Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 01:14 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,975,563 times

Advertisements

OK, if you speak like this... "snobbery exists to some extent in each of these places, but it's certainly not a prevailing attitude that consumes the collective mentality of the town(s)"

... some folks just might think you sound a bit snobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 01:29 PM

88,504 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Jalikeakick View Post
i've lived in NJ my whole life and moved around a bit over the years, towns including Ridgewood, Chatham, Colts Neck and currently Westfield. Most people here seem to consider all of these to be "snobby" towns. Overall, I really have never found snobbery to be much of a matter of concern. Sure snobbery exists to some extent in each of these places, but it's certainly not a prevailing attitude that consumes the collective mentality of the town(s).
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
OK, if you speak like this... "snobbery exists to some extent in each of these places, but it's certainly not a prevailing attitude that consumes the collective mentality of the town(s)"

Haha, I didn't! I thought it was a well-constructed sentence. But mostly I like his username.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:50 PM

391 posts, read 1,475,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post

i LOL'd for real on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Haha, I didn't! I thought it was a well-constructed sentence. But mostly I like his username.
I'm a product of the Ridgewood public school system thank you very much.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:36 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,975,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK, great name after I finally sounded it out!

(and glad my comment was taken in the right spirit)

Old 05-04-2012, 04:51 PM

291 posts, read 976,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
look at more towns, and stop getting so caught up in the names of certain towns. there's plenty of houses out there. if you don't realize that then, yes, your options are limited.
Oh, we are looking at other towns, too. I even mentioned that in my first post in this thread. Thankfully, we are not in a big hurry to move right now, as we recently sold our first home and are renting from a flexible landlord while we look. So we're looking around and trying to maximize what we can get for our money, and saving a few more bucks while we do that. If we truly find that we can't get what we want, then we'll expand our search further. But it's all good, I'm sure we'll end up in the right place at the end of the day, wherever that may be.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Jalikeakick View Post
i LOL'd for real on that one.

I'm a product of the Ridgewood public school system thank you very much.
Well, there you go. We'll use you as a prop when new folks on here are seeking to settle in Ridgewood and asking about the schools.

I was born in Valley, does that count? Grew up next door in Midland Park, but I did go to secretarial school in Ridgewood! (If you need an explanation of what "secretarial school" was, I'll be happy to oblige.)

And I once worked part-time as a typesetter for The Ridgewood News!

Old 05-05-2012, 07:36 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,826,043 times
same here. I have been hunting for about 6 months now and nothing we like in our price range 500k-600k.

We did see couple of houses we like as soon as we put in the offer, there is some sort of bidding war. I hate that.

We have been looking at good towns, paramus, river edge, ridgewood. and now we are stretching further into Waldwick.

Hopefully we will find something soon, both my wife and I are getting impatient.

Are the Banks in NJ hiding foreclosure properties or something? I know Govt always in some kind of deal with the banks.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
same here. I have been hunting for about 6 months now and nothing we like in our price range 500k-600k.

We did see couple of houses we like as soon as we put in the offer, there is some sort of bidding war. I hate that.

We have been looking at good towns, paramus, river edge, ridgewood. and now we are stretching further into Waldwick.

Hopefully we will find something soon, both my wife and I are getting impatient.

Are the Banks in NJ hiding foreclosure properties or something? I know Govt always in some kind of deal with the banks.
Don't forget Midland Park, between Ridgewood and Waldwick.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:51 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,511 times
We looked at houses in Westfield. I always asked the question "why are they selling". And you really only get 1 of 3 answers.

1) The seller died and their kids are selling the house
2) The seller is moving out of state
3) The seller is buying a house somewhere else in town

Never heard
The seller is moving to XXX (where XXX is Scotch Plains, Cranford, Clark, ...)

When we looked at other towns, we would hear that the seller is moving to a different near by town

Old 05-05-2012, 08:39 PM

79 posts, read 153,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnetworking View Post
..... Are the Banks in NJ hiding foreclosure properties or something? I know Govt always in some kind of deal with the banks.
First of all there simply aren't many foreclosed properties in the nice areas, if there is any. And when you come across one in either foreclosed or short-sale situation, potential buyers will just bidding it back up to market level. We did find a short-sale property in WF but was told we are not going to get any bargain on it like what you would expect it to be if it is in other town. At the end of the day it is all about supply and demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey