Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 01:28 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptcatz View Post
Perfect, that's exactly what I'm looking for. My office is on the corner of Montgomery and Greene. Thanks!
The Traffic into JC will drive you mad....Harrison is a better option unless your working on the weekend...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 07:04 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
I wouldn't recommend driving at all, honestly. There is no easy/quick way to access JC by car, from any direction. From the north you'll have to deal with awful delapidated/congested 1&9, and from the west or south you'll have to deal with the construction on Route 78, which is mind boggling as to what they are even doing there.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:12 PM

27 posts, read 28,160 times
Default More parking woes

I have a similar woe as the OP. I start a job in Jersey City on Monday. I'm from NH, so I'm not used to the trains or the parking. To make matters worse, I have a full sized truck, so parking is going to be interesting. Will a large truck fit in the garage at Harrison..? My first day on Monday, I was planning on just driving in - all 90 minutes worth, but parking the truck on Washington Blvd is going to be challenging. Any hints..? I realize I'm going to pay to park.. let's just not make it $30 for the day if possible.

Any help with trains would be a bonus. I could catch the train at Denville (parking my truck there ??) and ride in on 1002 (7:14am) or 872 (7:22am), but the transfer to the PATH has me confused some. I've been online looking for maps of the Hoboken Station, to see where I have to walk to change trains - no luck.
I have to be at work for 9am Monday. Hopefully, times are flexible after the first day.

Here in NH, the last job I had, I worked in the office (about 36 miles - 1 hour commute) for the first 6 months, then worked out of my home for the next 12 years. With the congestion of traffic, more companies should offer working from home (for any job where it's possible to work from home).

until I get my groove... this is going to be a painful transition. Maybe I should have asked for more money.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:20 PM

Denville is more expensive takes over 70 mins vs 25 from Harrison. As for taking the train from Harrison you take it to Grove Street or Exchange Place. The Garage in Harrison is new so i don't think you'll have any issues fitting in , ive seen pick ups and large SUVs in there all the time. The Fares from Denville to Hoboken are 13$ vs 2$ at Harrison.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:53 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,964,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheapguy View Post
I have a similar woe as the OP. I start a job in Jersey City on Monday. I'm from NH, so I'm not used to the trains or the parking. To make matters worse, I have a full sized truck, so parking is going to be interesting. Will a large truck fit in the garage at Harrison..? My first day on Monday, I was planning on just driving in - all 90 minutes worth, but parking the truck on Washington Blvd is going to be challenging. Any hints..? I realize I'm going to pay to park.. let's just not make it $30 for the day if possible.

Any help with trains would be a bonus. I could catch the train at Denville (parking my truck there ??) and ride in on 1002 (7:14am) or 872 (7:22am), but the transfer to the PATH has me confused some. I've been online looking for maps of the Hoboken Station, to see where I have to walk to change trains - no luck.
I have to be at work for 9am Monday. Hopefully, times are flexible after the first day.

Here in NH, the last job I had, I worked in the office (about 36 miles - 1 hour commute) for the first 6 months, then worked out of my home for the next 12 years. With the congestion of traffic, more companies should offer working from home (for any job where it's possible to work from home).

until I get my groove... this is going to be a painful transition. Maybe I should have asked for more money.

Wait. You can't mean that you are driving into Jersey City from New Hampshire, right? Because that would be more like a 5-hour drive, not a 90-minute drive. So I'm assuming you've moved to someplace in NJ that's a 90-minute drive to Jersey City?

In my opinion, it's not worth taking a NJ Transit train to get to Jersey City. It's a sluggish, inefficient ride. You have to transfer either at Newark or Hoboken to catch the PATH. The NJ Transit train portion of the trip sometimes involves 1-2 transfers all by itself, depending on which train you take. Even if the NJ Transit portion does not include any transfers, as the #1002 train you specify, it's still a 1-hour and 15-minute train ride. Seems like way more hassle than it's worth for the fact that you're traveling within NJ and not even going into Manhattan.

Plus, the NJ Transit train fare from Denville to Hoboken costs $400 a month (plus $40 a month for parking), and that doesn't even include the PATH fare (another $60 a month for a 40-trip card).

But that's just my opinion. I guess you'd have to figure out how much it would cost you to drive to Harrison, i.e., the cost of gasoline for a full size truck (plus tolls, depending on where you're coming from) to make the best decision for yourself. It probably costs $100 to fill up a full size truck. And you probably get about 400 miles per tank (assuming 15 MPG and a 26-gallon tank). So, you'll probably be filling up 3 times a week just for the drive to Harrison alone (assuming a 30-mile drive to Harrison; 60-miles a day round trip), which means $300 in gas a month. It's better than $440 to take NJ transit, but not that much better, I guess. Still, you're also looking at an under 1-hour drive to Harrison, as opposed to 75 minutes on a NJ Transit train to get to Hoboken.

Parking in Harrison will cost $100-$150 per month depending on the lot. There is the large, brand new parking garage, plus several open parking lots. You wouldn't have any trouble finding parking there even for a full size truck (at least for now...there are plans to develop Harrison, so, in the future, it might get more congested/expensive...but that's probably years down the line). And like I already mentioned, the monthly PATH train fare (40-trip SmartLink card) is only $60.

The PATH train you'd want to take from the Harrison PATH station is the Newark-to-WTC line. You take that one stop to Journal Square (JSQ) and then transfer to the JSQ-to-33rd St. line (and by 'transfer', I mean you exit the train and walk 5 paces across the platform...there's no running around the station going up and down escalators to a different platform in a different wing). Then you take that train 2 stops and get off at the Newport station (you said Washington Blvd, so I'm assuming you work near the PATH station by the Newport Centre Mall). Total PATH train travel time: 15 minutes tops.

If you decide to take the NJ Transit train from Denville, you'd transfer at Hoboken Terminal to the Hoboken-to-WTC PATH train and take that one stop to the Newport PATH station. I can't find any maps of Hoboken Terminal either, and I've only been there once or twice (solely for the PATH train, never for NJ Transit), so I can't give you exact directions within the terminal.

I don't know about any parking near Washington Blvd. I have a friend that works on Washington Blvd. in the Newport area and she commutes via PATH from Harrison.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:59 PM

I agree with you all about the traffic and general PITA-ness of driving into Jersey City. My mother lives in McGinley Square and when I drive to visit her, I find it easiest to take 280 West to Turnpike South, Exit 15E, and then take 1&9 North (aka Lincoln Highway), which eventually turns into Communipaw Ave.

Anyways, Nexis, can I ask you about the parking in Harrison? I saw your pics thread and it seems you were there recently and explored the area in depth. I haven't been there in a few years. I drove through there on Sunday to see what was new. It has changed a LOT. I saw the new condos at Frank E. Rodgers Blvd. and Middlesex St. (right next to the new parking garage). Wow. So the parking lots that used to be on that block are obviously gone. But the $6 and $7 parking lots along Essex St. and NJ Railroad Ave. are still there. So are the $6 parking meters along those same streets and S. 2nd St.

Do you know how much the new parking garage is, and where the entrance for it is? Also, do you know what the deal is with the parking lot that is across the road from the PATH station (on the opposite side of Frank E. Rodgers Blvd). It's another one of those open lots. I heard the cops say it's the safest lot because it always has parking attendants on duty/watch. However, when I drove past, the signage for the parking lot name said 'EVENT PARKING'. That's just a name, right? Has nothing to do with the soccer stadium, i.e., it's not exclusively 'event parking' for that stadium? Do you, or anyone else on this forum, know how much that lot is?

Thanks to anyone who has any info.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
I agree with you all about the traffic and general PITA-ness of driving into Jersey City. My mother lives in McGinley Square and when I drive to visit her, I find it easiest to take 280 West to Turnpike South, Exit 15E, and then take 1&9 North (aka Lincoln Highway), which eventually turns into Communipaw Ave.

Anyways, Nexis, can I ask you about the parking in Harrison? I saw your pics thread and it seems you were there recently and explored the area in depth. I haven't been there in a few years. I drove through there on Sunday to see what was new. It has changed a LOT. I saw the new condos at Frank E. Rodgers Blvd. and Middlesex St. (right next to the new parking garage). Wow. So the parking lots that used to be on that block are obviously gone. But the $6 and $7 parking lots along Essex St. and NJ Railroad Ave. are still there. So are the $6 parking meters along those same streets and S. 2nd St.

Do you know how much the new parking garage is, and where the entrance for it is? Also, do you know what the deal is with the parking lot that is across the road from the PATH station (on the opposite side of Frank E. Rodgers Blvd). It's another one of those open lots. I heard the cops say it's the safest lot because it always has parking attendants on duty/watch. However, when I drove past, the signage for the parking lot name said 'EVENT PARKING'. That's just a name, right? Has nothing to do with the soccer stadium, i.e., it's not exclusively 'event parking' for that stadium? Do you, or anyone else on this forum, know how much that lot is?

Thanks to anyone who has any info.
Yes , the whole town and East Newark....

There are some parking lots left , but they will be used as staging areas...for demolition crews....

I saw some metered parking , Idk what the rate is...6$ sounds high for street parking. The Garage seems half empty on weekends and on the roof on weekdays... Its not like Secaucus which is full. The Entrance for the Garage is right after the Five Guys heading south Frank Rogers , theres also a side entrance through an industrial area. I will ask what the various pricing systems are on another forum.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:42 PM

Thanks, Nex. I appreciate the info.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:42 PM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcheapguy View Post

Wait a minute--if you have a NJ Monthly train ticket, you can ride the Light Rail for free. Is your workplace along the LR line?

Even if you do have to take PATH, don't worry--there will be hordes of people getting off trains in Hoboken and walking down to PATH. Follow them. Plus, there are signs. Just FYI--to go to PATH you go to the north end of Hoboken Terminal--that is left facing the river/away from the trains. If you are taking the Light Rail, go right. But if you still aren't sure, just ask somebody.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:27 PM

27 posts, read 28,160 times
Quote:

Wait. You can't mean that you are driving into Jersey City from New Hampshire, right? Because that would be more like a 5-hour drive, not a 90-minute drive. So I'm assuming you've moved to someplace in NJ that's a 90-minute drive to Jersey City?
No - heavens no, not from NH. I'm driving from NH to NJ on Sunday nights and working the week, then driving home to NH again on Friday. The two weeks I've been working, Friday nights getting out of the city is proving interesting.

Quote:
In my opinion, it's not worth taking a NJ Transit train to get to Jersey City. It's a sluggish, inefficient ride. You have to transfer either at Newark or Hoboken to catch the PATH. The NJ Transit train portion of the trip sometimes involves 1-2 transfers all by itself, depending on which train you take. Even if the NJ Transit portion does not include any transfers, as the #1002 train you specify, it's still a 1-hour and 15-minute train ride. Seems like way more hassle than it's worth for the fact that you're traveling within NJ and not even going into Manhattan.
I'm doing "temporary" housing in Andover NJ (exit 25 off RT 80). What I have been doing is - on raining days, I get the train at MT Arlington and get out in Hoboken ($11 each way). Friday, I have been driving in. The holdiay week, I drove to Harrison and parked, worked the day, then left from Harrison to head back to NH. Yesterday, I drove all the way to work and parked ($11 for the day) before heading back to NH. With the construction at RT 1/9 area, I think I'll stick with the train. I managed the 9 or so miles from Jersey city to that area in 20 or 25 minutes - then sat there for another 30 at the exit for Tonalee (sp?) ave. Witnessed an accident while waiting.

Quote:
Plus, the NJ Transit train fare from Denville to Hoboken costs $400 a month (plus $40 a month for parking), and that doesn't even include the PATH fare (another $60 a month for a 40-trip card).

But that's just my opinion. I guess you'd have to figure out how much it would cost you to drive to Harrison, i.e., the cost of gasoline for a full size truck (plus tolls, depending on where you're coming from) to make the best decision for yourself. It probably costs $100 to fill up a full size truck. And you probably get about 400 miles per tank (assuming 15 MPG and a 26-gallon tank). So, you'll probably be filling up 3 times a week just for the drive to Harrison alone (assuming a 30-mile drive to Harrison; 60-miles a day round trip), which means $300 in gas a month. It's better than $440 to take NJ transit, but not that much better, I guess. Still, you're also looking at an under 1-hour drive to Harrison, as opposed to 75 minutes on a NJ Transit train to get to Hoboken.

Parking in Harrison will cost $100-$150 per month depending on the lot. There is the large, brand new parking garage, plus several open parking lots. You wouldn't have any trouble finding parking there even for a full size truck (at least for now...there are plans to develop Harrison, so, in the future, it might get more congested/expensive...but that's probably years down the line). And like I already mentioned, the monthly PATH train fare (40-trip SmartLink card) is only $60.

The PATH train you'd want to take from the Harrison PATH station is the Newark-to-WTC line. You take that one stop to Journal Square (JSQ) and then transfer to the JSQ-to-33rd St. line (and by 'transfer', I mean you exit the train and walk 5 paces across the platform...there's no running around the station going up and down escalators to a different platform in a different wing). Then you take that train 2 stops and get off at the Newport station (you said Washington Blvd, so I'm assuming you work near the PATH station by the Newport Centre Mall). Total PATH train travel time: 15 minutes tops.

If you decide to take the NJ Transit train from Denville, you'd transfer at Hoboken Terminal to the Hoboken-to-WTC PATH train and take that one stop to the Newport PATH station. I can't find any maps of Hoboken Terminal either, and I've only been there once or twice (solely for the PATH train, never for NJ Transit), so I can't give you exact directions within the terminal.

I don't know about any parking near Washington Blvd. I have a friend that works on Washington Blvd. in the Newport area and she commutes via PATH from Harrison.
With the last two weeks as experience, I am not a pro, but getting an education quickly. I walk from the Hoboken terminal to work. It's almost a mile, so it's good excersize. I'm limited to the trains that go to MT Arlington (I think there are 3 between 5:30pm and 6:30pm). I'm finding that the seats on the way back (red vinyl seats) are very uncomfortable for the 90 minute ride. The blue cloth seats I got a couple times on the ride in, are much more comfortable. Maybe someone from NJ transit reads this forum I hope. Driving from RT 80 exit 25 to Jersey City is just crazy. Its 50 miles, but the time varies from 2.5 hours (my first day) to about 55 minutes (google time ?, I haven't been that fast yet) If it's raining, take the train. Friday 6/1 there was a tractor trailer roll-over on the west bound side, but the east bound side was backed up for about a mile at 7am (when I got on).

I was able to park my truck at Harrison (outside parking) - $7 per day, then the $4 round trip for the PATH. I learned the change at JSQ the first time - yes it is simple, but for someone that has ridden the subway in Boston about 5 times in my entire life, not knowing what to do is daunting. Folks, if I can do it, you can do it. Just pay attention a little and ask if you need help.
Taking the train from Mt Arlington is free parking, $22 (round trip) and 90 minute ride (each way). Parking at Harrison is $11 (parking + PATH), plus the fuel and nerves to drive. Driving does save about 15 or 20 minutes at 7am. All bets are off for the rain or bad weather. Once the construction is done around RT1/9 area, the drive into Jersey City might not be as bad. Since I'm in temporary housing, I need to start looking for something closer and more permanant.

This site has been very helpful - thank you all, but 'I' (my fault) should have written in two or more weeks, earlier.

My job is good - I'm on the 26th floor and have a great view of the NY skyline, looking North east over the Hudson. The people I'm working with are great so far, but most come in from NY, so getting information about NJ is limited. This is all after only two weeks. I could have different views after 5 years. I'm hoping to retire from this company if I can (about 17 years). I'm rolling the dice to see what life has in store for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey