Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 11:56 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkies341 View Post
Do you even realize how incredibly insulting you are when anonymously sharing opinion, while accusing people of "nonsensical handwringing" and "long-winded rants" for sharing their own? "I'm sure it's fine" is just not how I make major life decisions and I don't think it's a bad thing to consider all available facts. Here's the deal: I have three elementary-aged children with vastly different educational needs, including one in special ed due to profound dyslexia; I'd like to know that I'm putting them into an environment that will work for all of them, and where my eight year-old won't be written off into a corner because even with a high IQ and an IEP to help teach to his disability, his reading will never be good enough to hold up their Language Arts test scores (and yes there LOTS of supposedly great schools with that culture, of which group I attended one, and it was ugly for many kids). Your insulting characterization of my attempts was unnecessary and unkind, so yes, I did take the time to respond, in hopes that you might consider someone else's experience and POV before you attack. Having a child with neurological problems is HARD and we do the best we can for him and his siblings, with all of the info at our disposal. I won't waste your time responding again, though, I promise.
You should choose on DISTRICT performance, once you get into the nitty gritty of school x versus school y within a district you are, for the most part, splitting hairs. Especially in a town like Princeton.

The issue was correctly articulated by the other poster. A child who enters elementary school today will be there for the next 6+ years (depending on when they start..K,Pre-K, early intervention, etc.) That is a long time and there are ZERO guarantees that the awesome principal or the incredible teacher will still be there throughout your child's experience. This is even more true if the child was just born today or has younger siblings. When you are looking at a decade plus time period at a school you can't expect things to stay the same and always be "the best".

This is why it's splitting hairs and the other concerns about buying the home start to take on more weight and value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey