Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:20 AM

316 posts, read 943,263 times

Advertisements

I agree, but some good quality hard food helps a lot too, according to my vet. Our dogs have been on Innova for a few years and he says their teeth are in great shape. they also get brushed every time they go to the groomer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 02:58 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieguns View Post
I agree, but some good quality hard food helps a lot too, according to my vet. Our dogs have been on Innova for a few years and he says their teeth are in great shape. they also get brushed every time they go to the groomer.
Some clients use the Hills t/d diet kibble as treats for their dogs and it also helps - when the dog bites on the kibble the tooth goes in the middle of the kibble and it "brushes" them. The kibble is held together with a special fiber to create this effect. Works well when you can't brush them so I agree that diet definitely helps too.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
i basically have insurance in that i have a limit on how much i would spend on my dog in case of some major medical bills. i hope i dont reach that limit anytime soon because my wife may have a different opinion. but then i can offer her half of whatever the dog's surgery/treatment cost towards jewelry for her and we should be ok.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:14 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikieguns View Post
thanks. I understand your points. I have thought this through and have decided to give the pet insurance a try. As my dogs get older problems may arise. One of my yorkies is already starying to cough excessively and I have heard this might be sign of collapsed trachea. Either way, the main goal for having this insurance is to safeguard against the potential "major" issues - chronic diseases, accidents that require surgery, diagnostic tests, cancer, etc. Even if I put $50 a month away in a savings account it will take 5 years for that to equate to the cost of one major surgey (using $3,000 as an average cost), while if I have insurance I just pay the deductible and they cover the rest. If anyone has any experience or suggestions about the companies I have researched thus far, let me know. thanks!
read a lot of the reviews and comments online. i read a lot of negative things. also, keep in mind, they reserve the right to raise your premiums every year as your dog ages. anything that you've already talked to the vet about will not be covered, so don't mention that cough to anyone until you get the policy, and then make sure you read the terms, because there are waiting periods for various problems. some waiting periods are 12 months or longer from the time you start the policy.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:04 AM

2 posts, read 1,994 times
We have Petfirst Healthcare for both our pups, and I'd recommend it to everyone. We have NEVER had an issue. Now, mind you - they are muts, so I'm thinking that since they are not purebread, that has a lot to do with the great deal of what they do cover. That being said, if you have a breed that is prone to certain illness, you can buy a rider to add on to the policy to cover everything. The way I look at it is since we do keep up with ALL their shots, flea/tick and heartworm pills, the plan pretty much pays for itself. We got a higher plan, and all of this is covered including a yearly check up (up to a certain $ amt) and some other things such as teeth cleanings etc... I know of a few people that have had VIP - and were turned down for MOST claims. Petfirst, you mail it in after your vet signs off, and generally have a check in your hands in about 2 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: