U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 10:05 PM

53 posts, read 147,517 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, doing some research about the Somerset area (my first choice right now). I'm currently focusing on Bridgewater and Green Brook and trying to figure out what the desirable areas of each town are.

I read a few posts from people saying that it's more desirable to live 'up the mountain' (northwest of 22) because that's the upper class area versus south of 22 being middle class or lower middle class.

Now I'm completely fine with a lower middle class neighborhood... but I do want to make sure it's safe enough as I'm looking for a neighborhood that's extremely safe

Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 10:24 PM

208 posts, read 431,948 times
I don't live in the area, but did see a house south of 22 in Green Brook. I was also hesitant based on what I had read, but the entire neighborhood actually looked quite well-kept and felt safe--maybe that's because I drove there from the south, through some not so nice townships. I'm sure there are better neighborhoods to the north of 22, especially high up, but for what it's worth, south of 22 is not exactly bad either. There is no real downtown though, which was the deal breaker for us...

Old 06-11-2012, 11:53 PM

Hi Taha! Thanks for the comment. I know, it's kind of frustrating to think you found an affordable area that's good in all respects and then you realize it may be too close to dangerous places

When I looked at the google map of NJ, it made it seem as if Plainfield and Green Brook are very far from each other (or at least far enough) but when I looked at the actual outlines of the towns, they're actually adjacent! That's because Plainfield extends pretty far south, it's kind of shaped like a string (not like a square as I had first assumed) I'm so upset.

I read posts from people saying that Piscataway is not the best deal out there because of proximity to Plainfield, but if I'm not mistaken, the southeast side of Green Brook is WAY closer LOL. Actually no, they're both adjacent to it. I just looked it up

I don't need to be in an upper class area but being 2 miles away from Plainfield is too much IMO. Am I exaggerating?

Old 06-12-2012, 12:23 AM

208 posts, read 431,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameradin View Post
Hi Taha! Thanks for the comment. I know, it's kind of frustrating to think you found an affordable area that's good in all respects and then you realize it may be too close to dangerous places

When I looked at the google map of NJ, it made it seem as if Plainfield and Green Brook are very far from each other (or at least far enough) but when I looked at the actual outlines of the towns, they're actually adjacent! That's because Plainfield extends pretty far south, it's kind of shaped like a string (not like a square as I had first assumed) I'm so upset.

I read posts from people saying that Piscataway is not the best deal out there because of proximity to Plainfield, but if I'm not mistaken, the southeast side of Green Brook is WAY closer LOL. Actually no, they're both adjacent to it. I just looked it up

I don't need to be in an upper class area but being 2 miles away from Plainfield is too much IMO. Am I exaggerating?
You will have to get the opinion of those who actually live in Green Brook for that really. On the other hand, you cannot go wrong with Bridgewater from what I've seen. My wife and I are seriously considering Somerville ourselves (we still have a year before we need to move), it has a nice downtown, lots of police presence thanks to the county courthouse, and access to all the Bridgewater malls.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:25 AM

65 posts, read 159,477 times
Lived in Greenbrook most of my 54 years - currently in the area by the middle school - southeast corner of the township - don't feel like I'm in any danger.

There were some breakins in the area recently but the suspect they arrested wasn't from Plainfield - he also was a suspect in similar incidents in Bridgewater, Warren, Watchung, etc...

Not gonna address the "class" issue...

Old 06-12-2012, 07:04 AM

824 posts, read 1,849,106 times
Danger...in Greenbrook....Only if you consider the deer eating your shrubs as a crime.

Seriously, Greenbrook is a safe and wonderful town.

The distinction between the north side of Rt-22 and the south side is strictly economic.

Rich people live higher up the mountain.

The south side isn't exactly the "hood".

To many people in New Jersey, the south side would be considered almost affluent.

Move with confidence.

Truthfully, I can't ever remember a "serious" crime occurring in the town, with the exception of Rt-22 itself.

However, this does not impact on residents or their quality of life. simply one of those occurrences that happen along highway routes throughout America.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:26 AM

2,100 posts, read 2,756,027 times
Yeah I mean what everyone above is saying is right on the mark for the most part. It's not unsafe at all, perhaps a little more blue collar but totally acceptable. It's below "the mountain" which separates Route 22 from the more desirable parts on the mountain: Warren and Watchung etc.

Green Brook is fine, Middlesex is more dense but still fine, Piscataway is actually pretty nice -- further away from Route 22 in fact. Most of it sits closer to 287 by NB. Bound Brook is probably the most iffy, but most of it is still OK. Bridgewater is highly desirable and I wouldn't even put B-water in the same league as the other towns.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:44 AM

Thanks Barry, I'm glad the southeast area doesn't see a lot of crime.

Yeah the class issue I don't really have an opinion on, only what other people have said. Most posters have said that 'up the mountain' live the millionaires and south (east) of 22 that isn't the case. Of course, I'm not a millionaire myself so I'm fine living there. I only want to make sure it's safe LOL

Hi Banger, thanks a lot for the reassurance. I read so many negative posts about Plainfield I thought living relatively close to it might be an issue. But maybe the area of Plainfield that borders Green Brook isn't the dangerous part. Plainfield looks like a very large town. Would the Plainfield area that borders Piscataway be more dangerous? I did read some posts about them being affected by spillover from Plainfield.

I do like the area south of 22 a lot. It doesn't look bad at all. I think my family would probably feel more comfortable in a middle class area than an upper class one anyway

Thanks FreshFlakes, I know Bridgewater seems very upscale, at least the whole area north of 287. Not sure if I will be able to afford something good there LOL. Piscataway always looked very nice to me but I haven't really seen the entire town. I read some negative posts about the area adjacent to Plainfield so that was surprising to me. I still may consider it but probably the area closer to Metuchen.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:23 AM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,138,585 times
I lived for ten years in Green Brook adjacent to N Plainfield and only two blocks from Plainfield. When my son was 10 a couple of pants on the ground losers from the hood (Plainfield) took my sons bicycle away from him a block away from our house.
My neighbors on either side were broken into (I have no idea why we were not).
The closer you live to the hood the easier it is for the beginner criminals who don't yet have cars to pick on your neighborhood.
People who live up on the mountain in Green Brook north of 22 are not immune to break ins but the further away from the bad guys the safer it is.
This holds true for all the town that border Plainfield.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:50 AM

824 posts, read 1,849,106 times
Kameradin,

We don't know where you live now, or your life's experiences.

With that said, I will assume that currently you do not live in North/Central New Jersey.

With that said, in central Jersey crime is a "game of inches".

Quite literally, you can be in a "high crime' area and a short distance away, be in a wonderful and affluent neighborhood where crime is little more than a statistic.

By way of example...The City of Plainfield is widly recognized as a "high crime" area with much drug dealing and quite a number of murders during any given year.

Understanding that less than three miles for these events, sits the Township of Watchung.

Watchung is very affluent with many sports and entertainment types living in multi-million dollar mansions.

That would be three miles and a world away.

In all likelihood, those two worlds will never collide.

Not to pick on Plainfield, we can go from the aforementioned high crime areas that include "drive by shooting" to the "Sleepy Hollow" area where money and privilege still reside.

Basically, to really determine the quality of any give neighborhood, you really have to go and look, research and learn.

In closing, due to population density...things get complicated VERY QUIDKLY!

Good luck.

Please feel free to ask any questions to clarify any questions you have.

People on this forum are almost always very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey