Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 10:27 AM

149 posts, read 324,032 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Quick question that has always bothered me & I've never had a great answer. I figured someone on here might have an idea. I'm going to a wedding Friday night in Moonachie, right near the Meadowlands Sports Complex. I'll be leaving from Bucks Co, PA, right smack dab in the middle of rush hour . Google Maps suggest that taking Rt. 1 to New Brunswick and then getting on the Turnpike is faster than taking 195 to the Tpk and taking that the whole way. I've heard both sides but is one necessarily better (faster) than the other?

I know for my situation I will be sitting in traffic the whole way no matter where I go. But is one clearly better than another? I've always avoided Rt. 1 just because of the lights, but is the Turnpike any better?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 10:31 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaDragon View Post
Hello everyone,

Quick question that has always bothered me & I've never had a great answer. I figured someone on here might have an idea. I'm going to a wedding Friday night in Moonachie, right near the Meadowlands Sports Complex. I'll be leaving from Bucks Co, PA, right smack dab in the middle of rush hour . Google Maps suggest that taking Rt. 1 to New Brunswick and then getting on the Turnpike is faster than taking 195 to the Tpk and taking that the whole way. I've heard both sides but is one necessarily better (faster) than the other?

I know for my situation I will be sitting in traffic the whole way no matter where I go. But is one clearly better than another? I've always avoided Rt. 1 just because of the lights, but is the Turnpike any better?

Thanks for your help!
If you're leaving from Bucks Cty during rush hour, there is no good alternative. I would suggest 95 over the Scudders Falls Bridge all the way through to 195 and then to Turnpike Exit 7A north to the Meadowlands area. Route 1 will be a parking lot during rush hour. It'll take you an hour or more to go 20 miles.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:37 AM

149 posts, read 324,032 times
Thanks Lucario!

I agree, there is no "good way" when I leave at rush hour. I guess I should have stated that I'm just looking for a general rule if one is necessarily better than another. But it's good to hear that someone else shares my aversion to Rt 1 and that I'm not just making it up.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:45 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
It's as broad as it's long.

195 to the NJ TPK is going to get you on at 7A. Keep in mind this is going to be the first "warm" weekend so there are going to be those who will take a day on Friday to go to Great Adventure. That may add time to your trip. Also, there is the construction going on between Exits 6 and 8A to expand the Turnpike which may cause delays as well.

As for the Route 1 to New Brunswick (Exit 9) and up the Turnpike, commuting traffic through South Brunswick on Route 1 - both ways - is nuts during any rush hour, but on Fridays it is usually much worse. What should take between 20 - 30 minutes from Princeton to New Brunswick can easily take up to an hour because of the traffic lights and the congestion around South Brunswick and again around the interchange with Route 18 to get to the NJ TPK.

Honestly, I would say the Turnpike is better.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:07 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
You could park and take the train?

Old 05-17-2012, 02:59 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,023,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
It's as broad as it's long.

195 to the NJ TPK is going to get you on at 7A. Keep in mind this is going to be the first "warm" weekend so there are going to be those who will take a day on Friday to go to Great Adventure. That may add time to your trip. Also, there is the construction going on between Exits 6 and 8A to expand the Turnpike which may cause delays as well.

As for the Route 1 to New Brunswick (Exit 9) and up the Turnpike, commuting traffic through South Brunswick on Route 1 - both ways - is nuts during any rush hour, but on Fridays it is usually much worse. What should take between 20 - 30 minutes from Princeton to New Brunswick can easily take up to an hour because of the traffic lights and the congestion around South Brunswick and again around the interchange with Route 18 to get to the NJ TPK.

Honestly, I would say the Turnpike is better.
Yes I hate that. I cannot understand why they have it literally like an hourglass. It narrows down to two after you get out of Plainsboro and is like this for the next six miles, then widens up again after you cross Aaron. It just doesn't make sense to me why they would upgrade, then skip the six miles here to here and then continue the upgrade.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:06 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Is there answer ever Rt. 1 to a multiple choice question?

Old 05-18-2012, 05:29 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
I usually avoid the evil corrupt NJ yank my crank TurnPike whenever possible for a multitude of reasons. Have taken the so called 'straight pike' US 1 many times over it.

Depending on where in Bucks Co you are starting from you might do better the back way up CR579 or NJ 31 to US 202 and then I287 north a short piece to I78 east.

Typing on cell phone here.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:35 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
Yes I hate that. I cannot understand why they have it literally like an hourglass. It narrows down to two after you get out of Plainsboro and is like this for the next six miles, then widens up again after you cross Aaron. It just doesn't make sense to me why they would upgrade, then skip the six miles here to here and then continue the upgrade.
There is a history to that situation. Back in 1981, NJDOT had proposed a widening of Rte. 1 from Ryders Lane to the state line with Pennsylvania. At the time, North Brunswick, Princeton Township, Lawrenceville, and Trenton were extatic because they could use the expansion as a talking point to get business into their townships. South Brunswick, however, was death on the idea because of the large volume of farmland in the community and, at the time, because of the fear of taxes being raised for schools. So NJDOT ignored the six miles of Rte. 1 from Independence Way to Aaron Road and built around the area.

Starting in 2007, NJDOT has finally forced the issue with South Brunswick and demanded the expansion take place. The town has apparently capitulated and NJDOT is now moving forward with the initial engineering and design plans. Supposedly this project is going to start in either 2014 or 2015. But don't hold your breath on that date.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:26 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
I usually avoid the evil corrupt NJ yank my crank TurnPike whenever possible for a multitude of reasons. Have taken the so called 'straight pike' US 1 many times over it.

Depending on where in Bucks Co you are starting from you might do better the back way up CR579 or NJ 31 to US 202 and then I287 north a short piece to I78 east.

Typing on cell phone here.
Taking that route, OP will get there, all right.........sometime Saturday morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey