Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2007, 10:36 PM

5 posts, read 20,165 times

Advertisements

There might be a possibility of moving to New Jersey in couple years what do you think is better there or Pennsylvania we have family in NJ ans I hear PA has more farm land cause we have a horse. And really how high are the property taxes ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 12:00 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonbwyoming View Post
There might be a possibility of moving to New Jersey in couple years what do you think is better there or Pennsylvania we have family in NJ ans I hear PA has more farm land cause we have a horse. And really how high are the property taxes ?
Hi...where are you moving from?

NJ is VERY varied and so is PA. Whereabouts in NJ and where in PA are you considering moving? Because it all depends upon:

1. What you're used to--urban? Rural? Fast-paced? Big homes? Small homes? Big yard? (Would you want to keep your horse on your premises?--or in a rented stable away from your home?)

2. Whether you're looking to copy that, or make a change.

3. How much money you have to spend.

4. What industry you're in/where you plan to work.

There's lots of info on NJ here so I won't repeat all that...but as far as PA, I lived in northeast PA for a while, on the very edges of the Poconos. It was BEAUTIFUL. It was also very remote, and very snowy. My kids missed many, many days of school, my husband got into two car accidents and totaled his car once, and I was stuck on Route 80 for eleven hours one evening/morning with the children in a freezing car and no food because they shut down the highway due to the snow. (That was the winter of 95/96...anybody else remember that?)

So, the pluses to northeast PA: Beautiful, you just can't top it; local to the Water Gap if you like to hike, bike, breathe deeply and camp (I love that stuff); a more "remote" feeling (unless you live in a development); space and local stables since you have a horse. Cons would be: Farther from "industry" for commuting; not so great a break in home prices and taxes as, say, ten years ago because the area is filling up (with commuters); the grocery store isn't around the corner; can be very snowy in winter.

As I said, there's plenty of info on NJ in general here, so scope out the forum. But if you can give a better idea of generally where in NJ, maybe people can give you specific input on towns, taxes, commuting, neighborhoods, etc.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:06 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm...d'oh. (Smacking forehead.) I asked where you're moving from. I suppose your username should have given me a clue.

Hey, folks, it's late...

Okay. I've been to Wyoming. My mother used to live there. In the "big city" of Gillette. Realizing this, I'd have to say that you might be happier in a rural or suburban area of PA. Obviously the state varies greatly and there are cities and all that jazz, but overall there are more "wide-open" areas of PA than there are of NJ, and personalities-wise, I think you might blend in better there than in much of NJ.

Good luck with your decision...it's a big move for you...a lot to consider. Wishing you the best and that you find your own slice of heaven.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:44 PM

5 posts, read 20,165 times
Thanks to you both sorry I didn't come back on here but I think were staying here lol. Much better for employment and the economy hasn't really hit bad here yet.I appreaciate the comments & advise though I think your right PA would have been a better choice.

Old 08-18-2009, 12:01 AM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
wow long time between posts haha. Where in NJ are you living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey