U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 08:23 AM

3 posts, read 7,748 times

Advertisements

There's a potential for us to relocate with a company located in Mountain Lakes, NJ. We are not at all familiar with the state, so need some guidance.

Moving from the deep south, but originally from Western NY, so comfortable going to a place where people talk normal ;-)

We have with 2 kids, high school is the most important thing, one is already in HS, one in 7th grade. They go to large public schools now, would prefer to keep them in a larger school that offers a good football program for one, and marching band for the other. Will budget for private schools if necessary.

I play tennis, so need to be near a club or a good facility that offers tennis.

Budget is around 500-700K, depending on taxes. (Yes, I'm prepared for tripling what I pay in real estate taxes now).

Would like a neighborhood, at least a 2 car garage, newer home.

Recommendations on cities or neighborhoods for us?
Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 09:13 AM

206 posts, read 447,765 times
I think Morris Twp sounds perfect, you can get a really great house in that price range. Short commute, big high school that sends plenty of kids to top colleges, and a great downtown with lots of activities. Some people might recommend the towns with elite schools (mtn lakes, chatham, etc) but you won't get a great newer home in those towns on that budget, plus those tend to be smaller schools.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:40 AM

738 posts, read 2,280,142 times
Thanks for the info! Is Mountain Lakes just a more expensive area, or is it not residential? It sounds so pretty!

Old 04-20-2012, 11:49 AM

13,320 posts, read 20,133,835 times
Mountain Lakes is an expensive area, yes. It is however a great place to own a home if you can afford to there. It does have some tennis that you like. It is not far from the Mall or other places you might visit. There are some good doctors in that area.
People over the years have wanted their children to go to the Mountain Lakes schools. Those schools have a very good reputation.
It is a very personable and charming place. Some of the older homes have been refirbished and refined.
However, if you can not afford to live in Mountain Lakes you could work there and live in the next town over, Denville.
Denville also has a good school system. Denville is a town full of lakes and that makes it wonderful for families. My favorite lake in that town is Lake Arrowhead. From Lake Arrowhead you can easily take the back road into Mountain Lakes. It is an easy and short route in to that town.
Lake Arrowhead has a clubhouse and lots of swimming activites for the kids. The lake is great for ice skating and having a boat on. ( non powered boats)
Other nice lakes are Indian Lake or Rock Ridge Lake. All have swimming lakes. Indian Lake has two beaches and a clubhouse. You can use power boats on Indian lake.
Denville, is a cute charming town it has parks and get recreation areas. ( my own dad built many of them)
Best of luck to you.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:21 PM

2,510 posts, read 5,527,273 times
IMO Mountain lakes is not at all a good fit for your budget. While there are houses available in that range the only ones that will be decent will be at the very top of it. I would look at Livingston and the Caldwells.

This one looks great, but I think it's already sold.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10...55562236_zpid/

Old 04-20-2012, 03:38 PM

206 posts, read 447,765 times
Mountain Lakes is an extremely nice town but you won't get the house you want in your price range there. Morris Twp and Denville are both very nice towns nearby that will have good houses in your range, perhaps Randolph as well. Parts of Denville have flooding issues so watch out for that, Morris Twp doesn't have a top-tier high school (but it is big and does have some top-tier students), and Randolph doesn't have a town center like the other two do. Livingston and Caldwell are nice towns but then you're getting into Essex County with ridiculous property taxes.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:52 PM

5,397 posts, read 13,101,200 times
That is a nice part of NJ, many residential towns nearby, Denville, Rockaway Township, etc.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:28 PM

13,320 posts, read 20,133,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis44 View Post
Mountain Lakes is an extremely nice town but you won't get the house you want in your price range there. Morris Twp and Denville are both very nice towns nearby that will have good houses in your range, perhaps Randolph as well. Parts of Denville have flooding issues so watch out for that, Morris Twp doesn't have a top-tier high school (but it is big and does have some top-tier students), and Randolph doesn't have a town center like the other two do. Livingston and Caldwell are nice towns but then you're getting into Essex County with ridiculous property taxes.
Yes, you don't want to live by the river in Denville or in town locations.
Lake Arrowhead sits up and is quite safe. It is such a charming place and worth the visit. Since it is just one small road into your http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/15...39409426_zpid/work area of Mountain Lakes. Much better prices too.

This is a "lake front" very desired in Lake Arrowhead!

Last edited by Summering; 04-20-2012 at 06:42 PM..

Old 04-20-2012, 06:56 PM

1,587 posts, read 2,122,131 times
I believe part of Boonton Twp goes to Mountain Lakes H.S. and there are newer developments there.

Mountain Lakes is one of the best high schools in the state. It is often ranked #1 in Morris County, along with Chatham, on some measures (SAT scores I think). They are also known for excellent sports programs. It is a small town with a lot of enthusiasm for sports and academics. You'd have to check which sports are the strong ones...some towns put more into certain sports esp with a smaller population (I think that HS has 800-900 students). Hmmm...now I see you want a larger HS. Then Morristown may be the one you want. I'd look at the football stats for the various towns...some have much stronger programs than others. Also, does he play Lacrosse? Some of the football players like it - and some towns are really into Lacrosse (I think Mt Lakes may be one).

You could also go north up 287...somewhere like Montville or Mahwah will have newer homes. Also going west, Sparta might be within commuting distance - it is more rural but have heard they have strong sports programs.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:18 AM

292 posts, read 622,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColliervilleMom View Post
Thanks for the info! Is Mountain Lakes just a more expensive area, or is it not residential? It sounds so pretty!
It is. But, its also very expensive. I'd look into Morris Township, Florham Park, Montville, Boonton, and Denville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey