to go out to restaurants and bars and such, but we're not big partiers (i.e. not interested in college bars or dance clubs). As an example we currently live in a really large suburban area on the DC line - so we have the best of both worlds, IMO - a quiet, safe neighborhood with nice housing, tons of stores, parks and walking trails, and then a 20 minute train ride to work in the center of DC. I realize NJ isn't DC, but we'd like a similar feeling, if possible. Princeton really felt like a good fit when we were there, but I don't want my husband to spend 3 hours round trip commuting.

Thanks in advance for any help - it's much appreciated.

Having driven that route many times, I agree with the previous poster, the commute from Princeton to Annandale would be rough. I'd recommend checking out Flemington, and Somerville as possibilities. While there is no mass transit in either town to Annandale, in reality no where does have mass transit to Annandale. Both towns offer all you are looking for, walkable downtowns with shopping, restaurants, etc. and are within a reasonable commuting time. There are also several wonderful burbs all along the stretch of 78/22 in Hunterdon County (Oldwick, Tewksbury, and White House Station come to mind) that are nice places to live, great commute, but will not afford you much variety in the way of shopping or restaurant choices. I personally would consider the Bridgewater area as well. Slightly longer, yet still reasonable commute, plenty of shopping, dining and entertainment options, plus you have the train station there, so easy access to NYC.

And as the first poster mentioned Clinton is also an option, though Flemington and Somerville have more going for them.

HTH

KoalaNJ

Old 03-20-2012, 08:15 PM

501 posts, read 1,474,409 times
All the towns mentioned by the previous posters are very nice. The town of Clinton is only minutes away (actually Annandale is part of Clinton Township) and is a very pretty town with a lot of activities, stores, restaurants and a small art museum as well. The art museum is in an old converted mill and is right next door to the most picturesque river and falls which appear on postcards. The art museum also offers art classes if you are interested. The area is renowned for some very beautiful recreational parks with fishing, hiking and camping set on rolling verdent hills and valleys.

Flemington itself is only about 1 square mile and is surrounded by Raritan Township. The downtown area is located in Flemington proper and has one outdoor outlet mall. Raritan Township also has 3 larger sized malls, and townhouse/condo developments where you can find some nice rental units. The only townhouse community to avoid is Hunter Hills (located on Rt. 202) which your realtor should know about. Flemington and Raritan Township all have good restaurants and are only about a 15 to 20 minute drive to Annandale and about a 20 minute drive to the Delaware River. There is a canal next to the river for walking or hiking and you can canoe or kayak on the river. You cannot go wrong in this area - I know because I am lucky to live here. From Flemington depending on traffic the drive to downtown Princetown is about 45 minutes or so. A rush hour drive from any of these locations to Princeton would not be a pleasant one though. Welcome and best of luck!

PS: I forgot to mention Lambertville! This is about 25 minutes from Flemington. It is right on the Delaware and has lots of art gallaries, craft stores, fabulous restaurants and antique stores. There is also a great and one of the oldest flea markets in the country! You'll love it!

Last edited by Rowen; 03-20-2012 at 08:35 PM..

Old 03-20-2012, 11:50 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
All the towns mentioned by the previous posters are very nice. The town of Clinton is only minutes away (actually Annandale is part of Clinton Township) and is a very pretty town with a lot of activities, stores, restaurants and a small art museum as well. The art museum is in an old converted mill and is right next door to the most picturesque river and falls which appear on postcards. The art museum also offers art classes if you are interested. The area is renowned for some very beautiful recreational parks with fishing, hiking and camping set on rolling verdent hills and valleys.

Flemington itself is only about 1 square mile and is surrounded by Raritan Township. The downtown area is located in Flemington proper and has one outdoor outlet mall. Raritan Township also has 3 larger sized malls, and townhouse/condo developments where you can find some nice rental units. The only townhouse community to avoid is Hunter Hills (located on Rt. 202) which your realtor should know about. Flemington and Raritan Township all have good restaurants and are only about a 15 to 20 minute drive to Annandale and about a 20 minute drive to the Delaware River. There is a canal next to the river for walking or hiking and you can canoe or kayak on the river. You cannot go wrong in this area - I know because I am lucky to live here. From Flemington depending on traffic the drive to downtown Princetown is about 45 minutes or so. A rush hour drive from any of these locations to Princeton would not be a pleasant one though. Welcome and best of luck!

PS: I forgot to mention Lambertville! This is about 25 minutes from Flemington. It is right on the Delaware and has lots of art gallaries, craft stores, fabulous restaurants and antique stores. There is also a great and one of the oldest flea markets in the country! You'll love it!
How bad it the drive from flemington to princeton and what roadways en rte other than 206 are nightmares at rush hour.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
How bad it the drive from flemington to princeton and what roadways en rte other than 206 are nightmares at rush hour.

Your best route from Flemington to Princeton would be taking 202/31, though during rush that is no picnic. (but not as bad as 206 heading south towards Princeton)

Old 03-21-2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen View Post

While I agree that Lambertville is a quaint, charming town and a great place to live, since the OP indicates that her DH's job will be in the Annandale area, residing in Lambertville would mean a commute of around an hour (or more) each way, depending on times traveled.

KoalaNJ

Old 03-21-2012, 01:02 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
Your best route from Flemington to Princeton would be taking 202/31, though during rush that is no picnic. (but not as bad as 206 heading south towards Princeton)
don't ya have to turn on cty rte 518 to get to princeton?

Old 03-21-2012, 01:31 AM

Yes, you are right...

KoalaNJ

Old 03-21-2012, 07:49 AM

501 posts, read 1,474,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
While I agree that Lambertville is a quaint, charming town and a great place to live, since the OP indicates that her DH's job will be in the Annandale area, residing in Lambertville would mean a commute of around an hour (or more) each way, depending on times traveled.

KoalaNJ
Sorry for the confusion. I suggested Lambertville as a nice town to visit while living in Flemington but not to live & commute to Princeton. That would be a long drive - Glad you clarified that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
don't ya have to turn on cty rte 518 to get to princeton?
I turn onto Rt. 518 then make a right to 206S which will take you into the town of Princeton. There may be backroads off of 518 to get to Princeton but I don't know them. Maybe someone can offer alternate routes.

Last edited by Rowen; 03-21-2012 at 08:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey