Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 26,505 times

Advertisements

I live in New York and was in New Jersey on business. I got pulled over for speeding about two weeks ago. The officer gave me a warning (or so he said). I just got a letter in the mail telling me I missed my court date, my fine is being increased, etc.

What can I do if the guy never told me I was getting a ticket and never physically gave me a ticket? Is it my word against his? I feel like this is completely unfair and they are trying to take advantage of the situation.

Had I been given an actual ticket, I would have gladly paid the fine, etc. This isn't about whether I am guilty or not. It's about the cop lying to me, telling me I got a warning, and filing it anyways.

Does anyone have any insight on NJ law, advice, etc.?

Thanks,

Brian
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 08:24 PM

11,287 posts, read 16,559,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsannich View Post
I live in New York and was in New Jersey on business. I got pulled over for speeding about two weeks ago. The officer gave me a warning (or so he said). I just got a letter in the mail telling me I missed my court date, my fine is being increased, etc.

What can I do if the guy never told me I was getting a ticket and never physically gave me a ticket? Is it my word against his? I feel like this is completely unfair and they are trying to take advantage of the situation.

Had I been given an actual ticket, I would have gladly paid the fine, etc. This isn't about whether I am guilty or not. It's about the cop lying to me, telling me I got a warning, and filing it anyways.

Thanks,

Brian
Not sure if you have to sign when the cop gives you a ticket.

If not, might as well bend over, because you're screwed.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:31 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,627,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsannich View Post

Thanks,

Brian
Around here the cops usually give a slip of paper as the warning. You didn't get that I take it?

Old 06-07-2012, 09:44 PM

802 posts, read 1,673,393 times
Last time I got pulled over, I didn't physically get a ticket, but I received my summons/ ticket in the mail very soon after. Knowing that you lived out of state, the cop should of just physically gave you a tangible ticket. I would obviously fight this, and make it clear that you are willing to pay the original fine without any problems

Old 06-07-2012, 09:46 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,672,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Around here the cops usually give a slip of paper as the warning. You didn't get that I take it?
I was going to say the same thing. Anytime I've ever gotten pulled over and given a warning (in various states) I have always gotten a slip of paper with the violation and that I was given a warning. It goes on file so if you get pulled over again within a certain time frame you will get a ticket.

You can request to see the video/audio from the incident if there was any. Almost all cops have a recording device on them when they pull someone over. If you can get that it will surely have audio absolving you from the ticket.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:52 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,494,290 times
I would consider fighting the whole thing since you where never handed nor mailed a summons. maybe, no guarantee's they will switch it to something a lot easier to handle, but i wouldn't trade it for one of the "unsafes" right off the bat. They offer those to everyone but they cost about $480.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:09 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,571,089 times
I find it curious that you say two weeks. Normally when a summons is issued and depending on the violation you have the option to plead guily or not guilty. If you plead guilty you pay the set fine. If you mail the summons in and plead not guilty you are then notified by the court of your court date. In my 30 plus years of law enforcement, I have never seen such a short time span from the date of the alleged stop to a missed court date to the court notifying you. Something don't sound right. What town / city did this happen in?

Old 06-08-2012, 07:12 AM

1,612 posts, read 3,740,012 times
nothing happens that fast. You sure you didn't get an earlier ticket that you forgot about? you are talking about a town government AND the post office

Old 06-08-2012, 08:16 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,811,732 times
when you get a warning, there's usually no ticket, and no, you never have to sign any tickets.

Best thing for you to do, is to write a letter telling them that you were given a warning. basically what you posted here, write it politely and ask them what your next step is.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:20 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,636,634 times
Except for the GSP or TP, there is not such thing as a written warning. The statute of limitations for most Title 39 offenses is thirty days. Summons can be issued within that time frame and mailed.

As you got the notice, your address is obviously correct. The notice should have the court of jurisdiction on it along with the statute number. I would call and check if the date and time is the same. As stated, two weeks is a bit soon to get a Failure to Appear notice inter state even with the computerization of the mv summons database. A summons issued two weeks ago would not have the court date listed before a week or longer period. For the system to generate a out of state notice and have it arrive two weeks after the violation date is almost impossible.

Were you asked any questions that turned out to not be truthful such as "had you ever received a speeding summons before?" which when later checked was found not to be factual?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: