Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 04:43 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,637,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
This is great...now my amazon orders will get to me faster
Exactly! no need for a Prime subscription anymore, most items will probably get to you in a couple days anyway.

So in the end, Amazon gets a tax incentive and tons of concessions from the state, nj residents get faster service and the opportunity to work at an Amazon Fulfillment center, and people who want to dodge sales tax have plenty of online alternatives like buy.com, overstock.com, wayfair.com, ajmadison.com, tigerdirect.com, etc. for their online shopping needs . Everybody wins, including those pesky speeders!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 05:44 PM

50,085 posts, read 35,727,051 times
I'm upset about the tax, too. It is especially galling that no one will have to pay it but us in NJ, and for what, some $10/hour jobs? This is what politicians do, promise to lower taxes, and it ends up being for corporations and rich people and the shortfall gets made up on the backs of the middle class.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:54 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,575,538 times
wow - 4 pages of arguing about $$$ and only 2 or 3 posts about their questionable work conditions. Guess we all know where the priority is.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:01 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,047,273 times
Is there a clause in their contract saying that Amazon can't start complaining about NJ's high taxes and threatening to move to PA after ____ years? Like most things with Christie, we'll never know until the financial timebomb blows up years from now.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:04 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,575,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
My God, some of you are freakin unbelievable.

It appears that unless Christie was a Dem no matter what he does it 's no good.

Better to gain 1500 lower paying jobs than to lose 1500 lower paying jobs.

Don't like NJ, then go move to a Dem controlled town like Detriot, Chicago, LA, DC and so on...where everyone's a millionaire and unemployment is zero.
As usual, you have to make it partisan. I've seen VERY few posts about Christie specifically. I'm not even sure why you came back to this board since you seem to fret a lot about how your precious politicians are so maligned.

How times have changed. You couldn't get enough of the Corslime bashing but now that the shoe is on the other foot......

Old 05-31-2012, 06:17 PM

4,282 posts, read 10,717,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm upset about the tax, too. It is especially galling that no one will have to pay it but us in NJ, and for what, some $10/hour jobs? This is what politicians do, promise to lower taxes, and it ends up being for corporations and rich people and the shortfall gets made up on the backs of the middle class.
I agree 100%

Hopefully these workers end up unionizing. As it stands right now, this is nothing but bad news for the average guy. Nothing buy crappy jobs and more taxes the average guy has to pay.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:25 PM

11,286 posts, read 16,559,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
As usual, you have to make it partisan. I've seen VERY few posts about Christie specifically. I'm not even sure why you came back to this board since you seem to fret a lot about how your precious politicians are so maligned.

How times have changed. You couldn't get enough of the Corslime bashing but now that the shoe is on the other foot......
Boy, it sure sounds like someone has their panties in a wad

Old 05-31-2012, 07:41 PM

858 posts, read 704,182 times
as someone else said...so we're getting an additional tax AND we're footing the bill to help Amazing build their complex. So I'll concede that it brings in jobs however I think this type of agreement between NJ and Amazon needs to be contingent on those jobs not leaving the state for X amount of time..be it 10 or 15 years. Otherwise Amazon should have to repay the state what we shelled out to bring them here.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:47 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,047,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahboy79 View Post
as someone else said...so we're getting an additional tax AND we're footing the bill to help Amazing build their complex. So I'll concede that it brings in jobs however I think this type of agreement between NJ and Amazon needs to be contingent on those jobs not leaving the state for X amount of time..be it 10 or 15 years. Otherwise Amazon should have to repay the state what we shelled out to bring them here.
Or they'll build warehouses and then in a few years ask to move to an "urban enterprise zone" 10 miles away like Panasonic did and demand even more tax breaks or they'll leave NJ for good with all of those awesome low-wage jobs.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:24 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,968,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It is especially galling that no one will have to pay it but us in NJ,
Not sure what you mean. Depending on where a company is located, residents of that state often have to pay tax. It is like when you see a commercial and they say residents of XX please add sales tax. Some online stores only charge tax to people of certain states. NJ is certainly not alone in this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey