Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 07:03 AM

197 posts, read 798,330 times

Advertisements

For a young couple starting out its almost impossible to get started, first buying a house and eventually starting a family. The home prices are outrageous, but what kills you in the long run are the taxes.....It seems like you have to be dirt poor or really rich to live comfortably in this state. For example: Presently paying $928/month for a 1 bedroom apartment. Buying a house is really intimidating. Especially when your looking at mortgages starting out at $1,800/month and thats for a townhouse/single family in a decent area. Isn't the rule of thumb that your mortgage payment should equal 1 weeks net pay?? That $1800 also doesn't include other monthly expenses, (electric, gas, water, sewer, car insurance, phone, cable, food, gas) and any other expenses I may have missed. I've been looking over in PA and although I've found the closing costs to be higher (real-estate transfer tax, buyer pays), the bottom line is that in the long run association fees and taxes are lower. So after putting all your saved up money down on a house, you pay out less each month, so you get to fill up the reserve fund quicker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 08:41 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam23 View Post
Isn't the rule of thumb that your mortgage payment should equal 1 weeks net pay??
I think that rule of thumb, while a sound one, has gone the way of Burma Shave. The insaitiable need for federal, state and local governments to tax us to death is the reason. If you check out your paystub, and compare the gross to net pay, you'll likely be outraged. And it goes a long way towards explaining why housing is no longer affordable for most. That saying was crafted many generations ago, when 40% of your pay did not vanish automatically before you even saw it.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:44 AM

168 posts, read 500,087 times
Default Standard of living

Boston Tea Party!!!!

Old 09-17-2007, 09:25 AM

522 posts, read 1,584,435 times
Check out the Pa forum. They are very friendly over there and would help you locate a town that would best suit you and your family. Good Luck!

Old 09-17-2007, 10:02 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseynj View Post
Check out the Pa forum. They are very friendly over there and would help you locate a town that would best suit you and your family. Good Luck!
I agree that there are definitely very beautiful parts of PA, and *in general* it's cheaper there. ETA: Pennsylvania is on my mental list when I think about moving back to the NE in the future.

Watch out for new "developments"--my fabulously low-cost house in the Poconos in the late 90s DOUBLED in taxes after two years of my living there. Why? Because it's the same as anywhere else--when a place becomes desirable and begins to be filled up, more stuff is needed (more schools...more upkeep on more frequently-traveled roads...police...fire dept...etc.).

You will find on many forums that people have the same complaint just about anywhere in the U.S. that is local to a major city. I'm not downplaying NJ residents' angst about taxes, high home prices and/or high cost of living but all you will hear over and over again, all across the nation (check the Los Angeles forum some time, good God), is, "Why does it cost so much more now than when I was young...why are homes so much larger a chunk of the average income...why are the cities spreading wider and wider...what happened to small-town America...the middle-class is becoming extinct," etc. NYC is a MAJOR hub, not just of the northeast but, in many ways (for example, financial, etc.), of the country, so the surrounding areas feel the heat of that. This is a TOUGH situation and I hear you. Hon, it probably doesn't make you feel any better, but we are all in the same boat...feeling we're being squeezed out of what "used to be" livable (financially) areas, wondering how we can live in a safe, quiet area but still have a job that brings in any cash...feeling we're squeezed into either living in a crazy-busy and expensive area that's close to work, or moving to a cheaper area and commuting two hours...trust me, it's the same all over.

Sorry...that probably didn't help. I just wanted you to know that your feelings about this are real; many people are dealing with this and you are not alone. That's probably why so many people do relocate today. It's very tricky and sort of a tightrope walk to figure out how you can live close enough to get to a high-paying job, yet live in an affordable area. Many people (myself included) must also throw "good schools!" and "safe neighborhood!" into the mix. This only makes it tougher yet. I wish you luck in finding the perfect place for you.

Last edited by JerZ; 09-17-2007 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: "hours," not "areas"

Old 09-17-2007, 12:31 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
It is the illegals

It they were not here towns like paterson, passaic, hudson county, and loads of areas of NYC would open up. There would be more space available, thus more supply

Old 09-17-2007, 08:14 PM

882 posts, read 3,536,886 times
You *really* can't believe that, can you?

Maybe I'm confused about the number of reported 'illegals' in the NYC/NJ area.. however, I'm *well* familiar with the overwhelming number in the southeast...

Growth begets growth, no matter WHERE you live. I've seen in in small town USA and moreover in big city/metro areas.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:14 PM

765 posts, read 2,637,323 times
I relocated to Florida (Orlando) because I was in a similar situation (priced out of the state). Now I wish I could afford to move back to NJ. It is no picnic down here and good paying jobs are very hard to come by here. I have been down here over three years and have yet to get a good job. You may want to think twice before relocating, if that is your choice. The grass is not always greener someplace else.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:52 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrufast View Post
You *really* can't believe that, can you?

Maybe I'm confused about the number of reported 'illegals' in the NYC/NJ area.. however, I'm *well* familiar with the overwhelming number in the southeast...

Growth begets growth, no matter WHERE you live. I've seen in in small town USA and moreover in big city/metro areas.
How is it that people are being priced out? More demand than there is SUPPLY.

I work in property management in NYC. Some of these illegals have taken over vast neighborhoods. Now those neighborhoods become inaccesible for lots of people because they do not want to live in "those" neighborhoods.

Which means the supply is now low. But there is still a high demand. Yes there will ALWAYS BE A HIGH DEMAND, but the supply should be higher too to make things more fair. But that is not the case

The supply is down in major metro areas, and why?

Now not everyone in "those neighborhoods" are illegals, but a large percentage must be

We have immigration quotas, and I doubt we would set that number so high as to allow a particular country to carve out SO MANY of its own niches here on our soil.

Last edited by NJ Chutzpah; 09-17-2007 at 10:04 PM..

Old 09-17-2007, 11:13 PM

562 posts, read 2,614,738 times
if you have such a feeling of illegal immigrants taking over neighborhoods.. it's probably b/c you are letting them..
I live in Elizabeth, and at one time Elmora section was mostly Jewish people.. now it's extremely diverse.. approx 3 years ago many illegal immigrants started to move in the area.. sometimes there would be 8-10 people on a 3 bedroom apt. as this started happening many people started moving out of the area.. so nowadays more middle class people started to move in again b/c of the proximity to NYC and affordable housing.. rent/owned.. the area is starting to shift again.. many illegal immigrants can't afford living here and many owners do not want apartment stacking as they destroy the apts.. so the neighborhood is starting to pick up again..
keep in mind that NOT all illegal immigrants ruin neighborhoods.. it's also those ghetto fabulous people..
if you don't do anything to maintain your neighborhoods, don't complain.. as I call the cops everytime I see something weird.. noise.. loitering.. etc.. You have to take it personal as it's your neighborhood they are damaging.. believe me once you start talking to neighbors, you'll find out that they too feel the same way.. I have..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey