Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:18 PM

638 posts, read 2,242,915 times

Advertisements

I went to the motor vehicle website but I'm either im stupid or it wasnt clear. So quick question... I recently paid off my car loan with wells fargo. How do I go about getting the title? Do they send it to the MVC to transfer into my name or do I need to go to a motor vehicle office and submit some kind of paperwork? I paid the loan off a month ago... so far, I have seen nothing in the mail. Does anyone know what the process is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 07:29 PM

77 posts, read 376,160 times
There is no need to go to DMV to obtain the title to the vehicle. The lending institution for the loan will have the original title showing the lein amount and also when the lein amount was paid in full. Based on the time since the loan was paid off you should be receiving the title in the mail shortly. If it was me I would call the lending agency within the next two weeks, if you do not receive it, to inquire when you should be receiving the title. I hope this helps.
Bill

Old 05-10-2012, 07:36 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,745,444 times
Wells Fargo will send you your title with a letter showing you paid your vehicle off. It does take a little while, so don't panic. As the other poster said, give it a couple of weeks, then call Wells Fargo. You might be better off going in person, if you can.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:14 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
After you get the title (it does take a few weeks, but it would be fine to call and inquire about the status). Then make/take a copy to your insurance company so they take Wells Fargo off the policy as being the lien holder.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:08 PM

638 posts, read 2,242,915 times
Thanks all! Will that make my policy cheaper if wells is taken off? Hope so!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:43 AM

527 posts, read 1,407,951 times
I just did this.

paid off loan
in about a month or so, the bank sends the title back to you with a letter saying you are paid off.

The title still had the lienholder name on it.
I went to DMV to have it taken off.

Now what surprised me.
DMV said I didn't have to come in, just call them and they will remove the lienholder in the computer.
so I said to remove them
DMV never asked to see the bank's letter.

I said what about a title without the lienholder.
They said it wasn't necasrry to have one, the computer has the correct info. But if I wanted a new copy, without the lienholder name, would cost $30 (I think)
I paid for new copy
Had it in 5 min.

Called insurance company
they removed with a phone call
No documentation needed.
called, said to remove them, they said OK, done

Will have no affect on your rates, up or down
but you should call ins company so if you are in accident, they do not cut the check with them on it and they have to sign it.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:21 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
Thanks all! Will that make my policy cheaper if wells is taken off? Hope so!

Sorry, no.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 15,176 times
Why would it take 6 weeks to get the car title from a dealership for a vehicle paid for in cash or check.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:22 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300zxdriver View Post
Why would it take 6 weeks to get the car title from a dealership for a vehicle paid for in cash or check.
That's an entirely new question but things depends on if it's in the same state. It should not take that long. For instance you can go in and have a new title in your name in minutes. Ask the dealer why. Get back here with any more questions.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:53 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,660,438 times
Quote:
title from a dealership for a vehicle paid for in cash or check
They will wait for any checks to clear. The fact that it was a cashier's check means little to them.

Titles come from the NJ DMV so their rep has to get it from their office. Two weeks at best but it should shorter as vehicles must be titled within ten days. Usually it will be included when new plates are sent.

Dealers in many cases must get the actual paperwork from the manufacturer before they can title a car. That means they must paid the balance on cars they are selling. Most don't own those vehicles outright when sold.

Either way, six weeks is way beyond a reasonable time. I've seen new buyers get screwed because they couldn't get their plates and the paperwork for a new car because of dealer issues. As only one temp may be issued per car, they now have what is a unregistered vehicle. Now they are forced to take civil action.

Advice. Stay on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey