Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 12:18 PM

8 posts, read 24,202 times

Advertisements

hi all,

I am looking to move to Bergen County areas like Fort Lee, Teaneck, Hackensack, Lodi, Paramus, Fair Lawn...What are the better towns? I am looking for Safety and a nice neighborhood.

But I am concerned about transportation. I originally was looking in areas like North Bergen, Guttenberg and Weehawken because for transportation its easily accessible to NYC (mini gypsie vans, ferry, busses).

In areas like Fair Lawn and Hackensack are there gypsie vans with the 20 seats or it's just busses? I read another thread that said these areas suck with transportation.

Please assist

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 12:47 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,362 times
Fair Lawn and Hackensack both have two train stations and tons of buses to the city. All the towns have plenty of buses to the city, it's not hard to get into Port Authority, especially in the mornings when there's a lot of express buses. My girlfriend makes it into Manhattan in 25-30 minutes most mornings from our town.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:58 PM

88,508 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc/nj gal View Post
hi all,

I am looking to move to Bergen County areas like Fort Lee, Teaneck, Hackensack, Lodi, Paramus, Fair Lawn...What are the better towns? I am looking for Safety and a nice neighborhood.

But I am concerned about transportation. I originally was looking in areas like North Bergen, Guttenberg and Weehawken because for transportation its easily accessible to NYC (mini gypsie vans, ferry, busses).

In areas like Fair Lawn and Hackensack are there gypsie vans with the 20 seats or it's just busses? I read another thread that said these areas suck with transportation.

Please assist

Thanks!
You've got to be kidding. There are very few places in Bergen County that don't have some kind of transportation to NYC. That's partly why Bergen County is as crowded and desirable a place to live as it is--it's proximity and accessibility to Manhattan. Literally thousands of people commute into NYC from Bergen County every single day.

Fair Lawn has TWO train stations. I think Hackensack does also. Less likely to have these "mini gypsie vans", though, which I'm guessing are like illegal cabs?

If you'd just take a few minutes and look at the NJ Transit website, you could familiarize yourself with the bus lines and train lines, which could help you decide on a location.

www.njtransit.com

EDIT: Oops. I see Brokenaperature already beat me to the FL and Hack train station info, sorry.

OP, if you're looking for safety but the commute from Fair Lawn or Hackensack (or Ridgewood or Waldwick or Allendale or or or or) is too long for you, why not Rutherford? It's the last stop before Secaucus Transfer on the Bergen County Line, and very safe. Similarly, look at Lyndhurt on the Main Line.

You also mentioned Fort Lee. That's an easy trip to NYC, since it's the Jersey side of the GWB, and unless you work in Washington Heights, you would have to catch a train from the GWBBS to wherever you need to go. Nice town, but with a very strong Korean population, if that bothers you.

You don't say where you work in the city. That could make a difference.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:02 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,527,346 times
unless you own a car, bergen co isn't the best public transportation location

buses run by ft lee, but you gotta be literally standing by the GW bridge. i'd rather walk over
and talk the train downtown

Old 04-29-2012, 12:37 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,028,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You've got to be kidding. There are very few places in Bergen County that don't have some kind of transportation to NYC. That's partly why Bergen County is as crowded and desirable a place to live as it is--it's proximity and accessibility to Manhattan. Literally thousands of people commute into NYC from Bergen County every single day.

Fair Lawn has TWO train stations. I think Hackensack does also. Less likely to have these "mini gypsie vans", though, which I'm guessing are like illegal cabs?

If you'd just take a few minutes and look at the NJ Transit website, you could familiarize yourself with the bus lines and train lines, which could help you decide on a location.

www.njtransit.com

EDIT: Oops. I see Brokenaperature already beat me to the FL and Hack train station info, sorry.

OP, if you're looking for safety but the commute from Fair Lawn or Hackensack (or Ridgewood or Waldwick or Allendale or or or or) is too long for you, why not Rutherford? It's the last stop before Secaucus Transfer on the Bergen County Line, and very safe. Similarly, look at Lyndhurt on the Main Line.

You also mentioned Fort Lee. That's an easy trip to NYC, since it's the Jersey side of the GWB, and unless you work in Washington Heights, you would have to catch a train from the GWBBS to wherever you need to go. Nice town, but with a very strong Korean population, if that bothers you.

You don't say where you work in the city. That could make a difference.

Damn straight...

When it comes to the frantic "OMG IM GONNA LIVE IN NJ COMMUTE OT NY IN 3 SECONDS WHERE DO I LIVE????", Rutherford is the answer. More than just the "shut the eff up" aspect, but it's that ideal commuter town. We'd be living there right now but we got a solid deal on our rent. So uuuuuuh, yeah... I'm gonna go drink some beer now. This forum's making my brain hurt these days...

Old 04-29-2012, 07:03 AM

88,508 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Damn straight...

When it comes to the frantic "OMG IM GONNA LIVE IN NJ COMMUTE OT NY IN 3 SECONDS WHERE DO I LIVE????", Rutherford is the answer. More than just the "shut the eff up" aspect, but it's that ideal commuter town. We'd be living there right now but we got a solid deal on our rent. So uuuuuuh, yeah... I'm gonna go drink some beer now. This forum's making my brain hurt these days...
ROFL, brokenaperature, you crack me up.

I wish I'd been awake--would have had a beer with you.

I just picture all these new residents of Rutherford having a conversation one day and discovering they all know about the town because of City-Data...

I think what astounds me is that they all come on here asking the same exact question as if living in NJ and commuting to the city is some sort of unique situation. Hence my repetitious statement that ABOUT A QUARTER MILLION PEOPLE COMMUTE TO NY FROM NJ EVERY DAMN DAY. How do you not know this when you are moving to the area? And don't you think that EVERYONE wants a short commute? Everyone?

I'm waiting for that refreshing post that says, "Hi everyone. I'm moving to NJ because I got a job in the city. I'm looking for a commute of no more than 90 minutes door to door. I need a single-family home and my budget is <insert realistic price for NJ, not Iowa>. My kids seem to be fairly smart, so I'd like a school system that's good enough, but I'm not going to pay an exhorbitant amount of money to live in a town in the top ten on the NJ Monthly School Rankings when my kids will likely do exactly the same in School No. 125. Oh, yes, and I have the intelligence to realize that most suburban towns in NJ are "safe".

OK, I'll be nice now. <Mighty Queen slaps own face>

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-29-2012 at 07:12 AM..

Old 06-03-2012, 07:44 AM

8 posts, read 24,202 times
Thanks to John, Broken and MightyQ-I get it!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:51 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,098,501 times
hackensack has three train stations; New Bridge landing station is more in Hackensack than River Edge

i would recommend rutherford/east rutherford or lyndhurst or wood-ridge for speedy commute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey