U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-17-2007, 12:36 PM

2,738 posts, read 6,291,778 times
Default Homeowners Insurance for Old Homes?

Have a house officially built in 1900, currently under contract, and I am trying to get some options together for homeowners insurance. Quote from Esurance is apparently going to take 2-3 days, allstate won't insure a home more than 90yrs old, etc.

Anyone here have an old home they insure? Who are you using?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 12:38 PM

7,081 posts, read 24,174,349 times
I've always worked with Chubb. They're pricey, but they're amazingly wonderful when you do have a claim.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:48 PM

1,363 posts, read 4,075,425 times
We use State Farm. Our house was built in 1910.

Old 09-17-2007, 01:15 PM

3,235 posts, read 6,077,928 times
Are you eligible for NJM? They will be the cheapest if you can get 'em. We also priced out with USAA (again if you are eligible) but they were over double what NJM was.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:12 PM

No go on NJM or NJAA unfortunately... and I won't use State Farm anymore. Recently tried screwing over my gf after a car accident where she was run off the road, and they've been giving her the run around (read: lying through their teeth, trying not to pay whats in the agreement) ever since.

For anyone interested, got a quote back from NJ Skylands insurance - very reasonable! If anyone has experience with them, I'd definitely be interested there too

-Joe

Old 09-17-2007, 03:21 PM

3,235 posts, read 6,077,928 times
Too bad on NJM. Wait...don't you work for yourself? If you have your own company you should get yourself set-up with them. Painful, but totally worth it.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Too bad on NJM. Wait...don't you work for yourself? If you have your own company you should get yourself set-up with them. Painful, but totally worth it.
Nope, work for a large firm now...but might be starting up my side business again now that I'll have a real home office to work in again I'll definitely look into it, thanks!

Old 09-17-2007, 06:07 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,128,601 times
You could check with Proformance. I live on the water and had trouble finding someone to insure me and they came through.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:27 AM

Ugh.

After a few months, I now have insurance woes.

So I just got a letter from my insurance company, telling me my insurance will be cancelled two days after Christmas, for the following reasons:

* Roof has dry rot (inaccurate. The porch roof has the start of dry rot, as does the soffit fascia in two corners.)
* Front Porch, missing siding, dry rot and peeling paint (inaccurate. There is no missing siding on the front porch.)
* Rear Porch, missing siding, dry rot, and peeling paint (inaccurate once again. There is no rear porch - but if you were to call the steps out the back a porch, there is no dry rot, and the paint has been scraped for a month, with new paint on already. The area "missing siding" is not missing siding, the original siding is there, which is simply not matching the newer (but still old) siding, with partial work done to get new siding up over it.)
* Boarded up windows (inaccurate once again - I have no boarded up windows!)
* Missing Siding/Frame Exterior (again - I'm not missing any siding. wtf?)

So... wtf do I do here? Find another insurance company? Complain to the state dept of banking and insurance? Anyone ever see/deal with this crap?

Old 11-26-2007, 08:44 AM

4,652 posts, read 6,178,839 times
Allstate insures my home and it was built in 1880.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey