Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:32 PM

46 posts, read 49,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
If I were you I would do whatever it took to buy in Pt Pleasant Beach. Look no further. End of story.
Beach? It is never hard to talk me into living by the beach, care to tell me more about Pt Pleasant Beach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
It's more messed up than most people realize.

Lakewood Parents' Group Speaks to Cerf

A new group called Lakewood UNITE, which represents minority children who attend Lakewood Public Schools, met with Ed. Comm. Chris Cerf yesterday to ask for help from the NJ DOE because, said Pastor Earl Jackson, “The money is coming in (to the district) but it is not going to the public school.”

How does that work? According to an article in today’s Asbury Park Press, there are about 20,000+ school-age children in Lakewood, but only 4,447 go to Lakewood Public Schools. The rest of the children, about 15,000 – 18,000 (depending upon whom you ask) go to Orthodox Jewish yeshiva, and the district provides busing, supplies, special education services for classified students, and even pays rent for afterschool activities for eligible children. That’s 400 private bus routes per day (boys and girls ride in separate buses).

In fact, Lakewood Public Schools allocates about $20 million per year out of a $100 million budget to transportation. In addition, as the New York Times has reported, many of the Jewish students who are enrolled in Lakewood Public Schools are classified as eligible for special education services, and Lakewood sends most of them to a school called The School For Hidden Intelligence, which “is known locally as a school for Orthodox families.” Annual tuition is about $100,000.
Wow! that is something I have never had to worry about in Seattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
The area Lakewood is located in is more affordable since it is further from NYC. However, you don't want to live in Lakewood because of the schools.

In NJ most of the school districts are decent and a lot are good. One of the best school districts close to Lakewood is Pt. Pleasant Beach. There is also Pt. Pleasant boro which is ok, but right now they are two separate districts. There is a push in NJ to combine small districts so at some point this may happen but I don't think it would be a terrible thing. The advantage of those towns is that you are on/very near the beach. You could also consider Wall Twp. since they also have a good school system.

Not to sound stupid but "wall twp"? is that short for something? Township maybe???

If you want to live on waterfront, you could consider areas of Brick or Toms River. You could get a lagoon front property within your budget and you could dock your boat and your kids can park the jetski's on your dock. However, these are large towns with very big school districts. The schools are average. I prefer TR over Brick schools.

The more I keep reading about being on the water, and getting a good school district starting to sound even better.

All of the towns mentioned are 15-30 mins. from Lakewood. Really, in my opinion, you'd have to be crazy to live further away than that since your budget would get you a lot in this area. Jackson is another option. It is also big and the schools are decent but you are futher inland...personally I prefer being closer to the coast.

You are right, proximity to everything is awesome. Phila, DC, Boston, NYC, and NJ has a lot to offer too..Welcome to NJ!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 09:10 PM

901 posts, read 2,248,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSportsNut View Post
Beach? It is never hard to talk me into living by the beach, care to tell me more about Pt Pleasant Beach?

Wow! that is something I have never had to worry about in Seattle.
Point Pleasant Beach NJ Shore Visitors Guide Town Information

Borough of Point Pleasant Beach, NJ

Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check out these links!

best schools in Ocean County

great residential neighborhoods within a mile or so from the beach, look at realtor.com

stay in from several blocks at least of the boadwalk when looking to live, nothing unsafe just too much crowds, traffic and summer rentals

Old 06-22-2012, 09:21 PM

589 posts, read 1,347,525 times
I grew up in Brick, the town between Lakewood and Pt Pleasant. Pt Pleasant Beach is a wonderful place, 9 months of the year. And has great schools. Be prepared for massive traffic, tourist invasions, etc during the summer.

If you want to be near the water, the summer traffic and crowds might be a price you are willing to pay. If you want to keep that 30 minutes or less to Lakewood, and great schools, but don't want to deal with the crowds, look into Freehold Borough.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:34 PM

46 posts, read 49,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OysterCatcher View Post
Point Pleasant Beach NJ Shore Visitors Guide Town Information

Borough of Point Pleasant Beach, NJ

Point Pleasant Beach, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check out these links!

best schools in Ocean County

great residential neighborhoods within a mile or so from the beach, look at realtor.com

stay in from several blocks at least of the boadwalk when looking to live, nothing unsafe just too much crowds, traffic and summer rentals
Thanks was just looking at realtor.com and started wondering about locations given the summer influx of people. Ocean County looks to have the school ratings that I am looking for.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:01 PM

248 posts, read 535,210 times
stay away from Lakewood! Manalapan, freehold, Marlboro are nice.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:07 PM

50,765 posts, read 36,458,112 times
He probably moved by now, the thread is 6 months old.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:44 PM

302 posts, read 629,593 times
Toms River or Brick are very nice, family oriented and still managed to have low taxes. Lakewood is riddled with gangs, minorities, drugs and crime. It also has the largest hassidic jew community outside of NYC. Just this year the town was fighting with the mayor because the young kids were on the bus with the middle school kids who were being violent, sexual and doing drugs on the bus. Lakewood is the ghetto of Ocean County. A police officer was shot in the face point blank there.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:51 PM

386 posts, read 871,939 times
Does he have to live in Monmouth or Ocean?

IMO, neither of these counties offer a "real-world" experience and they are not diverse at all.

Don't get me wrong, they have some great areas, but almost seem like they're in a "bubble"...not too much going on. It'll certainly be a change of pace from Seattle.

On the flip side, both counties are full of transplants. You might not run into the "Jersey 'tude" as much there, and you might have a less...er..."authentic" (stereotypical) experience, but you won't run into the awkward silence when you introduce yourself as a transplant.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:21 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post
IMO, neither of these counties offer a "real-world" experience and they are not diverse at all.
The "real world" is a swirling toilet of crime, conflict, and the destruction of American values. I'll take my bubble by the sea in Ocean County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey