Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 01:46 PM

3 posts, read 7,663 times

Advertisements

I am desperately trying to get out of my lease because my landlord has made my life miserable. I think how she is renting the house may be illegal, but I am not sure. Here is the story:

The house is zoned as a two family house. One part of this is rented by an older gentleman. The other part of the house is made up of three separate living spaces, which are connected by a common kitchen and laundry facility.

Is this legal?? Please help! These people are ruining my life but a lawyer doesn't think I have enough to go on to get out of the lease as is unless the zoning is illegal!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 01:57 PM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
Contact either the Belmar zoning / code official or the zoning/code official for Monmouth County.
If she is running an illegal boarding home she will have more to worry about then just you getting out of your lease.

Exactly where are you if one part is rented by a older gentleman ???

Old 09-19-2007, 02:14 PM

It's a two family house, so the one part is rented by an older gentleman, and the other part with the three sections/one kitchen. The older gentleman has no contact with any of us.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:17 PM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProblemsInBelmar View Post
It's a two family house, so the one part is rented by an older gentleman, and the other part with the three sections/one kitchen. The older gentleman has no contact with any of us.
So is like a boarding home where you are only renting a bedroom and hopefully private bath and you "share" common areas such as the kitchen, living room??

Sounds like she has a boarding home set up but if she's zoned for a 2 family she's breaking the ordinance..I would check that out for sure

Old 09-19-2007, 02:53 PM

I have called an attorney. The only spaces shared are common entrance, kitchen, and laundry. This is in the attic. Another girl has her living room next to the shared kitchen, but it is separated by a screen they bought at home depot or something.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:28 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
I'm confused. What part of this house do you live in, and if it's the shared part, how did you not know about this arrangement when you signed the lease????

Bob

Old 09-19-2007, 05:47 PM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times
2 family house. On one story is the old man, he has that floor to himself. On another floor, it is shared by 3 people, which, I imagine is really 2 on the next floor with the 3rd renting the attic. She's collecting rent from 4 people for something that is zoned for 2 families?

Old 09-19-2007, 08:48 PM

562 posts, read 2,614,659 times
I have a few questions for you.. DId you not know the living situation before getting into the lease?? Have you approach the landlord? how exactly is the landlord making your life miserable?

FYI: if the apt is illegal, that automatically breaches the lease contract.. they cannot hold you responsible for anything.. I suggest you talk to the landlord before contacting anyone, simply b/c they'll make it worst for you if you try to get them in trouble..

Old 09-19-2007, 10:15 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,034,960 times
Call the zoning officer of the town you are in. They will investigate. If it is indeed illegal, there is no contractual obligation.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:21 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,804,491 times
get a new lawyer! Not all lawyers know about zoning, landlord tenant, etc...If it were me, I'd tell the landlord that I wasn't happy and why and want out of the lease. If she agrees, get it in writing. If not, then I'd report her. I'm surprised that she gave tenants leases if the house is illegal. That could end up getting her into trouble. A friend of mine lived in a similar situation, but the landlord gave no lease. Everyone was there on a month to month verbal agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: