Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 03:31 PM

15 posts, read 54,735 times

Advertisements

Hey, nice to meet another South American in the forum. I'm Peruvian but have lived a few years between Argentina and Uruguay.

Apartment rentals seem to cost a little less than home rentals, and I think that being new to the area take care of an apartment would be easier to keep than a house, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I found these apartment complexes in Ridgewood:

Oak Manor Apartments.
Mayflower Apartments.
East Gate.

And these in Fair Lawn:
Fair Lawn Park States.
Fair Lawn Commons.

The one I liked the most, based on what I read on Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters. , is Oak Manor at Ridgewood, where they also have 3 bedroom apartments slightly above my budget but that could work for me as I need a small home office and bedroom #3 could be adapted to work as one.

I haven't been able to find similar apartment complexes in the other towns in my list, if you know about any interesting ones please let me know.

I'd love to know your thoughts.

Once again, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 04:41 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
I think you'd be fine in Ridgewood. The schools are very good, and you have the restaurants there and access to everything else you'll need. Also, Ridgewood loves it's hospital, Valley Hospital, and many of the doctors affiliated with Valley make their homes in Ridgewood. Many of them are from other countries, so it's not as if you would be the only foreigner in town.

Your kids will do fine, too. Children pick up languages like sponges.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:22 PM

667 posts, read 1,743,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuska View Post
Hey, nice to meet another South American in the forum. I'm Peruvian but have lived a few years between Argentina and Uruguay.

Apartment rentals seem to cost a little less than home rentals, and I think that being new to the area take care of an apartment would be easier to keep than a house, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I found these apartment complexes in Ridgewood:

Oak Manor Apartments.
Mayflower Apartments.
East Gate.

And these in Fair Lawn:
Fair Lawn Park States.
Fair Lawn Commons.

The one I liked the most, based on what I read on Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters. , is Oak Manor at Ridgewood, where they also have 3 bedroom apartments slightly above my budget but that could work for me as I need a small home office and bedroom #3 could be adapted to work as one.

I haven't been able to find similar apartment complexes in the other towns in my list, if you know about any interesting ones please let me know.

I'd love to know your thoughts.

Once again, thanks!
I'll check in GR but I know there are at least 2 I've passed thru town. My plus on GR vs your other 3 choices is the size of my town. it's a 1/3 of the size which makes for a tight knit community. I've really enjoyed that so far, along with the great schools for our young ones (and the town pool is a huge +).

I was in Peru for the Copa America 2004 with my nephew. We followed the Colombian NT all the way to the semis until Argentina knocked us out...no surprise there. ---Best food in Latin America IMO

Let me add, I play pick up soccer with a bunch of guys every Sunday @ 8am in Ridgewood, just in case you get the itch!

Old 06-15-2012, 05:27 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,305,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Your kids will do fine, too. Children pick up languages like sponges.

And, I would like to add that, given the VERY good English language proficiency of the OP, he can likely give his kids a lot of help when it comes to learning English.

Truthfully, the OP's English usage is far better than what is displayed by a huge percentage of the native English speakers who frequent this forum.
While it embarrasses me to say it, based on what I see in this forum and in other blogs, it appears that a great many US-born folks have very poor proficiency in their native language.

Welcome to The USA, Zuska!

Old 06-15-2012, 06:02 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

And, I would like to add that, given the VERY good English language proficiency of the OP, he can likely give his kids a lot of help when it comes to learning English.

Truthfully, the OP's English usage is far better than what is displayed by a huge percentage of the native English speakers who frequent this forum.
While it embarrasses me to say it, based on what I see in this forum and in other blogs, it appears that a great many US-born folks have very poor proficiency in their native language.

Welcome to The USA, Zuska!

I agree on both points.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:22 PM

Both Ridgewood and Glen Rock keep looking better and better.

Mightyqueen801, great to know about Valley Hospital in Ridgewood. I guess that living in Glen Rock, and probably other nearby towns, we'll have access to it as well, is that so? I'm not sure how the private health insurance situation is handled and if I can choose any hospital but that's a different subject that I'll discuss with my employer.

lfsr1544, the small town aspect is an interesting plus. Please do let me know if you get more details about those apartment complexes, website addresses would be great. Another soccer fan here (although I don't play due to a minor discapacity), and even if I'm Peruvian I root for Uruguay, my current home. I was lucky enough to live in Montevideo when Uruguay got to the semifinals in South Africa 2010, an amazing experience for any soccer lover. Funny thing, Uruguay and Colombia both beat Peru in the last two matches, Peru's national team has sucked since Mexico '70 era And hey, I'd love to go see some Sunday soccer in Ridgewood, thanks for the invitation, I'll get in touch if everything goes well and I become a new neighbor.

Retriever, thanks for your kind comments. I love reading and writing and strive to do my best in both Spanish and English (currently learning German). Since my daughters were born, my wife and I have been instilling a love for words in them and we will keep Spanish at home once we become US residents.

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2012, 03:41 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,253,848 times
I looked at Fair Lawn Commons and was not impressed.

One of the things I don't like about the Ridgewood apartment complexes you mentioned is they are a bit of a hike to the train. It is a pleasant enough walk through downtown occasionally, but I can't imagine doing that every day. Bus would leave you off closer, but I'm not a fan of the bus during the evening commute. I went with a rental in a house just on the west side of town (train station being the divider), so I have fast access to the downtown, 3 bus lines, and the train.

I use NJMLS.com when I'm searching.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:10 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrex View Post
I looked at Fair Lawn Commons and was not impressed.

One of the things I don't like about the Ridgewood apartment complexes you mentioned is they are a bit of a hike to the train. It is a pleasant enough walk through downtown occasionally, but I can't imagine doing that every day. Bus would leave you off closer, but I'm not a fan of the bus during the evening commute. I went with a rental in a house just on the west side of town (train station being the divider), so I have fast access to the downtown, 3 bus lines, and the train.

I use NJMLS.com when I'm searching.
Isn't there a complex adjacent to the train station in downtown Ridgewood? Not sure of the name but I think it's just off West Ridgewood Ave.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:53 AM

Thanks vfrex and EBWick.

And now that you mention an evening commute, how safe is to walk in Ridgewood or Glen Rock at night? I mean, is it ok to go out on a nice warm evening with my family and walk around? Are there areas I should avoid?

Old 06-16-2012, 08:17 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,457,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuska View Post
Thanks vfrex and EBWick.

And now that you mention an evening commute, how safe is to walk in Ridgewood or Glen Rock at night? I mean, is it ok to go out on a nice warm evening with my family and walk around? Are there areas I should avoid?
No disrespect, Zuska, but this may be the funniest question ever posted on this forum. They're two beautiful, super affluent towns, with absolutely no areas to avoid. You could take a walk at 3 a.m. or 3 p.m. Just have some Grey Poupon ready in case someone in a limo rolls by and asks you for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey