Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 01:31 PM

3 posts, read 6,608 times

Advertisements

We are currently living in Fort Lee, NJ and are thinking to move to a better school district for our 4 years old girl. Both of us are working in mid town Manhattan so easy commute to the city is a must for us.

We have considered Ridgewood and Tenafly in NJ but seems like public transporatations will take min 75-90 mins. We have also looked at Great Neck, LI and really like its proximity to the city. However, the price tag and choices of the houses in GN really make us cringe.

We understand all of these places have high property tax. It seems like NJ gives you more bank for the buck but longer commute to the city.

Have I missed anything or what are you suggestions/comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 01:55 PM

189 posts, read 582,696 times
Having lived on long island most of my life and now living in NJ, I'm quite familiar with both. Taxes in Nassau county are outrageous and only getting worse with their current budget crisis, especially in the desirable school districts. NJ is obviously not without it's issues, but you will get more bang for your buck. Towns that are comparable to great neck would be millburn and summit. Similiar commutes and excellent schools with almost the same level of snobbery.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:56 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Bear in mind that if you raise your daughter in Lawn Guyland she will grow up speaking with a really horrible accent.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:56 PM

38 posts, read 92,621 times
We are facing the similar issue as yours. will like to share our experiences.

We have been looking for houses in Great Neck, Scarsdale, and now moving our target to RW.

I think that both have excellent public schools.

Property tax in Great Neck is little lower (for a $700k house, you pay about $1300 tax in Great Neck). But houses there are much more older, need lots of work.

LIRR takes about 30-40 minutes to Penn station, but you also need to add time getting to the train station. Parking in train station is hard, as I know. Unless you find a house within walking distance to the train station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJparent View Post
We are currently living in Fort Lee, NJ and are thinking to move to a better school district for our 4 years old girl. Both of us are working in mid town Manhattan so easy commute to the city is a must for us.

We have considered Ridgewood and Tenafly in NJ but seems like public transporatations will take min 75-90 mins. We have also looked at Great Neck, LI and really like its proximity to the city. However, the price tag and choices of the houses in GN really make us cringe.

We understand all of these places have high property tax. It seems like NJ gives you more bank for the buck but longer commute to the city.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:04 PM

189 posts, read 582,696 times
Is the long island any any worse than the jersey accent? Seems that jersey takes much more abuse in the media than LI, accents included.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:11 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiggerNY View Post
Is the long island any any worse than the jersey accent? Seems that jersey takes much more abuse in the media than LI, accents included.
LI accent, much worse as it affects the mental ability of its victims too. In NJ most people speak American English.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:36 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
That's because no one actually speaks like the people in the media who are purported to be from NJ do.

If you can find an actual native of New Jersey who pronounces his or her home state "Joisey", I will give you a prize.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:38 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,254,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJparent View Post

Ridgewood is not 90 minutes to midtown. More like 60 minutes, 75 is the very high end depending on what time and where in midtown. It is as short as 45.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:44 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
The Jersey accent so abused in the media was confined to a small area of the state, and pretty much no longer exists. If you want to hear it, you've got to go down to Florida where all the Jersey people retired to :-).

Old 04-25-2012, 12:39 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,032 times
What exactly is "the Jersey accent" though? The way I see it the state is split in two: the "North Jersey accent" which is pretty much the same as NYC, except I've noticed it tends to be rhotic (meaning you pronounce the R's) whereas NYers don't pronounce the R's. Then there is South Jersey, which is the same as Philadelphia in all regards. I suppose the "Jersey accent" people stereotype in the media is the northern variety that you hear on Jersey Shore, Real Housewives, etc.

Of course, there is a third group - people who speak with no discernible accent at all.

Edit: Wiki seems to confirm two of the things I said: first, that there is no single Jersey accent, and second, the rhotic nature of the North Jersey accent.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_English
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey