U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 63,762 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I've been looking around lots of forums and google answers and can't get an accurate, step-by-step explanation of what is involved in the closed course road test at Bakers Basin. Can you remember/describe, in as much detail as you can, your road test?

I took a practice drive around the course today, and it seems incredibly easy, but I am still concerned about what little things they look for in the test, such as what the speed limit is, if they make you park on the hill, at what point they make to drive backwards and things like that. The DMV site lists "what's tested", but doesn't list them in any particular order.

[url=http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/RoadTest.htm]State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission[/url]

Also, here is a google map of the closed course, for those who aren't familiar with the bakers basin course.

[url=http://g.co/maps/3zav8]3200 Brunswick Pike Route 1 North Lawrenceville, NJ 08648 - Google Maps[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 10:29 PM

2,810 posts, read 7,469,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime109 View Post
Hey All,

I've been looking around lots of forums and google answers and can't get an accurate, step-by-step explanation of what is involved in the closed course road test at Bakers Basin. Can you remember/describe, in as much detail as you can, your road test?

I took a practice drive around the course today, and it seems incredibly easy, but I am still concerned about what little things they look for in the test, such as what the speed limit is, if they make you park on the hill, at what point they make to drive backwards and things like that. The DMV site lists "what's tested", but doesn't list them in any particular order.

State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Also, here is a google map of the closed course, for those who aren't familiar with the bakers basin course.

3200 Brunswick Pike Route 1 North Lawrenceville, NJ 08648 - Google Maps
At Bakers Basin, they make you do the whole test in reverse LOL

Seriously, I watched our daughter do it a couple of years ago. It appeared to be quite simple. You do the circuit, it is short and tight so your speed can't be more than 25 or 30 (they have speed limit signs).

The only reverse driving she did was her parallel parking.

A couple of her friends didn't pass but they did stupid stuff like palming the wheel and not staying in their lane, don't forget to stop short of the white line.

Be comfortable, not cocky, you will do fine!
Good Luck!

Old 05-03-2012, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 63,691 times
Not to disappoint you, but couple of my friends were failed apparently for no reason. Even i was there when they gave the test. The only reason the examiner gave was a cross hands while looping in the circle at Bakers Basin circuit. I think, cross hands may cut a few points during a test, but should not be the only reason to fail someone in the test. Sometimes luck just didnt work in ones favor...... Be cool and do the best you can..... Should be OK.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 62,592 times
Are you allowed to take a practice drive around the course?

Old 08-19-2012, 10:36 AM

2,810 posts, read 7,469,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey m View Post
It's done all the time, go over on a Sunday and you will run into some "traffic" on the Bakers Basin course.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:40 PM

5,485 posts, read 13,472,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey m View Post
I think technically you might not be officially supposed to practice drive the test course. Unofficially it's probably done often.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:48 AM

3 posts, read 116,726 times
Hi I too have test in 2 weeks.. Please guide me with instructions
What do they ask..I have been to the closed course its easy..

Do they ask:

Parallel Parking ..car should be within white line only?
K-turn with cones?
Uphill - Downhill Parking
100 feet reverse
Stop and Yield are signs already
Steering Hand Over Hand?

Please please please guide me..I want to pass this test at any cost..

Old 07-26-2013, 12:59 AM

3 posts, read 116,726 times
Yipee Got my license at Baker's Basin first time itself.

Step-By-Step Answers to my above questions:
1)Parallel Parking car should be within the same lane..inside yellow line.Then start pulling car in parallel Parking lot.Make sure that car should be within 6 feet of curb.Which I did Perfectly and examiner was very happy.

2)Will Ask K-Turn while pulling car out of Parallel Parking Cones.Make sure not to hit the cone.

3)They ask us to take car to uphill-downhill road..in course but no Parking is asked.

4)Ask to take car 100 feet in reverse followed by Parallel parking ,K-Turn

5)Make sure to Stop and Yield.Its must.

6)They will check Hand-Over-Hand while left-right turn.

Speed 10-15 miles.

Hope this tips helps to pass your test.
Practice in your car on weekend in closed course.You will Pass.Good luck ��

Old 03-21-2014, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 52,013 times
is the closed course open to practice on sunday or the days they are closed?

Old 01-12-2015, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 43,735 times
i once took it there and at the first obstacle the woman instructor who may i add was short, had dark brown hair and multiple ear piercing told me to go and reschedule my test and the proceeded to try to make me complete the corse of course i was not compliant because i was angry with her not even want to let me try. it was also to my surprise when i look at the yellow slip that all she had put down was what i did after she to me to go and reschedule rolling through stop signs and just plan refusing to parallel park because i had already failed to her it was the first thing she wrote down and then she fill in the of the sheet( i mean your sitting next to me i can read what you write down with my peripherals) also apparently you have to really exaggerated looking for traffic even though there is none, me as a very stationary person while driving found this detrimental to have to completely stop and then have to swig my head side to side to side just so they she would count it other then there horrid employees it is a fairly easy course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey