Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 03:16 PM

453 posts, read 1,737,949 times

Advertisements

A hidden gem is Anna Maria Island, just north of Longboat Key and west of Bradenton. This NY times article is a few years old but nothing has changed. I hope to spend many weeks there in the future as retirement looms.

Perfecting the Fine Art of Doing Nothing

It's a nice drive from Tampa airport, not a big deal. No high rise hotels, just low rise condos, some motels, B&Bs, etc. See TripAdvisor. This time of year is perfect, too.

There are some good YouTubes, too. I like this one:

Tour Anna Maria Island, Florida

Rhys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 03:56 PM

262 posts, read 796,333 times
Thanks for all the suggestions. Siesta Keys/Sarasota seems pretty popular on here! How easy/hard is it to get there?

Old 04-18-2012, 07:12 AM

88,222 posts, read 84,127,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by focus282 View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. Siesta Keys/Sarasota seems pretty popular on here! How easy/hard is it to get there?
What do you mean? Are you driving? Go south. I-95.

Flying--there are a number of flights from EWR to Sarasota every day. < 2.5 hours flight time.

Not sure what your question means...

Old 04-18-2012, 07:18 AM

262 posts, read 796,333 times
I had checked Kayak, and couldn't find any flights departing from Newark, that's why I was asking the question. Thought maybe I would have to fly into another area and drive there.

Just checked again, and still not finding any. Do you know what airline flies direct from EWR to Sarasota?

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:18 AM

453 posts, read 1,737,949 times
No; Continental stopped that a few years ago, unfortunately. You have to fly through Atlanta or other places. It's a shame because that airport was a pleasure to use. Last I looked the best fares were into Tampa. I don't mind the ride from there, though.

BTW, if you would like to learn more about the area, check out the specific City data forum. Pretty friendly bunch.

Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice Area Forum

Rhys

Old 04-18-2012, 08:54 AM

244 posts, read 596,432 times
Quote:
I had checked Kayak, and couldn't find any flights departing from Newark, that's why I was asking the question. Thought maybe I would have to fly into another area and drive there.

Just checked again, and still not finding any. Do you know what airline flies direct from EWR to Sarasota?

Thanks!
We always fly to Tampa since SRQ is always expensive. It's only a 1 hour drive to Siesta Key.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:39 AM

128 posts, read 354,209 times
Jet Blue has non stop from JFK to Sarasota. Siesta Key is fabulous!! Not sure of your budget, but if you can afford it, check out Hyatt Siesta Key Beach. One of the best hotels I've ever stayed at.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:44 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,954,131 times
When are you looking to go? That could really drive whether something closer makes sense; whereas some parts of FL are awfully hot in the middle of summer.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:59 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,559,700 times
Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach is pretty relaxed.It the first island when you come into Florida. That would be a 15-20 hour drive from NJ but around 30 minutes from Jacksonville International Airport( direct flights from Newark and Philadelphia) Not blue water beaches like the keys.

If you want blue water go south of Cape Canaveral on the East Coast or the Gulf. Destin, Panama City and Pensacola have really nice beaches. But it would probably be pricey to fly to Panama City, Tallahassee or Pensacola because they are smaller airports. That part of the state may have some good deals related to restoring tourism after the 2010 oil spill in the gulf

Old 04-18-2012, 07:08 PM

88,222 posts, read 84,127,726 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysNJ View Post
No; Continental stopped that a few years ago, unfortunately. You have to fly through Atlanta or other places. It's a shame because that airport was a pleasure to use. Last I looked the best fares were into Tampa. I don't mind the ride from there, though.

BTW, if you would like to learn more about the area, check out the specific City data forum. Pretty friendly bunch.

Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice Area Forum

Rhys
Really, I'm sorry, I didn't know you couldn't fly from Newark to Sarasota anymore. I used to go to Punta Gorda all the time, and at first we had to fly into Sarasota and drive an hour because there were no non-stops to Fort Myers. Then that changed, and we started to fly there. But before that we always left from Newark and went to Sarasota. I just assumed non-stop flights still went there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey