Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 11:45 AM

28 posts, read 91,754 times

Advertisements

Hello
I live in Edison NJ. I recently bought the house.. I have open lot (Paper Street) between my house and neighbor's house. It is owned by Township.
My Question is,
Who is responsible for Lawn Maintenance and grass cutting for this open lot owned by Township?

My dilemma is,
My Neighbor is (His Landscaper) cutting the grass for half the lot. And My landscaper is asking extra money for cutting the grass of other half. So I am basically not cutting the grass and that area has 1 ft long grass and off course does not look pleasant.

My neighbor stopped by and told me that he and previous owner used to take care of this lot..I told him I would love to have that arrangement but I can't take additional financial burden for cutting grass for the plot I don't own...

Am I legally responsible? Have any one been in this kind of situation? I contacted township 2 weeks back but no response.? Should township take care of it?
Please advise
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 12:02 PM

819 posts, read 3,207,116 times
No, you are not legally responsible. You do not own that property. The township should be cutting that grass.
I have this issue now with my township, I have a lot behind my yard where all the extra grass, weeds, poison ivy and everything has grown over into my yard. Not once have I seen anybody take care of this mess. Next time I go down to pay my taxes, I will be asking them about this.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:05 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,377,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiren55 View Post
Hello
I live in Edison NJ. I recently bought the house.. I have open lot (Paper Street) between my house and neighbor's house. It is owned by Township.
My Question is,
Who is responsible for Lawn Maintenance and grass cutting for this open lot owned by Township?

My dilemma is,
My Neighbor is (His Landscaper) cutting the grass for half the lot. And My landscaper is asking extra money for cutting the grass of other half. So I am basically not cutting the grass and that area has 1 ft long grass and off course does not look pleasant.

My neighbor stopped by and told me that he and previous owner used to take care of this lot..I told him I would love to have that arrangement but I can't take additional financial burden for cutting grass for the plot I don't own...

Am I legally responsible? Have any one been in this kind of situation? I contacted township 2 weeks back but no response.? Should township take care of it?
Please advise
Thanks
Of course your not legally responsible but if it bothers you that much you should just bite the bullitt and cut the grass just like your neighbor is doing. I didn't see a post by him complaining.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:24 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,975,563 times
I'd probably be fine just absorbing the cost of cutting the grass. You end up without another neighbor house on top of you and you should feel free to use that lot for the kids to play in (or even plant a garden); so you end up with some of the benefits of the lot without the extra tax burden... just the cost of cutting the grass.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:17 PM

271 posts, read 1,018,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Of course your not legally responsible but if it bothers you that much you should just bite the bullitt and cut the grass just like your neighbor is doing. I didn't see a post by him complaining.
HA

Old 06-04-2012, 02:24 PM

527 posts, read 1,407,833 times
You are not responsible for lawn maintance for a lot you do not own.
Whether it is owned by the town or anyone else.

I would be very careful if you decide to cut that lot.
If you or your contracted workers, hurt themselves, lawyers will have a field day saying the town is not responsible because you were not authorized to do any lawn maint / landscaping there.

In a dark side, you could be fined for trespassing.

Let the grass grow, when it gets high, complain to town, maybe that will move them.
If the 2 neighbors have been cutting it, the lot is off the town's radar and isn't watching it. Call them and explain, it is their responsiblity

or bill them for the service.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:02 PM

367 posts, read 959,543 times
OP,
It seems that you have the benefit of lots of extra space between you and your neighbor for merely the cost of cutting it. The previous owner had no problem taking care of half of it and neither does your neighbor who now likely thinks his new neighbor is "difficult". The town isn't going to take care of it, get used to that fact. Send them a bill? They'll like that as very few such truly amusing things happen at the town hall. BTW, exactly how much extra is it going to cost you to keep this cut and is that amount worth becoming the neighborhood curmudgeon?

Old 06-04-2012, 04:39 PM

819 posts, read 3,207,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett View Post
OP,
It seems that you have the benefit of lots of extra space between you and your neighbor for merely the cost of cutting it. The previous owner had no problem taking care of half of it and neither does your neighbor who now likely thinks his new neighbor is "difficult". The town isn't going to take care of it, get used to that fact. Send them a bill? They'll like that as very few such truly amusing things happen at the town hall. BTW, exactly how much extra is it going to cost you to keep this cut and is that amount worth becoming the neighborhood curmudgeon?
How is the OP being difficult? It is not her/his responsibility to take care of somebody elses property.

OP- complain to the township- take pictures- document this mess. That's what I am doing with my issue.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:46 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,786,909 times
Don't cut it. Send a letter to the town explaining the situation and request a response.
The town is responsible for cutting the grass on a timely basis.
Taxes are crazy high in our state...there is no reason the town cannot handle cutting the grass.

If they cannot do it, then they can pay your landscaper or your neighbors.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:10 AM

367 posts, read 959,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post

How is the OP being difficult?
I used "difficult" as a euphemism for "Whining Jersey Wussie". You know who they are. This forum in general, and this thread in particular, are full of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: