Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 05:54 PM

147 posts, read 389,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
This is pure BS.

Our taxes are already paying for this service.
Exactly, but government is always looking for more ways to squeeze more money out of us instead of making itself more efficient. After all, they have no competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 06:11 PM

147 posts, read 389,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the homeowner in that instance was offered the option to pay for the service and they knowingly opted not to. i agree with the decision to let their house burn.
Agreed. Actually it would be more efficient to privatize such services as police and fire. It may sound strrange, but there were no police departments in this country until around 1850. The public police we have now do more harm than good.
https://sites.google.com/site/thepol...eharmthangood/

The economist David Friedman (son of Milton Friedman) describes how such a system would work in his book _The Machinery of Freedom_.
The Machinery of Freedom

Old 04-06-2012, 06:16 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Yes I would like to support Americans who cant afford these services. Sorry I am a bad guy. Sorry I dont want people who cant afford these services to suffer when I can help them out. If this place is soo bad get up and leave. Nobody is stopping you. Go find your utopia. If helping people out makes me a left winger then I will wear it. Thanks.
the person whose house burned down could afford the $75 fee, they just chose not to pay.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:23 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,635,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
over the person voluntarily choosing not to pay the fee of $75 so that the fire department would provide their services if needed. so yes, the person should have paid $75 and because they chose not to, they dont deserve the service.
Would be entertaining to see if you said the same if it was your home that was allowed to burned down.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:29 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
Would be entertaining to see if you said the same if it was your home that was allowed to burned down.
I'm guessing he would have paid the $75 to begin with.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm guessing he would have paid the $75 to begin with.
O yea? What if the clerk messed up the transaction and didn't charge it when he should have or they lost a record of payment? or he thought he paid, but they lost his check and never redeemed it? - I had this in a real estate transaction where the company lost a 20k check so it can def happen for $75, or your relative died and you are under stress and JUST FORGOT TO PAY?
Shi* happens, ya know.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:44 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
O yea? What if the clerk messed up the transaction and didn't charge it when he should have or they lost a record of payment? or he thought he paid, but they lost his check and never redeemed it? - I had this in a real estate transaction where the company lost a 20k check so it can def happen for $75, or your relative died and you are under stress and JUST FORGOT TO PAY?
Shi* happens, ya know.
But that didn't happen in this case. The guy just didn't pay. He gambled and lost.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
But that didn't happen in this case. The guy just didn't pay. He gambled and lost.
You don't know what happened. You don't know what was going on cuz you weren't there. This sets a precedent for all the things I mentioned. Imagine if it is a mistake next time, which is very realistic, and it happens to you, you really wanna argue with them and try to convince you did pay while your home is burning?

Ridiculous...

They should have done their job and settled with him after, charged him twice the fee or what not. How you people gon sit here and say losing all your things is fair and good for not paying $75?
You wouldn't say this if it happened TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:19 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
my life insurance policy costs me about $40 a month. its very important as it is intended to pay off my home and leave my wife and child with money to live off of for a while in the case of my death. do i expect the insurance policy to pay out the money if i dont pay the premium? no, i dont. do i make every payment on time? yes, i do.

you would never be able to enjoy such entertainment because i would have paid for the service and if i chose not to pay, i wouldnt expect to receive the service. so the guy didnt pay for the fire department's service, he took a gamble and he lost. his house should have burned.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:38 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,585 times
Quote:
You don't know what happened. You don't know what was going on cuz you weren't there. This sets a precedent for all the things I mentioned. Imagine if it is a mistake next time, which is very realistic, and it happens to you, you really wanna argue with them and try to convince you did pay while your home is burning?

FAMILY.
They were aware of the policy. There are quite a few places in the US that do this now. This article also states that in a nearby county if you don't pay the fee you can pay them to put out the fire, but it'll cost you a lot more. I think that's fair.

"Bell and her boyfriend said they were aware of the policy, but thought a fire would never happen to them."

U.S. News - Firefighters let home burn over $75 fee -- again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey