Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,286 times

Advertisements

My husband's job is causing us to relocate to Northern Jersey. He will be working in East Hanover, so I am looking for town recommendations that have good schools (I have 4 kids, the oldest is 6 yrs and will be in 1st grade) within a reasonable commuting distance to my husband's job.

Where are you coming from? California
Why are you moving? Husband's job
Where will you be working ? East Hanover

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? ~$3,000/month
What kind of place are you looking for? House

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Yes, spouse, 4 kids (ages 6, 4, 2, and 6 months). No pets.
Do you need/want good public schools? YES! :-)

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in: safe, families with young children

List three things that are important to you in order of importance: good schools, family oriented, reasonable commute to East Hanover

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 01:44 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmom4 View Post
My husband's job is causing us to relocate to Northern Jersey. He will be working in East Hanover, so I am looking for town recommendations that have good schools (I have 4 kids, the oldest is 6 yrs and will be in 1st grade) within a reasonable commuting distance to my husband's job.

Where are you coming from? California
Why are you moving? Husband's job
Where will you be working ? East Hanover

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? ~$3,000/month
What kind of place are you looking for? House

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? Yes, spouse, 4 kids (ages 6, 4, 2, and 6 months). No pets.
Do you need/want good public schools? YES! :-)

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in: safe, families with young children

List three things that are important to you in order of importance: good schools, family oriented, reasonable commute to East Hanover

Thank you in advance!
I grew up in that area and you really can't go wrong in any of the towns around there. The schools are very good in most of Morris County, and the taxes are low for North Jersey. As a matter of fact, what would be called "mediocre" schools in New Jersey would be fabulous in other states.

Towns to check out:

East Hanover (very quiet town bisected by Route 10)
Florham Park (prettier than East Hanover, however, they share the high school)
Madison adorable town with great schools! But it probably won't fit into your price range.
Hanover Township (right next to East Hanover, and the sections of town are called "Whippany" and "Cedar Knolls" instead of Hanover Township)
Parsippany (very large town, you are sure to find something in your price range)

The only problem that you might have is renting a house as opposed to buying a house -- most houses are for sale, although you might find condos. When I tried Googling "houses for rent" it turned up mostly apartments and some condos).

I did find one house for rent in East Hanover:

MLS # 2924425 - 15 Cambridge Rd, East Hanover NJ, 07936 | Homes.com

Florham Park:

Homes for Rent in Florham Park, NJ | Homes.com

Madison (probably too pricey):

Homes for Rent in Madison, NJ | Homes.com

Old 05-07-2012, 07:28 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Randolph and Montville would also be worth a look. Both are within about 30 minutes of East Hanover, are a little more rural, with good schools.

Homes for Rent in Randolph, NJ | Homes.com

Old 05-07-2012, 09:21 AM

149 posts, read 596,187 times
I just noticed a for rent sign in front of a house in my neighborhood (Parsippany). It is unusual to see houses for rent in this area. The house is on Brooklawn Dr. and is fairly close to Littleton School. The next time I go by it I'll try to take note of the house number and Realtor.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:34 PM

149 posts, read 596,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_d_bear View Post
I just noticed a for rent sign in front of a house in my neighborhood (Parsippany). It is unusual to see houses for rent in this area. The house is on Brooklawn Dr. and is fairly close to Littleton School. The next time I go by it I'll try to take note of the house number and Realtor.
The house I saw for rent is at 107 Brooklawn Dr. It is 4 br. 2 bath for $2,750. You can check it out here http://hotpads.com/rentals/107-Brooklawn-Drive-Morris-Plains-NJ (broken link)

Old 06-30-2012, 07:37 PM

6 posts, read 12,869 times
We relocated from CA too, for job in East Hanover with preschool age kids. We r currently in hanover / cedar knolls area. Let me know where you settled down...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey