Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 10:34 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,920,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
That isn't the way it is in North Jersey or specifically Bergen or Hudson counties. Most apartments rent for close to or over $2,000 a month with the broker taking 15% of the annual rent from the prospective tenant. And usually you see one or two apartments not many. And every apartment I have seen I have paid my own tolls & gas to and from back to NYC...

Maybe it is different when you are in Southwest Jersey or away from the NYC metro area part of NJ.
If you think its such easy money, why don't you get into real estate business??

There are crooks everywhere....stop generalizing. We just bought a house in Bergen County and I lOVED my agent. She was extremely professional and honest with us. We spent over 9 months looking for houses and she showed us 60+ houses in the town we were looking to buy. Whatever commision she got, she absolutely deserved it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2006, 05:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,992 times
mercer county is probably the best place. New train stations to NYC townhouses in Hamilton starting at $250 homes at $300. The value of homes have increased apx. 8% very year.

Last edited by Global Friend; 06-18-2007 at 09:12 AM..

Old 10-08-2006, 07:17 AM

2 posts, read 5,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn2006 View Post
...could someone please recommend a good area, preferably not far from NYC & Staten Island (since both of us work there). My husband & I are from Queens, NY...we are not familiar with NJ and the good areas...Our price range is upto $300,000....I've heard Plainfield is a good area and also Roselle...is this decent? Please help! Thanks alot!
HI! PLAINFIELD MAY OR MAY NOT BE THE BEST AREA FOR YOU. IT DEPENDS ON WHAT PART YOU MOVE TO. IF YOU ARE CLOSER TO NORTH PLAINFIELD AND GREENBROOK YOU WILL BE OK. YOU CAN TRY HILLSIDE WHICH IS VERY CONVINIENT, I GREW UP THERE WE WERE CLOSE TO NY (HOLLAND TUNNEL), NEWARK AIRPORT, THE GARDEN STATE PARKWAY, IKEA AND MUCH MORE. WE ALSO HAVE THE ELIZABETH TRAIN STATION AROUND THE CORNER FROM HERE. BUT LIKE EVERY PLACE IT HAS ITS GOOD AND UGLY. CLOSEST TO UNION WOULD BE THE BEST PARTS OF HILLSIDE. UNION IS A LITTLE EXPENSIVE BUT IS ALSO A GREAT AREA. ROSELLE IS NICE AS WELL, BUT BE CAREFUL WITH BEING TO CLOSE TO SOME PARTS OF LINDEN. I LIVE IN RAHWAY NOW CLOSE TO THERE HOSPITAL AND FOUND IT TO BE NICE AND QUIET, BUT THE HOUSE MY PARENTS BOUGHT HERE WAS $500,000 BUT THERE ARE CHEAPER SIDES OF RAHWAY. THE TRAIN STATION IS NEAR BY AND THE UNION COUNTY ARTS CENTER IS IN DOWNTOWN RAHWAY. YOU CAN ENJOY A SHOW AND DINNER. THE BUSES COME IN AND OUT EASILY HERE.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 5,982 times
Default Jenn I Forgot To Mention...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMILYSTYLEZ7283 View Post
HI! PLAINFIELD MAY OR MAY NOT BE THE BEST AREA FOR YOU. IT DEPENDS ON WHAT PART YOU MOVE TO. IF YOU ARE CLOSER TO NORTH PLAINFIELD AND GREENBROOK YOU WILL BE OK. YOU CAN TRY HILLSIDE WHICH IS VERY CONVINIENT, I GREW UP THERE WE WERE CLOSE TO NY (HOLLAND TUNNEL), NEWARK AIRPORT, THE GARDEN STATE PARKWAY, IKEA AND MUCH MORE. WE ALSO HAVE THE ELIZABETH TRAIN STATION AROUND THE CORNER FROM HERE. BUT LIKE EVERY PLACE IT HAS ITS GOOD AND UGLY. CLOSEST TO UNION WOULD BE THE BEST PARTS OF HILLSIDE. UNION IS A LITTLE EXPENSIVE BUT IS ALSO A GREAT AREA. ROSELLE IS NICE AS WELL, BUT BE CAREFUL WITH BEING TO CLOSE TO SOME PARTS OF LINDEN. I LIVE IN RAHWAY NOW CLOSE TO THERE HOSPITAL AND FOUND IT TO BE NICE AND QUIET, BUT THE HOUSE MY PARENTS BOUGHT HERE WAS $500,000 BUT THERE ARE CHEAPER SIDES OF RAHWAY. THE TRAIN STATION IS NEAR BY AND THE UNION COUNTY ARTS CENTER IS IN DOWNTOWN RAHWAY. YOU CAN ENJOY A SHOW AND DINNER. THE BUSES COME IN AND OUT EASILY HERE.

I FORGOT TO ADD..........
MERCER COUNTY IS A LITTLE FAR FOR YOU, AND EVEN IF YOU GET A CHEAPER TOWN HOUSE OR HOME YOUR COMMUTE WOULD BE LONGER AND TRAVELING FEES AND WEAR/TEAR ON YOUR CAR MIGHT BE HARDER ON YOU. IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN OR PLAN TO HAVE ANY IT MIGHT BE HARD FOR YOU TO COME BACK AND FORTH TO THEM IF THERE IS EVER AN EMERGENCY. TRUST ME WE HAVE DONE A LOT OF RESEARCH IN THE AREAS THAT WOULD BE CHEAPER OR EASIER FOR THE LAST 5-8 YRS AND WE ALWAYS COME BACK TO UNION COUNTY. YES THE TAXES ARE HIGHER IN THIS AREA AND THE HOMES MAYBE MORE EXPENSIVE BUT THATS BECAUSE OF THE EASY ACCESS TO EVERYTHING YOU MIGHT WANT. IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT, BUY A FIXER UPPER IN THIS AREA, AND LITTLE BY LITTLE PUT SOME MONEY INTO AND MAKE IT YOUR OWN IT WILL PAY OFF TRUST ME. THEN IN A FEW YEARS ONCE YOUR READY TO EXPAND, PUT IT ON THE MARKET AND YOU WILL GET YOUR MONEY BACK AND THEN SOME. THE MARKET IS A LITTLE SLOW RIGHT NOW, SO SOME BUYERS AND SELLERS MAYBE DESPERATE TO SELL BUT KEEP YOUR HOPES UP, THE RIGHT HOUSE WILL COME ALONG. MY PARENTS BOUGHT A HOUSE IN HILLSIDE FOR 90,000 ABOUT 15 YRS AGO WHICH WAS EXPENSIVE FOR THEM, BUT WE REMODELED IT OVER THE YEARS LITTLE BY LITTLE AND IT IS NOT APPRAISED AT 340,000. WE KEPT IT AND RENTED OUT TO FAMILY. JUST BE PATIENT, YOU HAVE BEEN THUS FAR. AND GOOD LUCK...

P.S.
GO TO FORSALEBYOWNER.COM ON THE INTERNET SORRY FOR ANY REALTORS OUT THERE BUT YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET A HOUSE THROUGH THE OWNER WHICH IS EASIER FOR YOU IF YOUR ALREADY PRE-APPOVED. YOU WON'T FEEL OBLIGATED TO COMMIT TO ANY REALTOR

Old 10-09-2006, 08:59 AM

4 posts, read 40,843 times
Quote:
Not for $370,000 in Monmouth county. What are you smoking?? That area has been bid up by NY'ers from Manhattan, Staten Island & Long Island who cashed out equity and sent house prices skyrocketing.

The OP would have better luck in southwestern NJ south of Exit 7 on the NJ turnpike since technically that is outside the NYC metro area..
NO! I am not KIDDING!!!!
Take a look at this house!!!
<a href="http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/HomeListing.asp?snum=10&locallnk=yes&frm=byzip&mnb ed=3&mnbath=2&mnprice=350000&mxprice=400000&js=off &pgnum=1&fid=so&stype=&mnsqft=&mls=xmls&areaid=077 47&poe=realtor&zp=07747&sbint=&vtsort=&sorttype=&t yp=1&x=28&y=15&sid=074B2F9723F9C&snumxlid=10683951 05&lnksrc=00002>Click here!!!</a>

Old 10-09-2006, 08:18 PM

138 posts, read 507,862 times
Quote:
That isn't the way it is in North Jersey or specifically Bergen or Hudson counties. Most apartments rent for close to or over $2,000 a month with the broker taking 15% of the annual rent from the prospective tenant. And usually you see one or two apartments not many. And every apartment I have seen I have paid my own tolls & gas to and from back to NYC...

Maybe it is different when you are in Southwest Jersey or away from the NYC metro area part of NJ.
Wrong...again...I spent the bulk of my career in Bergen County before moving to Morris County and have worked in Hudson County as well. 1/2 of the monthly rent is your commission. End of story. I don't know what YOU were smoking while looking for apartments, but I'd advise a clearer head on your next trip out!

Of course you paid your own tolls & gas from NYC. WTH would anyone else??? That just doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I was referring to when a Realtor drives the tenant from apt. to apt. aka 'showing properties.'

Real estate 101 is now adjourned. Pop quiz on Friday. Don't smoke anything beforehand.

Old 11-23-2006, 02:01 AM

562 posts, read 2,610,103 times
I would recommend to move to Elizabeth's Elmora section.. safer side of elizabeth and walking distance to NJT Train station.. you can find a nice single family house at around 300k.. and taxes are not so high when compared to Roselle..

Old 11-23-2006, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,925 times

THAT IS SO FUNNY HEARING ABOUT JERSEY CITY, I WAS BORN AND RAISED THERE 7 GENERATIONS OF US FROM THERE. I MOVED OUT LAST YEAR DUE TO THE INCREASED GANG ACTIVITY, I WAS A DIE HARD JC GIRL. IT IS NOT FOR THOSE WHO HAVE CHILDREN. I REMEMBER WHEN THE WATERFRONT WAS THERE FOR SWIMMING OFF THE PIERS WATCHING THE '76 BICENTENNIAL OF OUR LADY LIBERTY, HANGING OUT IN THE BOAT HOUSES NEAR JOHSTON AVE AND TELLING TIME BY THE CLOCK ON THE COLGATE BUILDING. NOW THE PRICES ARE SO OURAGEOUSLY HIGH THAT THOSE WHO DID ONCE CARE FOR JERSEY CITY CANT NOT AFFORD TO LIVE THERE. ALL I CAN SAY IS GOOD LUCK,.

Quote:
For that price range you should look in upstate NY or in NY State north or west of the catskills.

You aren't going to find a 'house for up to $300,000' in any decent part of NJ north of exit 7 on the NJ Turnpike(that is funny BTW)..

I see tiny railroad style condos in Jersey City at a 'reduced' price of $349,000 with another $250 a month in taxes + $150 in maintenance (which doesn't even include heat or hot water)..

Since you are from Queens, I didn't think you would be that naive. North & Central Jersey is no cheaper than Queens & actually no different than Long Island.

Old 11-23-2006, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scohen641 View Post
I am a realtor and mercer county is probably the best place. New train stations to NYC townhouses in Hamilton starting at $250 homes at $300. The value of homes have increased apx. 8% very year.
but THERE IS A CONTROVERSARY SURRONDING THE BUILDING OF HOMES NEAR AND AROUND THAT TRAIN STATION IN HAMILTON. THE NEWLY ELECTED REPUBLICANS ARE OPPOSED TO THE HOMES AND THAT WILL ALSO DRIVE UP THE COSTS OF LIVING THERE AS WHO IS GOING TO CHALLENGE AND BATTLE THE POLITICANS. THIS IS SOMETHING I HAVE BEEN READING ABOUT AND THOUGHT WAS A GREAT IDEA SO THERE WOULD BE A VILLAGE NEAR THE TRAINS SO THEY CAN ACTUALLY WALK AND CONSERVE AND SAVE THE ENVIORNMENT AND DE-CLUTTER THE ROADS..((( yeah like that will work in this already over crowded state.))) Just the other day i mentioned to my spouse who was not born in NJ about how the road ways were never like this when i was growing up. I guess it is time to move on...

Old 02-03-2007, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,935 times
Default Looking for a house in New Jersey

Have you found a house yet? If not perhaps i can help you. I am a NJ realtor, If you give me your email address i can email you houses that are on the market so that you can see what you can get for $300.000.Will you be taking the ferry over to NY?
Thanks!
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn2006 View Post
...could someone please recommend a good area, preferably not far from NYC & Staten Island (since both of us work there). My husband & I are from Queens, NY...we are not familiar with NJ and the good areas...Our price range is up to $300,000....I've heard Plainfield is a good area and also Roselle...is this decent? Please help! Thanks a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey