Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 02:00 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameradin View Post
Hi PDD, thanks for the suggestions. I will look into Bridgewater as well.

I'm looking for a modest house really, 2 bedrooms should be enough for now. I don't need a huge lot or pool either, as long as there is some space for gardening. I'd rather get a small place somewhere nice than a multiple bedroom house somewhere not so good.

Are there any bad areas in Basking Ridge or is it just the fact that most 400k houses will be run down? I saw one that looked OK in Oak St but it's kind of hard to tell how much work in needs on the inside.

Oh, we'll work in Summit so it would be nice to find something not too far away (within 40 mins?).

Thanks FreshFlakes! I did like a few houses in Hillsborough too but I am somewhat concerned because of some posters saying there aren't enough businesses or a main street and there's basically nothing to do there. Someone also said it has some bad areas. I will have to take a drive there. I was only there a few years ago applying for a job so I didn't get to see that much. I don't have any ties to Philly but not opposed to living closer to it
don't listen to those other posters. As a point of comparison, most Liquor stores, gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants close at the 7-8pm hour in Basking Ridge. Plus Basking Ridge doesn't allow any chains other than Subway and Dunkin Donuts. H-Boro has WAYY more retail than Basking Ridge, another plus. Nothing more frustrating than not being able to get basic essentials late in the evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 04:00 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
don't listen to those other posters. As a point of comparison, most Liquor stores, gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants close at the 7-8pm hour in Basking Ridge. Plus Basking Ridge doesn't allow any chains other than Subway and Dunkin Donuts. H-Boro has WAYY more retail than Basking Ridge, another plus. Nothing more frustrating than not being able to get basic essentials late in the evening.
nothing more frustrating driving on 206 through hillsborough.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:07 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
nothing more frustrating driving on 206 through hillsborough.
^^^^this!!!!

Old 06-01-2012, 04:35 PM

501 posts, read 1,474,154 times
You will hate the commute from Hillsborough to Summit. Traffic on Rt. 206 in either direction is terrible and could take up to an hour or more depending on weather conditions and accidents. Basking Ridge is a lovely town and as others have pointed out the school system is top-notch. If I were you, I would definitely check out those smaller houses and condos. There are many good restuarants and stores in Bernardsville which is the next town north of BR.

Check into Bernards Township also. The Liberty Corner area is particularly nice. The Lyons section is also pretty and has a train station into the city. Other good towns close to Summit are Berkeley Heights, New Providence, Long Hill and Millington (which is right next door to Basking Ridge) but are in a different school district but still good. Gillette and Stirling also comprise Long Hill Township. Bridgewater is also family oriented with some reasonably priced houses and the Bridgwater Mall has lots of good stores but look north of Rt. 22. You have many options!

Good luck!

Last edited by Rowen; 06-01-2012 at 05:57 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 05:27 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
You are obviously a Hillsborough resident trying to justify in your own mind why you bought in Hillsborough in the first place.
Since when was more retail chains a plus for suburban living?

Old 06-01-2012, 05:55 PM

501 posts, read 1,474,154 times
Quote:
And Basking Ridge and Bernards Twp. are a 15-20 minute drive to the Bridgewater Commons and all the stores on Rt. 22 which have more retail than Hillsborough and you don't have to drive the horror which is known as Rt. 206.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:30 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
You will hate the commute from Hillsborough to Summit. Traffic on Rt. 206 in either direction is terrible and could take up to an hour or more depending on weather conditions and accidents. Basking Ridge is a lovely town and as others have pointed out the school system is top-notch. If I were you, I would definitely check out those smaller houses and condos. There are many good restuarants and stores in Bernardsville which is the next town north of BR.

Check into Bernards Township also. The Liberty Corner area is particularly nice. The Lyons section is also pretty and has a train station into the city. Other good towns close to Summit are Berkeley Heights, New Providence, Long Hill and Millington (which is right next door to Basking Ridge) but are in a different school district but still good. Gillette and Stirling also comprise Long Hill Township. Bridgewater is also family oriented with some reasonably priced houses and the Bridgwater Mall has lots of good stores but look north of Rt. 22. You have many options!

Good luck!
For the record, Basking Ridge is part of Bernards Township. The biggest part, actually.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:40 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,450 times
The main issue would be the commute, which I agree would be hellish from Summit to Hillsborough. Also the OP's budget won't allow for much in BR, Bernardsville, Berkeley Heights or other towns in the Somerset Hills area.

I don't think buying a two bedroom is such a great investment as they are very tough to sell. People want a house they can grow into, good schools and reasonable taxes. My suggestion is to look into Scotch Plains, Garwood, Clark, Union or into Middlesex County towns like Piscataway, Edison, South Planfield and my personal favorite Metuchen.

On that budget, you can't afford a top tier town, unless you went with a condo or townhouse. In these towns I mentioned you get good schools, nice safe neighborhoods and close commuteability.

Good Luck!

Old 06-01-2012, 07:39 PM

53 posts, read 186,525 times
Thanks for the advice on Hillsborough, JCK and FreshFlakes, I am still considering it even if it's a bit too far from NYC. I do want to have some type of walkable main street so it's good to know that there are some stores and restaurants in town.

Hi Bill! Thanks for the advice. I also found some houses in BR but I guess I'll have to drive around and see if they're really worth it, because they may be a bit too small and run down as some posters said. Although, I am open to finding a fixer upper that needs work within reason, or maybe one that has potential for expansion if I eventually need more rooms.

I don't really want a condo at this point because I don't like maintenance fees and because I want a private lawn, even if it's very small. I really enjoy gardening/planting and wouldn't be able to do that on a condo. I may be wrong but lots/gardens in condos are shared, right?

Hi Rowen, thanks for your suggestions. I will look into those BR adjacent areas too Is Bernardsville a good option too?

Hi OysterCatcher, I do like Metuchen so I may have to look into that Piscataway is another option, Edison my mom doesn't like lol. I didn't hear very good things about S. Plainfield and Union, though. Is East Brunswick a good option too?

What about Morris County? Would it be too rural for my needs?

Last edited by Kameradin; 06-01-2012 at 08:08 PM..

Old 06-01-2012, 07:51 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameradin View Post
Thanks for the advice on Hillsborough, JCK and FreshFlakes, I am still considering it even if it's a bit too far from NYC. I do want to have some type of walkable main street so it's good to know that there are some stores and restaurants in town.

Hi Bill! Thanks for the advice. I also did find some houses in BR but I guess I'll have to drive around and see if they're really worth it, because they may be a bit too small and run down as some posters said. Although if I am open to finding a fixer upper that needs work within reason. Or maybe one that has potential for expansion if I eventually need more rooms.

I don't really want a condo at this point because I don't like maintenance fees and because I want a private lawn, even if it's very small. I really enjoy gardening/planting and wouldn't be able to do that on a condo. I may be wrong but lots in condos are shared, just like co-ops right?

Hi Rowen, thanks for your suggestions. I will look into those BR adjacent areas too Is Bernardsville a good option too?

Hi OysterCatcher, I do like Metuchen so I may have to look into that Piscataway is another option, Edison my mom doesn't like lol. I didn't hear very good things about S. Plainfield and Union, though. Is East Brunswick a good option too?

What about Morris County? Would it be too rural for my needs?
East Brunswick is a good option too I forgot to mention but a bit further away. Actually if you're looking for a walking Main St downtown, Metuchen would be the ticket!

Morris County is really nice, but more rural as you mentioned. Chatham, Madison and Mendham would be great towns to look into if you could boost your budget to 500K-600K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey