Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:47 AM

5 posts, read 6,002 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I'm new here. My girlfriend and I have been having a hard time finding a place that suits our needs. It's understandable, as our requirements might be a little unique. I would really appreciate any help with this. Here's the deal;

I'm currently in Metuchen, and work in the Edison area. My gf is in Brooklyn, and works in Manhattan(UWS). We have a 55lbs dog, but he is super friendly, quiet, and very well behaved.

My gf wants a place with fast commute, and train line that runs frequently as she gets off of work at all hours of the night. For this reason, she really prefers the Path. She would also prefer an area where she can get by ok without needing a car. Close to shopping, restaurants, etc.

I want a place with a driveway and within a reasonable drive to Edison every day. I would really like a Single-Family house. I am a musician(as a hobby), and would really love a bit more freedom for making a little noise. Not crazy loud or unreasonable hours, mind you. But, I'd rather have to worry less about it. A small yard for the dog would be nice as well.

My gf tried living with me in Metuchen, but says she cannot do it again. Constant problems with the trains, commute too long, trains not running frequently enough so that she gets stuck waiting a long time for a return trip, etc. So we need to compromise. We really don't want to have to go higher than $2,200. I'm hoping some of you guys who know the area might have some suggestions for us.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 04:09 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
There isn't really any place that's an easy drive to Edison and with train access to the UWS better than Metuchen. Your choices would basically be Jersey City, Hoboken (both with a terrible drive out of there), Harrison (may not have the housing you want), Newark (enough said). All of those involve either the Turnpike or the Parkway to get to Edison. If she can get a car, driving to Harrison Station is an option from a number of towns.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
There isn't really any place that's an easy drive to Edison and with train access to the UWS better than Metuchen. Your choices would basically be Jersey City, Hoboken (both with a terrible drive out of there), Harrison (may not have the housing you want), Newark (enough said). All of those involve either the Turnpike or the Parkway to get to Edison. If she can get a car, driving to Harrison Station is an option from a number of towns.
Thanks for the reply. I don't mind driving on the turnpike or parkway. We found a single-family house for rent in Bayonne right near the 45th street light rail(connects to path) that would've been great, and were both ready to do it. Something happened though, and it's now unavailable. We also almost took a condo in the Foundry. Either of those would've been fine for me. I don't mind a 30 minute or so drive, really.

We almost took a place in Union City, but there wasn't much to walk to around there, and the drive would've been pushing it a bit for me.
My gf has a car, but she was hoping to get rid of it and she says she really prefers not having to drive anywhere to get to work. That leaves buses or trains, I guess.

We also looked around a bit in Jersey City, but the only places coming close to having what we want in our price range are in Journal Square or the Bergen/Lafayette area. That's not preferable for us. I've looked around in North Ironbound in Newark, but wasn't thrilled with the area.

I'm still actively looking in Bayonne, as I think that area could work for us. I've been considering other towns that connect to the path. Looking at a nj transit map, maybe Lyndhurst or Rutherford? My gf is skeptical that the trains run frequently enough there, but I will look into any recommendations.

Thanks again

Old 04-22-2012, 07:10 AM

63 posts, read 182,379 times
Bayonne does seem like your best bet, but you might also look at Weehawken. The buses run frequently, so it would work for your gf, and your drive wouldn't be quite as bad as from Hoboken or Jersey City. I think you could find something in your budget there, and it's a little livelier than Bayonne.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:33 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,253 times
Rutherford is definitely an option. The trains are pretty frequent as are the buses that run through the town, though aren't direct to Penn. She'd have to transfer at Secaucus or take the PATH from Hoboken. Commute into the city would be relatively quick, it's a very walkable town.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:30 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Note that the light rail is not a 24/7 operation either.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauras23 View Post
Bayonne does seem like your best bet, but you might also look at Weehawken. The buses run frequently, so it would work for your gf, and your drive wouldn't be quite as bad as from Hoboken or Jersey City. I think you could find something in your budget there, and it's a little livelier than Bayonne.
Thanks for the suggestion. We looked at a few places in Weehawken, and we thought it was beautiful there. It's a bit far for me, but the drive wasn't too bad. If we can find a place that suits our needs, I can definitely see that as a possibility. I'm going to keep looking there, too. Any areas you'd recommend? The few places we saw were right off of JFK, near Port Imperial. Very pretty, but I didn't see much to walk to. Going to take another look.

Thanks

Old 04-23-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Rutherford is definitely an option. The trains are pretty frequent as are the buses that run through the town, though aren't direct to Penn. She'd have to transfer at Secaucus or take the PATH from Hoboken. Commute into the city would be relatively quick, it's a very walkable town.
Thanks. I've been wanting to check out that town, as I've never been there. We checked the train schedule for Rutherford, and at peak times they only run every hour. Am I missing something? My gf definitely wouldn't like that at all.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:00 AM

63 posts, read 182,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cflat View Post
Any areas you'd recommend? The few places we saw were right off of JFK, near Port Imperial. Very pretty, but I didn't see much to walk to. Going to take another look.

Thanks
There are some places to walk to (for errands--not so much for scenic walks) on Boulevard East (JFK), and also on Park Avenue by the public library, which is an area I like. If you go down to the waterfront, there are parks, and some newer chain stores/restaurants. In general, Weehawken isn't as walkable as Hoboken or downtown Jersey City, though you can walk to Hoboken if you don't mind a longer stroll.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:06 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cflat View Post
Thanks. I've been wanting to check out that town, as I've never been there. We checked the train schedule for Rutherford, and at peak times they only run every hour. Am I missing something? My gf definitely wouldn't like that at all.
Yes, you are missing something. I took the BC train line for years, and I knew that didn't sound right--it's roughly every half hour during peak hours, not every hour.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/rail/R0020.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey