U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 04:46 PM

81 posts, read 160,276 times

Advertisements

I live in a townhome area where we have assigned parking. There are a few extra spaces for visitors. My next door neighbor has a larger than average work-type van that has been parked in one of the extra spaces for about a year. It has not moved during that time. It's old and about the size of a small Hertz truck - maybe 15 feet. But it is a real eye sore that we all have looked at for a very long time. It happens to be inches from my front door.

Hard to believe the association hasn't done something by now w/o anyone saying anything. The president drives by the van every day on her way home. Can't help but notice it's there and that it never moves.

Am I being petty and unreasonable? They are terrible neighbors in many other ways too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 06:36 PM

605 posts, read 1,764,361 times
Find out if it has current registration/tags. In our complex, the cars have to be current or they cannot be parked "stored" in visitor spots.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:50 PM

5,439 posts, read 14,352,381 times
check the association rules.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:37 PM

7,416 posts, read 7,383,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Many condo/townhome complexes do not allow parking of vehicles with commercial plates. Check that angle first, it's easiest.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:52 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,181,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpatz View Post
Am I being petty and unreasonable?
Nope, not IMO anyway.

Follow the advice above. Good luck!

Old 05-07-2012, 08:05 PM

15,844 posts, read 18,502,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpatz View Post
I live in a townhome area where we have assigned parking. There are a few extra spaces for visitors. My next door neighbor has a larger than average work-type van that has been parked in one of the extra spaces for about a year. It has not moved during that time. It's old and about the size of a small Hertz truck - maybe 15 feet. But it is a real eye sore that we all have looked at for a very long time. It happens to be inches from my front door.

Hard to believe the association hasn't done something by now w/o anyone saying anything. The president drives by the van every day on her way home. Can't help but notice it's there and that it never moves.

Am I being petty and unreasonable? They are terrible neighbors in many other ways too.
No, you are not being petty. You may be being unreasonable, but if you haven't said something or complained, that would be petty....Have you said something to the association??
I wonder if there are other spots to park?? Where I live, not moving for a year would be the problem.....Why can't he park it at his job, especially if it's a work truck?? Maybe call his company anonymously, and report it. I wouldn't appreciate it in front of my home....

Old 05-07-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
No, you are not being petty. You may be being unreasonable, but if you haven't said something or complained, that would be petty....Have you said something to the association??
I wonder if there are other spots to park?? Where I live, not moving for a year would be the problem.....Why can't he park it at his job, especially if it's a work truck?? Maybe call his company anonymously, and report it. I wouldn't appreciate it in front of my home....

Pretty sure it is his personal truck. I used the term "woprk truck" because that's what it looks like. It's not a SUV or a pick-up truck that we normally drive. It's more like a Hertz truck.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post

There is a ton of parking available, just wouldn't be in front of the house. But if you're not driving it, it needn't be in front of the house.

I am going to mention something to the association. I'm the kind of person who hates to start a mess with neighbors.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post

The only stated rules are that vehicles must be registered, in working order, and can't be commercial. I don't think anyone conceived of a situation where someone owns a working vehicle and let's it sit forever.

I certainly wouldn't.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Find out if it has current registration/tags. In our complex, the cars have to be current or they cannot be parked "stored" in visitor spots.

Unregistered vehicles will be towed in our community - per the association. It is registered and has current inspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or