Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 10:00 AM

20 posts, read 26,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If you are concerned about crime, then you might as well scratch Jersey City from your list, along with New Brunswick.

From the most recent FBI Uniform Crime Report, here are the rates of violent crime per 1,000 people in both cities:

Jersey City 7.50
New Brunswick 6.80
Ok. Thanks.
I just wanted to ask. You read all sorts of contradictory info on the net that you just don't know what to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 10:46 AM

901 posts, read 2,247,801 times
Urban and low crime rarely coincide together. Just stick to the good areas and you'll be fine. J.C. is becoming the new Hoboken (with a lower price tag). If you want Urban living, here it is!

If you want to be in a nice safe suburban environment, with little to no nightlife there's plenty of that out there too. Figure out what you want and go for it.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
Urban and low crime rarely coincide together. Just stick to the good areas and you'll be fine. J.C. is becoming the new Hoboken (with a lower price tag). If you want Urban living, here it is!

If you want to be in a nice safe suburban environment, with little to no nightlife there's plenty of that out there too. Figure out what you want and go for it.
If you can tell me what the good areas are, that will be helpful since I don't know where's good or bad and I don't know where to get that info.

I plan to visit in about a week but I just don't know where to start.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:32 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
This is the thread for all of you proponents of Newark who say there are plenty of wonderful low-crime neighborhoods in which to live to start pointing them out to this young lady.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:45 AM

I am no expert of J.C., I would suggest starting a new thread with that in the title and hopefully some Young Professionals that live there can help you.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
I am no expert of J.C., I would suggest starting a new thread with that in the title and hopefully some Young Professionals that live there can help you.

Lol. Then why did you recommend it then? I want feedback from people who know why they say what they do. I don't just want a "JC is where you need to be". I want to know why that is and if it meets the criteria that I took the time to specify.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:29 PM

I don't know, perhaps it's because it's the weekend, but I can't believe I am not getting more, specific info on this thread. Or perhaps there are no young professionals who commute to Iselin?

I am in a bind and need some good info.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:51 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,469 times
I still think my idea of NY is really the answer. What can you afford in rent? NJ towns are mostly single family homes that cater to families.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:48 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
I still think my idea of NY is really the answer. What can you afford in rent? NJ towns are mostly single family homes that cater to families.
Only place in NYC with apartments at $1200/month and within a slightly-unreasonable commute of Iselin is Harlem. And not the gentrified parts either.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaBarry View Post
Lol. Then why did you recommend it then? I want feedback from people who know why they say what they do. I don't just want a "JC is where you need to be". I want to know why that is and if it meets the criteria that I took the time to specify.
I know friends that live there and have lived there and enjoyed it. It sounds like it would be what you are looking for. I don't know the town street by street. I set you in the right direction, you do the rest. As I suggested start another thread or do the research on your own to find the areas of the city that would be safe, convienient and affordable for you.

BTW, living across the river in NYC would add much to the price and time of commute for you. Oh and by the way you're welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey