U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 09:15 AM

261 posts, read 667,689 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to move from a 1-br to a 2-br (baby boy on the way) somewhere in Middlesex county, but are having a hard time finding an apartment.

Our budget is $1,200-$1,400, and we'd prefer a rental in a private home rather than a condo/apartment complex. Must haves are pretty simple: 2 bedrooms, in-unit laundry or hook-up, and off-street parking.

We'd prefer Milltown, Ea. Brunswick, or Metuchen, but would also consider No. Brunswick, Old Bridge, South Amboy, or Spotswood.

I've been searching Craigslist, Realtor.com, and Trulia.com for weeks now and I'm having no luck what-so-ever.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by focus282; 06-25-2012 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 PM

Anyone?

Old 06-25-2012, 02:51 PM

852 posts, read 1,808,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by focus282 View Post
My wife and I are looking to move from a 1-br to a 2-br (baby boy on the way) somewhere in Middlesex county, but are having a hard time finding an apartment.

Our budget is $1,200-$1,400, and we'd prefer a rental in a private home rather than a condo/apartment complex. Must haves are pretty simple: 2 bedrooms, in-unit laundry or hook-up, and off-street parking.

We'd prefer Milltown, Ea. Brunswick, or Metuchen, but would also consider No. Brunswick, Old Bridge, South Amboy, or Spotswood.

I've been searching Craigslist, Realtor.com, and Trulia.com for weeks now and I'm having no luck what-so-ever.

Middlesex County is really big, I wouldn't want to have a job up in Woodbridge and live in Plainsboro or vice versa. I would first focus on a town or two with everything you're looking for, within close proximity to jobs then contact a local realtor that specializes in rentals.

My suggestions would be Metuhen in the northern half, and Plainsboro, South Brunswick or Cranbury in the south. Good luck.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:08 PM

1,041 posts, read 2,546,516 times
Werent you in the process of buying a house a few months ago, that fell through?

Old 06-25-2012, 06:58 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,130,396 times
Quote:
Anyone?
You mentioned East and North Brunswick. What's wrong with South Brunswick? There's some options in your price range there. You may think South Brunswick is "too far" but with the turnpike, 130, and 1 right there, it's more accessible than you think as opposed to certain areas of East Brunswick and Spotswood. You also may want to consider Monroe.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
Werent you in the process of buying a house a few months ago, that fell through?
TonyStarksNJ -- yeah -- ended up changing our plans for the time being. We went back and forth a few times with the sellers on a house in North Brunswick, but, in the end, we decided to pull out -- my wife is due in November, and we decided it would be best for her to stay home with the baby for the first year or so. Continuing to rent will allow us to do so without putting any strain on us financially (especially if a maintenance or other unforeseen problem arose after buying the house). Once she goes back to work, we'll start looking at houses again.

So, for now, we're looking to move from the 1 bedroom to a 2 bedroom.

SweepTheLeg, thanks for the South Brunswick idea. I did in fact think it was "too far", and, I also haven't heard the greatest things from some people about the area, but, I think it's worth taking a look at as well.

OysterCatcher -- I agree that Middlesex is pretty large -- basically we are trying to stay within a 20-minute radius of North Brunswick b/c my wife's family lives there. Preferably that 20 minutes would be going towards NYC, as that's where I work. But, I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of a longer commute if the apt is worth it.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:27 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,130,396 times
Quote:

SweepTheLeg, thanks for the South Brunswick idea. I did in fact think it was "too far", and, I also haven't heard the greatest things from some people about the area, but, I think it's worth taking a look at as well.
I've lived in South Brunswick, and so have others posting here. I'm not sure what you mean by "you haven't heard the greatest things" but I fully enjoyed my time there and sometimes wish I could move back. It's a relatively low-crime area, there's lots of close amenities, the accessibility is VERY good, and the schools are fantastic. (Granted, not as great as East Brunswick *or* West Windsor/Plainsboro, but are still very very very very good for this area)

I would take a look at Princeton Orchards, East Gardens, and Southridge Woods, but I would avoid looking at Royal Oaks (East Gardens and Royal Oaks are managed by the same company, but I've heard there's issues with Royal Oaks)

(also: with the three complexes I mentioned, you're right on top of 130 and very very close to 8A. Because of this, the time saved actually makes them closer than certain parts of East Brunswick, Spotswood, and Old Bridge)

Old 06-26-2012, 02:24 PM

852 posts, read 1,808,792 times
Quote:

South Brunswick is better than all these towns you mentioned except East Bruns and Metuchen which it's on par with. If you like quiet and more space I would say its better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or