Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 11:57 AM

271 posts, read 1,019,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Cranford, hands down. Not sure what the rents are there, but Rahway has a more rough-n-tumble blue collarish feel to it (nothing wrong with that) and the elements that comes along with it. Cranford has a nicer town center and good school system, though try to avoid some parts that flood so badly you need a canoe to get around (no joke).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 03:03 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
...it is a good township with safe neighborhood...

Hmmmm...Woodbridge Township encompasses over 23 square miles.
In all of that territory, there is only one safe neighborhood?
Which one is it?

Old 06-15-2012, 07:29 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
I don't think Rahway is all bad but compared to Cranford it's a step or two down.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:31 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I don't think Rahway is all bad but compared to Cranford it's a step or two down.
At least 2 steps down.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:55 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,139 times
I found it is not good to pick a town that has good sections and bad sections. Sooner or later people from all of the sections come to the same XXX (be it pool, school, etc). I hadnt been to Woodbridge in a long time until I sent to the mall recently. I wouldnt want my kids hanging out there.

BTW, I am suprised that you are finding Cranford cheaper than Maplewood.

Also, is your husband planning on driving to JC? You should figure out the commute (and test it once in rush hour) before you decide

Old 06-17-2012, 12:30 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
I hadnt been to Woodbridge in a long time until I sent to the mall recently. I wouldnt want my kids hanging out there.

Once the gang members from Elizabeth started parading there at night with their Baby Mamas and their strollers, I decided to call it quits on Woodbridge Center.
I can't recall now whether it was Friday night or Saturday night, but one of those two nights rapidly became known by the locals as "Gang Night" at Woodbridge Center.
And, of course, that soon inspired weak-minded wanna-be local teens to begin dressing like the genuine gangsters from Elizabeth.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:29 AM

54 posts, read 208,288 times
Sonofagunk - I'm not sure that Cranford is cheaper than Maplewood. The places we looked at in Maplewood that are in our budget are on the edges of town, near Irvington and/or Union. I'm sure the neighborhoods are completely safe, but they didn't have that "feel" that we're looking for by moving out of Weehawken. It seems that the areas we'd like to live in - closer to the center of town - have few rentals, and they are of course more expensive, substantially so.

We upped our budget a little when we looked in Cranford and found some places that might work. So it's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, but I still get the feeling that the most desirable locations in Maplewood are more expensive than similar Cranford rentals.

ETA: My husband will be taking the train into JC, so that's not an issue. It's actually a better connection from Cranford than Maplewood, since he can connect to the PATH in Newark which takes him directly into his office at Exchange Place. From Maplewood he has to connect in Hoboken, which takes about 10 minutes longer and is $100 more per month.

Last edited by kristir; 06-19-2012 at 08:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey