Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 08:13 AM

7 posts, read 66,904 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

My fiancee and I have both gotten new jobs in New York City and will be relocating in July. I lived in Manhattan for 8 years and loved it but it was just me then. Now, I have 2 dogs and a car to contend with so to avoid ridiculous parking fees, I have been told to look into Hoboken and Weehauken as alternatives.

I am unfamiliar with New Jersey and was hoping someone could give me some advice. We just need a one bedroom that is safe and pet friendly. Any idea how much a one bedroom rental apartment runs in the Hoboken/Weehauken area?

Is it a safe area and will I be able to park my car? How long does it take to get into Manhattan?

Thank you,

Dianna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2006, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 22,294 times
My fiance and I are actually moving out of Hoboken. We love the city but the prices of 1 bedroom apartments have risen dramatically and are almost comparable to what you would pay in Manhattan. The typical apartment (clean, safe part of town, nice building,etc) can run you anywhere from $1,200-1,800. That doesn't include parking. I highly recommend finding an apartment with parking. However, please note that most places charge extra ($150 in most cases) on top of your rent. Parking on the street is nearly impossible and if you talk to anyone about Hoboken they will tell you the worst part of the town is trying to find a parking spot. Add bills like heat and hot water and you're monthly payments can be rather high. We tried looking for "cheaper" places to live, but these places were either in a second floor apartment in a 2 family house or just plain dirty (dead roaches on the floor, stained carpeting, etc). Also, a lot of places aren't pet friendly, especially with dogs.

Baically, if you're willing to pay for it you can find a really nice, safe place to live (with parking and pet friendly), but again, it's going to cost you.

Weehawken is almost the same thing, although you can probably find some less expensive places there.

My fiance and I are moving to Roselle Park which is only 15-20 minutes outside Hoboken and about a :30-:45 minute commute to NYC. I'd say don't be afraid to live just outside of Hoboken. The commute into the city isn't that bad and you can find a larger place....for less money.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your search.

- Joe

Old 03-24-2006, 07:58 AM

7 posts, read 66,904 times
Default Thanks JoeG!

JoeG:

Thank you very much for the info..I appreciate it.

I have actually heard a few people say the same thing..so I guess we will go back to looking into Queens and Brooklyn. I will also check out Roselle Park.
Thanks for the info and have a wonderful weekend.

Dianna

Old 03-26-2006, 08:35 AM

11 posts, read 120,161 times
Smile Another places to consider gogo2325

gogo2325,

You could look into Harrison also it is right next to the path that takes you into NYC or Rutherford rents will be better. Rutherford is a lot nicer area then Harrison or Hobokon to be honest with you.

Hope this helps
Keith

Old 07-22-2006, 11:09 AM

12 posts, read 131,589 times
gogo2325 check out the Bronx.The Eastern Bronx really.Like Pelham Parkway,Morris Park areas.These areas are cheap and clean and a quick train ride into Manhattan.Brooklyn is getting expensive.It depends on the neighborhood your looking for.

Old 07-22-2006, 07:41 PM

60 posts, read 455,182 times
Yeah, Hoboken is pricey, but take a look and see what you can find. Parking is a major issue, but some places come with parking or spots. I like Liberty Realty (I don't work there or anything, we got this condo through them), so if you do want to see for yourselves you might try them.

Astoria in Queens, Greenpoint in Brooklyn are also on the cheaper side. I'm not that familiar with the parts of the Bronx that are near Manhattan, except the ones I wouldn't live in.

I've heard good things about Rutherford, and it is commutable. According to a friend who lives there, they don't have good playgrounds, and I don't think the schools are all that great either, so if you intend to have a child you might decide to move again.

Old 07-23-2006, 04:33 PM

4 posts, read 28,664 times
I am in the same situation trying to find rents. I am moving from Oklahoma with 2 very active dogs and am concerned for them. My husband will be working in Manhattan.

Where or who have you been looking/using to find available rental homes/apt?

Old 07-29-2006, 10:38 AM

12 posts, read 131,589 times
Cat05 living in the city everything is close by.The South Bronx is terrible place to be.But the part that I live in is wonderful with affordable rents and very close proximity to Manhattan.I live in Morris Park section which is Italian.Overal the crime is low and the people are friendly.Its really like living back in time.Old fashioned neighborhood good people.I suggest Morris Park,Throgsneck,Pelham Bay or Pelham Parkway if you look into the Bronx.If you looking at Queens go with Maspeth,Astoria(parts of Astoria are becoming increaslingly ghetto),Sunnyside.In Brooklyn you have Bensonhurst,Gravesend,Sheepshead Bay,Mill Basin.The areas I listed here are reasonable as far as costs of living goes mainly if you rent.Very reasonable rents and friendly neighborhoods.These are some of the few isolated nice areas with the original NYC character to them.Mill Basin has just recently changed though.Much better than it used to be.

Old 07-29-2006, 04:43 PM

60 posts, read 455,182 times
I guess closeness can be a subjective thing, then The areas I was thinking of as very nice but far were Pelham Parkway and the area around Van Cortlandt Park. I agree about Sunnyside.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 23,907 times
Not sure if this threat is still active, but if anyone finds themselves in this situation - and don't care NY vs. NJ - i HIGHLY recommend Bayside, Queens. It's a 23 minute LIRR train ride to Penn Station. (Or 1/2 hour drive with no traffic on weekends) It's also a quick drive to the suburbs/malls/beaches of LI. The rent is very reasonable - in parts of town you can get a decent 1 BR for 1000-1300 dollars a month. Parking is not NEAR the nightmare it is in Hoboken. I lived within walking distance of the train station - and NEVER have a problem finding parking. It's very family friendly - and the schools are among the best in NYC. You have great shopping and food choices between Bell Boulevard and Bay Terrace Shopping center. I'd say it's a very pet friendly town - i've seen so many dogs being walked! I only moved out of town because of a job in New Jersey. (Bayside's great - but not worth the commute to NJ! )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey