Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 01:16 PM

262 posts, read 795,256 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

My wife and I are considering putting in an offer on a house in North Brunswick, by the HS/Judd School, situated between Rte 1 and Rte 130.

I work in Midtown Manhattan, and wanted to see if anyone knew what my options would be by bus.

I know that there is a Coach bus that leaves from East Brunswick Tower Center, but I believe there is like a 3-year waiting list to park there.

Anyone know of any express bus stops, or park & rides, where I wouldn't run into the "waiting list issue"?

I'm willing to take any bus...NJ Transit, Coach, Academy, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 02:04 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,001,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by focus282 View Post
Hey guys,

My wife and I are considering putting in an offer on a house in North Brunswick, by the HS/Judd School, situated between Rte 1 and Rte 130.

I work in Midtown Manhattan, and wanted to see if anyone knew what my options would be by bus.

I know that there is a Coach bus that leaves from East Brunswick Tower Center, but I believe there is like a 3-year waiting list to park there.

Anyone know of any express bus stops, or park & rides, where I wouldn't run into the "waiting list issue"?

I'm willing to take any bus...NJ Transit, Coach, Academy, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Why wouldnt you take the train from Jersey Ave? Its got daily parking spots. It took me two years to get parking permit. In addition to the daily spots, you can get parking at a private lot next to station for $100 month, instantly. Daily parking i believe is $8 a day.

Trains leave every 15 minutes or so in the am, last train leaves at 9:18 am. They are all express trains to newark, then on to NY Penn. Each train is about 60 minutes to get there. From 130 you can be at Jersey Ave in about 5 minutes.

On the evening commute you can grab an express train to Jersey Ave. First stop is Metropark (after Newark Penn). You could grab the 6:13pm out of NY Penn and be home in 45 minutes as that train expresses to New Brunswick.

I live in the area and make the same commute. The best part is, the trains originate in Jersey ave so you ALWAYS get a seat, and they originate in NY Penn, so you ALWAYS get a seat on the way home too. Its a nice ride, not bad at all.

I live off 130 as well, my door to seat commute is appx 1 hr 25 min (midtown office).

Old 04-09-2012, 02:58 PM

I'm just used to taking the bus, and find it is more reliable. I've had such problems every time I've had to take the NE Corridor line out of New Brunswick - I feel like if there is any rain or snow whatsoever, that there are major delays.

You find it reliable? Do you mind if I ask how much a monthly pass is? And also, how much the parking is, once you get the permit?

Thanks!

Old 04-09-2012, 03:12 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,001,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by focus282 View Post
I'm just used to taking the bus, and find it is more reliable. I've had such problems every time I've had to take the NE Corridor line out of New Brunswick - I feel like if there is any rain or snow whatsoever, that there are major delays.

You find it reliable? Do you mind if I ask how much a monthly pass is? And also, how much the parking is, once you get the permit?

Thanks!
Bus more reliable than rail? No way. Parking costs $180 paid quarterly ($60 a month) to the New Brunswick Parking Authority. Get your name on the list ASAP. Do it today, they dont require any proof of residency.

The private lots are $100 a month. Monthly to NY Penn is $361.

On Rt 27 and Van Dyke Ave there is a CoachUSA Bus Yard. They have a free park and ride. That may be helpful for you.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:18 PM

Thanks, Tony!

Old 04-09-2012, 04:37 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,355,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Bus more reliable than rail? No way. Parking costs $180 paid quarterly ($60 a month) to the New Brunswick Parking Authority. Get your name on the list ASAP. Do it today, they dont require any proof of residency.

The private lots are $100 a month. Monthly to NY Penn is $361.

On Rt 27 and Van Dyke Ave there is a CoachUSA Bus Yard. They have a free park and ride. That may be helpful for you.
Agreed with everything Tony states, except that there is any need to rush for a parking permit. JA Permit Parking has been readily available for many months now. There is no waiting list AFAIK. My most recent rides past the station on weekdays seem to show it's only about half filled.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:38 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,751,821 times
Theres a new garage going up in New Brunswick , it should open in the Fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey