Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:05 AM

168 posts, read 336,994 times

Advertisements

I am counting on all my North Jersey experts to read this post and respond. After all, isn't city-data running the most informative poster contest? lol

So I am looking for rentals in North Jersey that with the following attributes:
  • commute to midtown Manhattan: no more than 1.25 hours, prefer taking a bus to Port Authority as opposed to Path and do not want to drive and park to take a bus
  • apartment houses (like 2-storey apartments) garden apartments, townhomes, or even apartments in private homes - but no buildings
  • prefer washer/dryer hook up or apartments that come with both
  • parking for residents and generally an area that is not so congested
  • need a two-bedroom apartment (ok if the second bedroom is significantly smaller) or just an apartment with an extra room like a den or office
  • any outdoor space is nice (nearby park, access to yard,
  • don't care about pets or schools
  • diversity (age, race/culture) is very important
  • price up to $1800
Can you tell me what areas I should be looking in to find some or most of the attributes above? I have been looking at Edgewater, Jersey City (but confused by the neighbordhoods there), Nutley, Bayonne, North Arlington, North Bergen, and Guttenberg. But I still want to know what specific areas I should target and any info you can give me on the lifestyle and community.

Thank you...remember, I'm counting on you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 12:29 PM

312 posts, read 683,327 times
There are some options that fit your criteria in Union County as well. There are a lot of apartments in the town of Union, and the 114 NJ Transit bus makes stops all along Morris Ave. You should be able to find something close enough to walk to one of the stops. The total time on the bus should be < 1 hour.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:31 PM

168 posts, read 336,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulinski View Post
There are some options that fit your criteria in Union County as well. There are a lot of apartments in the town of Union, and the 114 NJ Transit bus makes stops all along Morris Ave. You should be able to find something close enough to walk to one of the stops. The total time on the bus should be < 1 hour.

Thank you. I tried unsuccessfully looking at Union County a couple of years ago. I came up with nothing. I will try looking specifically at this bus route.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:48 PM

312 posts, read 683,327 times
I saw a few places that looked promising in Union just south of US-22, which is not really walkable to Morris Ave. However, at that location, you should be able to walk to a 114X or 117 stop along 22. If you use the Trip Planner on the NJ Transit website, it will tell you where the closest stop is to a particular address.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:44 PM

390 posts, read 1,363,030 times
Have you looked at South Orange? Under a half an hour train ride to Penn Station, big central walkable downtown and park, and one of North Jersey's most diverse towns!

Old 04-12-2012, 03:15 PM

862 posts, read 516,666 times
Cliffside Park has a lot of the housing options you seem to be looking for.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:06 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,135,192 times
There is also Montclair (very diverse), Cedar Grove, Verona, etc.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:36 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,780,459 times
Rutherford

Old 04-12-2012, 06:25 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,392,871 times
You could look significantly further west if you're willing to ride 75 minutes on the bus. I commute from Parsippany on the bus to Port Authority and it typically takes just about an hour. I also think you're more likely to find a nice apartment in your price range out in Morris County.

ETA I saw you don't want to drive/park and take the bus, but if it's cost that's informing that preference know that there's loads of free parking at the park-n-rides out here.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:40 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,120,636 times
I'm not sure of the price or washer/dryer, but Northfield Townhouses in West Orange meets the location requirements -- diverse, nearby park, #77 bus across the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey