Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 03:44 PM

108 posts, read 294,305 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am looking to purchase a old house. The owner wrote on the Property Disclosure. He was not aware of any tanks on the property above or underground, basically he mark NO.

He does a have a 15 year old gas furnance and was wondering should I be worry about this house oil tank. He didn't disclose.

thanks very much. any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 03:51 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,001,543 times
pay for a sweep (~$200) and have the guy doing sweep check for abandoned oil lines, vents, fresh concrete in basement.

You are doing your due diligence, nothing wrong with that.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:36 PM

thanks, but I'm thinking is there a website or township where there should be a record of them taking out the oil tank before installing the gas. Is there another way of finding it outbesides wasting the money.

thanks a lot.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:46 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,001,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypp View Post
thanks, but I'm thinking is there a website or township where there should be a record of them taking out the oil tank before installing the gas. Is there another way of finding it outbesides wasting the money.

thanks a lot.
in the grand scheme of things, whats $200 as a percentage of the home price? Peace of mind isnt worth $200???

Old 05-24-2012, 05:06 PM

yes i agree 200 dollars is peanuts. The problem would be I need to sign a contract and then hire a attorney, miss work and lots of hassle. But I do agree buying a house is worth every hard effort to find the perfect house.

thanks for your advice on the sweep I will definely do it regardless what happens.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:02 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,202,497 times
Quote:
Hi

I am looking to purchase a old house. The owner wrote on the Property Disclosure. He was not aware of any tanks on the property above or underground, basically he mark NO.

He does a have a 15 year old gas furnance and was wondering should I be worry about this house oil tank. He didn't disclose.

How old is the house?

How long has the current owner lived on the property? Did the owner ever heat the home with oil? Did you have a home inspection? I ask b/c most of the time Home Inspectors can find the tell-tale signs of a home that used oil...yet there is no above ground tank to be seen.

You could start by calling the township to find out if any permits were taken out to remove an under ground tank.

Good Luck!

Old 05-25-2012, 03:30 PM

527 posts, read 1,401,608 times
First stop is town hall
Look for a permit to replace the furnace.

This is the "first" step but not by any means the last
Many many oil furnances are replaced without a permit.

but even then, that doesn't relate to the tank, but at least you will know there "was" one and maybe where.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:45 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,803,729 times
you can pull permits at the town office.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:48 AM

55 posts, read 170,621 times
City hall would have a permit on file if one was removed. However don't be stupid.

You don't need an attorney to have a 3'rd party onsite to scan for a tank. I called them, gave a credit card, they scanned and emailed me a cert saying no tank, no entry lines or no reason to suspect a tank. $250.

If I didn't do this and a tank was found, in the end the seller could simply have said it was never disclosed prior. And we the EPA comes to dig up your yard at your expense, the $250 will have been a drop in the bucket.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:59 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,254,857 times
Quote:
Hi

If the gas system in the house is only 15 years old then I would assume that there could be an oil tank somewhere. If the tank is in the ground it may have to be removed. You might be able to get the owner to pay for having the tank removed but would have to act on it soon. If he didn't disclose it not sure what your legal options are but you may be able to work with him because of the lack of disclosure. Only one way to find out...ask the former owner and work with your realtor; this is an important thing to know. Could also just be a case of a new gas furnace system?? ASK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey