Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 09:19 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,354,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia013 View Post
I grew up in Kearny - Lived there 36 years before moving to Southern California. There are definitely things I miss about Kearny and NJ. We lived right next to the West Hudson Park. I kind of miss watching the seasons change and the people and the wonderful fish and chip places like the Argyle....and they do NOT know how to make decent pizza on this coast so I miss that too. Kearny was a great place to grow up in. I went to McKinley elementary (torn down ages ago) and then on to Washington Middle school and then to Kearny High. Great memories. :-)
I lived in Kearny from birth until I was 24 on the corner of Sheridan and Belgrove Dr. (gee Patricia...we may have passed each other by or even knew each other at some point), worked in the town for several years beyond that. That section is on the side closer to Newark. Basically it all depends on what side of town you're looking at. If you go towards North Arlington you have some pretty nice homes, very accessible to routes 3, 17, the Lincoln and Holland Tunnel. Some great places around Secaucus as well. If you go towards the end closer to Newark it gets a little sketchier. Not a big fan of that section of town.

Washington Middle School and Kearny High...I went to Washington from K-8 and then Kearny High. Small world....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 08:48 PM

5,816 posts, read 12,580,267 times
The north part of Kearny, west of the main drag is known as the Manor section. My brother lives there and I will tell you that some of the homes are extremely large and beautiful. Its an older section but all nice one family homes. He lives on Pleasant Place a couple of blocks south of the North Arlington border. The southern part is more urban with smaller lots 25 by 100. My brothers lot is 100 by 100 nicely treed with a built in pool. His property taxes are 13,000. Safety fairly decent. Some car break ins and a burglary once in a while. He tells me the south part has more crime than the north part.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:13 PM

8 posts, read 31,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
the cops teachers and firemen have to be paid and while CA did a bit of income redistribution with prop 13, the bottom line is if government is going to continue to deliver services, the money needs to be raised and one way or another they will find a way to get it from you in taxes, be it property, income, fuel whatever, they will get it. The only real way to lower the tax burden is to force government to spend less.
New Jersey is in debt - as is California. I llisten to a NJ radio station daily and am up on the taxation problem there. I don't think any state is fat and happy - California is in debt too but we still manage to pay our police, firemen and other services. New Jersey does too...the difference is when you hit property tax and hit it heavily - the elderly and the poor have no chance at all. Here, I can budget and I can do without and still save the roof over my head, but in NJ, I would lose my home because I'm retired and live on a fixed income. I am appalled that the people of New Jersey allowed this to happen. I spent the first 36 years of my life there and always felt the people of that state were gutsy and independent people with great hearts. I feel very very sad for those who have lived there all their lives in that state and paid taxes all those years and now find they can't afford it. Taxation should never be that cruel!

Old 01-01-2008, 11:23 PM

winter - I'm well adjusted to Southern California now and will never leave here. For years and years I was so homesick for NJ. Its a shame that if I wanted to go back I can't because I can no longer afford it. I live in Yorba Linda, CA. one of the wealthiest cities in all of California yet they have provided nicely for the elderly and the poor. We get breaks in property tax and I even get a break on my phone, electric and gas. Not all cities do this so I feel very fortunate. I don't get that feeling in NJ. It seems to be that you either can afford to live there or go someplace else. Maybe its just my way of thinking but I feel that's awfully sad. I listen to NJ radion most every day and hear all the complaints about Corizine and his secret tax plans. Wow! I really have to scratch my head and wonder what in the world is going on out there.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:43 AM

223 posts, read 794,116 times
I used to know a lot of people in Lyndhurst and North Arlington when I was in high school back in the 1980s. Even then Kearny was considered to be the armpit of southern Bergen County (well, that's the case in Bergen County with every town north of those that come after, except for East Rutherford, which is north of Rutherford. East Rutherford is a dump. I heard Kearny has gotten worse due to the infestation of derelicts coming over from Newark, Union City and such. Newark is next door...you getting the picture?

Old 01-02-2008, 06:45 AM

5,816 posts, read 12,580,267 times
[quote=JimmyLane;2389794]I used to know a lot of people in Lyndhurst and North Arlington when I was in high school back in the 1980s. Even then Kearny was considered to be the armpit of southern Bergen County. I don't know where you get your info from but Kearny is located in Hudson County.

Old 01-02-2008, 05:50 PM

67 posts, read 247,127 times
Hi Patricia, I was just woundering if you knew Eugene's Taveran my Grandfather use to own it. I was born there then moved down the shore. The taveran is now the Elk's lodge.
I remember the park too. Chestnut trees,tulips, slides, and a pool.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I lived in Kearny from birth until I was 24 on the corner of Sheridan and Belgrove Dr. (gee Patricia...we may have passed each other by or even knew each other at some point), worked in the town for several years beyond that. That section is on the side closer to Newark. Basically it all depends on what side of town you're looking at. If you go towards North Arlington you have some pretty nice homes, very accessible to routes 3, 17, the Lincoln and Holland Tunnel. Some great places around Secaucus as well. If you go towards the end closer to Newark it gets a little sketchier. Not a big fan of that section of town.

Washington Middle School and Kearny High...I went to Washington from K-8 and then Kearny High. Small world....

Brian - I kind of doubt we ever passed one another. I moved from NJ a little over 30 years ago. When I lived there the end nearest Newark was not bad. There seemed to be an element moving in when we left. I probably remember a far different Kearny then it is right now. Yes, the part of town closer to North Arlington was always nicer - even back when I lived there, but the whole town in general was mostly just hard-working families. I have no idea what its like now.

I last visited back there in 1994 and it seemed at that time very little had changed....except property taxes were already getting out of hand. I met a lady with a nice little condo - much as I have here and she complained that her property tax was outrageous. Mine are now $1,300 per year on a condo worth approximately $330,000. Real estate here is still very very high even though the bottom seems to have dropped out of the market - still land and homes are scooped up in this area. I have heard tax on a condo like mine in NJ would be right out of my price range. So, I do miss the place but I could never go back there to live.

I'll see if I can post a picture here. Its the entrance to West Hudson Park in Kearny -right on Kearny Avenue. The picture is over 60 years old. My aunt took it and won a photography contest with it. When I was young the park was like this. The fountain in the center was stocked with koi and the water spouted from it all day long throughout the summer. In the winter it was covered. Anyway, thought folks here would enjoy seeing it.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:53 PM

Jerseyman - I ran across a post once before that claimed Kearny was in Bergen County :-) No, you're right it is in Hudson County - no way does it belong to "southern Bergen County". I moved from there back in 1977. It was never considered an "armpit" then. Kearny was known then as the "Paisley Spot" because of the predominance of scotch/irish folks. We had the bagpipers practicing in the park in back of our home every Saturday afternoon for hours on end. I don't know what it is like now since I haven't been back to visit since 1994 but it was a great little town to grow up in during the period I lived there.

Union, I vaguely remember going to an affair at the Elks Lodge but I can't for the life of me picture it or remember exactly where it is.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:56 PM

JimmyLane - I don't remember newark being next door....as I remember there was east newark, then harrison, then newark. It was close enough though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey