Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 09:08 PM

900 posts, read 2,236,205 times

Advertisements

A realtor.com search of homes in the Metuchen Boro 375K-425K, 3bd, 2 bth, single family homes revealed 15 choices.

Homes built in the 50's and 60's
Average land size = .25 acres
1500-1800 sq ft
Average Taxes = 10k/yr

-Homes are charming but may need some updating (kitchen and baths), easy to do.
-Walking distance to downtown and train to NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 10:07 PM

501 posts, read 1,469,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
For the record, Basking Ridge is part of Bernards Township. The biggest part, actually.
Yes I know - I worked in BR for a long time. We considered So. Finley in Basking Ridge as our second cafeteria since it has the most restaurants and shops. It's what we considered to be the town center in Bernards which it is. Besides the Verizon Complex the rest of BR, Liberty Corner, Lyons, parts of Martinsville, West Millington are primarily residential. But you are right they are all in Bernards Twp. and I should have referred to it as such.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:01 AM

53 posts, read 185,543 times
Hi Oyster, thanks! I will take a look at those listings. I like the idea of being able to walk to stores without going through miles of farmland so Metuchen is definitely on my list now It also seems like a very good, safe area. Are there still any areas that I should avoid?

Old 06-02-2012, 07:55 AM

Bad areas, I don't think so Metuchen boro is only like a mile square. The only thing I would avoid is a house on a very busy street or across or adjacent to any commercial or industrial type real estate. Stick with the more quiet residential streets, which there are many there.

If I were you I would start a new thread about Metuchen and many people that live there can give you better insight than I can. Here is the town website link Borough of Metuchen, New Jersey - Official Web Site.

Based on your criteria I think Metuchen is right up your alley.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:01 AM

328 posts, read 1,045,477 times
Hillsborough doesn't have a walkable downtown. There are plenty of stores along Rt 206 but you have to drive. If you are looking for a quaint walkable downtown area, Hillsborough doesn't have it. They are building a Rt 206 bypass which is supposed to alleviate congestion on Rt 206 (the idea was to make it a more walkable area but I don't know about that!). However, the bypass is still years from completion.

There are a few small areas of Hillsborough that I'm not crazy about but they are condo and townhome sections. Some of the families that live there don't care for their properties very well (crap all over the place). They aren't "bad" areas but you can definitely tell when it's a street where you wouldn't want to live. The single family homes are pretty much all very nice areas.

I never ever drive a long stretch of Rt 206. Anyone in the area knows backroads to avoid being on Rt 206 for too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
And Basking Ridge and Bernards Twp. are a 15-20 minute drive to the Bridgewater Commons and all the stores on Rt. 22 which have more retail than Hillsborough and you don't have to drive the horror which is known as Rt. 206.
Right. Instead you drive the horror that is Rt 22.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:06 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,769,369 times
Agree...Hillsborough downtown is not walkable. Unless you call pulling up to a strip mall and walking from the convenience store to the dry cleaner walkable. It does have commerce along Rt. 206 but it is all driving from strip mall to strip mall. It is within your budget, but it is not what most would consider commutable to Summit (probably an hour with a lot of traffic).

I would look into New Providence, Berkeley Heights, Gilette/Stirling, Warren/Watchung.

Also I think you should look for a 3BR...there is not much demand for 2BRS and you will outgrow it very quickly. There is plenty of demand for 3BR starter homes, making resale good, but little demand for 2BRs.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:24 PM

501 posts, read 1,469,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digi21 View Post
Hillsborough doesn't have a walkable downtown. There are plenty of stores along Rt 206 but you have to drive. If you are looking for a quaint walkable downtown area, Hillsborough doesn't have it. They are building a Rt 206 bypass which is supposed to alleviate congestion on Rt 206 (the idea was to make it a more walkable area but I don't know about that!). However, the bypass is still years from completion.

There are a few small areas of Hillsborough that I'm not crazy about but they are condo and townhome sections. Some of the families that live there don't care for their properties very well (crap all over the place). They aren't "bad" areas but you can definitely tell when it's a street where you wouldn't want to live. The single family homes are pretty much all very nice areas.

I never ever drive a long stretch of Rt 206. Anyone in the area knows backroads to avoid being on Rt 206 for too long.

Right. Instead you drive the horror that is Rt 22.
Most residents in Bridgewater and Bernards Township shop at the Bridgewater Commons via Rt. 287 or take back roads. If they live in Liberty Corner, they would only have a very short drive on 22 unless they are going to a store farther east on 22. Commuting to Summit from Hillsborough no matter if you take 206 or back roads would easily take an hour with all the traffic on BOTH these highways.

To the OP: Bernardsville is a very affluent town though I found a half dozen properties under $400,000 but they are either close to downtown and/or on busy roads and I can't vouch for the safety of their locations. Houses on Bernardsville mountain are extremely expensive.

Metuchen is a very cute town and they have really spruced up their downtown area. The houses are well kept and are on pretty tree lined streets. The housing inventory will be smaller since it is only about 1 square mile as the above poster stated and Metuchen seems to be getting very popular for people commuting into the city which will drive up housing costs.

However Gillette, Stirling, Long Hill, New Providence, Berkeley Heights are very nice towns, much closer to Summit and are family oriented. New Providence is particularly pretty and right next door to Summit (to the west) . Your commute would be a piece of cake!

Old 06-03-2012, 08:52 AM

328 posts, read 1,045,477 times
I don't think my post was in any way encouraging of Hillsborough at "the" place that the OP wants to live based on what she is looking for. But I did want to point out that Rt 22 is hardly a fun road to drive on for shopping. I'd much rather drive Rt 206 for stores than Rt 22. If you get off at a store on Rt 22 that is not right next to a light, good luck getting back on!

Bridgewater doesn't have a walkable downtown either. I love Bridgewater. And I do agree that Bridgewater residents use backroads or 287 to get to the Commons but it's still not what OP is looking for. There is no quaint downtown area.

The commute from Hillsborough to Summit really depends on where you are coming and going from in those towns. I was able get to Newark airport in 50 minutes leaving from Hillsborough.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:47 AM

Hmmm why are we still talking about Hillsborough?

Old 06-03-2012, 07:59 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,508,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You are obviously a Hillsborough resident trying to justify in your own mind why you bought in Hillsborough in the first place.
Since when was more retail chains a plus for suburban living?
Anger issues much?

Firstly, I don't appreciate your comment about me being from Hillsborough. If you had decent reading comprehension skills, you would understand that I SPECIFICALLY said that I grew up in Basking Ridge but have a lot of extended family out in H-Boro. You obviously have no idea of where I grew up or anything about me so don't shove your fallacies down my throat.

Some very closed minded ignorant people on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey