Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 09:50 AM

14 posts, read 44,162 times

Advertisements

Peanuttree:

We're simply at different points in our lives.

I've lived over 10 years as a bachelor in Manhattan midtown high rise and low rise apartments, and yes, it was f'ing awesome.

Then renting in a big 1 bedroom in CSP, wasn't bad at all actually (awesome Manhattan view and good commute), especially with no maintenance headaches. Aside from the crappy malfunctioning built-in ACs and washer/dryer combo unit (that we'd have to pay half to fix, but can't replace). And having to valet park (we've been late many times because they're backed up bringing out cars). And not having enough rooms for our projected 3 kids; ideally 4BR + playroom. Yeah, we could probably find another another apartment that addresses these issues, but we don't have $1.5m.

And "good enough" school, especially when it ranks at the bottom of the county, isn't good enough for me. I'm sure many people came out of CSP schools and excelled in careers, but it's about increasing such chances. If you don't have kids, obviously this is irrelevant.

In any case, yes, I enjoy being able to host a barbeque and have my kids run around and use the slide & swing set in our PRIVATE backyard. And practice our golf swings for free. :-)

But most important of all for YOU, just be glad we're one less family living in the apartment next to you with a screaming infant at 5 in the morning. :-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,242 times
Default How is it working out for you?

JR_NJ - It looks like you ended up moving to Emerson - how do you like it? Is the commute worth it?

My husband and I are also making the move from NYC to suburbia and are also looking at Emerson for all the reasons you mentioned above. We have a 1.5 yr old.

We will both be commuting to NYC - midtown for him, Downtown for me. Is the commute a big headache or has it been worth it thus far?

Old 10-07-2012, 07:59 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Downtown is less of a hassel then Midtown which can be a pain...both trips take 1hr and 15mins depending on the part of Midtown or Downtown your headed.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:29 PM

14 posts, read 44,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxNJMomma View Post
We will both be commuting to NYC - midtown for him, Downtown for me. Is the commute a big headache or has it been worth it thus far?
Commute's actually not bad at all; pleasant, even. Station to station is about an hour via NJ Transit Pascack Valley Line train ($248 monthly, can also be used for bus) or 165T bus (I think about $130 monthly), or you can opt for Coach USA 11A or 11C bus, which can take only 40 min ($7.15 one time, don't know bulk price). Just don't take local 165 bus (no "T"), which takes over 1:40.

The good:
+ The train to NY Penn Station is always prompt (except once for a train malfunction), with no traffic delays.
+ Trains seats and ride are much more comfortable than buses, and have 2 quiet cars (first & last of train).
+ Since Emerson is one of the first stops, seats are always plentiful.
+ Subway lines are also at or very near Penn Station. I live only a few blocks from Emerson station and work only 3 blocks away from Penn, so it's a great door to door commute for me (YMMV).
+ Plenty of trains and buses from the same stop.
+ Indoor (air conditioned / heated) waiting area.

The bad:
- Have to transfer for train at Secaucus (easy indoor transfer, but still a minor hassle). Bus is obviously direct to Port Authority.
- There are 3 commuter lots, but one is open to even non-residents for free, which is ridiculous. I've only had parking issues when leaving very late like 11 am though. I can walk 12 minutes to the station, but I'm just lazy (there are also bike racks).

I personally MUCH prefer the relaxing train commute over a shorter but traffic/noise/odor prone bus any day.

Btw, Emerson's "family town" moniker is very apt, and there are 2 huge supermarkets and even weekly farmer's market (albeit tiny by Union Sq standards). The borough hall and neighbors are amazingly friendly. Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey