Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 01:13 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times

Advertisements

I just started trying this -- commuting from Warren township to Harrison PATH and then onto 33rd street where I work. It takes about 25 to get to Harrison PATH from my house and then 30-35 on PATH to 33rd street. The funny thing is the GPS says it takes over 30 to get from my house to Harrison but I end up zig zagging on side streets through iron bound (as opposed to sitting on rt. 21 going into downtown Newark) and it takes less time. Then it's $7 to park across the street in a lot and boom, you are on the PATH with a quick transfer in Journal Square. It's about 50-60 door to door. Anybody else find this a best kept secret? Seems like they are trying to do a lot with Harrison in terms of gentrification. Not sure if it will blossom as fast as some other areas though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 01:19 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I just started trying this -- commuting from Warren township to Harrison PATH and then onto 33rd street where I work. It takes about 25 to get to Harrison PATH from my house and then 30-35 on PATH to 33rd street. The funny thing is the GPS says it takes over 30 to get from my house to Harrison but I end up zig zagging on side streets through iron bound (as opposed to sitting on rt. 21 going into downtown Newark) and it takes less time. Then it's $7 to park across the street in a lot and boom, you are on the PATH with a quick transfer in Journal Square. It's about 50-60 door to door. Anybody else find this a best kept secret? Seems like they are trying to do a lot with Harrison in terms of gentrification. Not sure if it will blossom as fast as some other areas though.
I think it will. I've already been watching all the changes from the view of the PATH as I pass through from Newark Penn every day. They built those apartments and put up the parking garage, then built the stadium. Now some of the seedy, broken-down warehouses are gone and you can see the street, which looks as if it's been renovated, too (meaning the buildings). Harrison PATH station is being demolished and rebuilt, so that will bring about more changes. I think its location will make it happen sooner rather than later.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:16 PM

208 posts, read 545,223 times
Does anyone know how safe it is to walk from the PATH station to the residential (old) part of Harrison, to the north of 280? There are some nice houses up there

Old 06-27-2012, 02:28 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taha-nj View Post
Does anyone know how safe it is to walk from the PATH station to the residential (old) part of Harrison, to the north of 280? There are some nice houses up there
I do it once or 5x a week , its safe...even the quiet streets....People are pretty friendly in Harrison , if you have any questions just ask them and they'll answer... Old harrison , along with East Newark is Middle / Working class , New Harrison is leaning towards upper middle class.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:42 PM

13 posts, read 29,594 times
Does Harrison have 24hr PATH service?

Old 06-27-2012, 08:18 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursdays View Post
Does Harrison have 24hr PATH service?
Yes, though service gets pretty slow and circuitous late at night (You have to go through HOB to get to and from 33rd)

It's not much of a secret, judging from the way the garage fills up nowadays.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:18 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
You're telling on yourself.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:21 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Yes, though service gets pretty slow and circuitous late at night (You have to go through HOB to get to and from 33rd)

It's not much of a secret, judging from the way the garage fills up nowadays.
It could (and will) get a lot worse. The fact that they have two lots surrounding the PATH station that don't fill up to capacity in the morning (unlike Newark or Hoboken) then you know the masses don't partake just yet.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:21 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Those lots will be gone by the end of the decade replaced with Urban Retail , Housing and Educational space.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:58 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Then it's $7 to park across the street in a lot and boom, you are on the PATH with a quick transfer in Journal Square. It's about 50-60 door to door. Anybody else find this a best kept secret?
(1) I assume that it is the same price to go from Harrison to 33rd street with a change in Journal Square as it is to go from Harrison to World Trade Center. Can you confirm?

(2) The PATH website says 20 minutes to get from Harrison to WTC, and 40 minutes to change trains in JS and get to 33rd street. Can you confirm?

(3) If your actual goal is Time's Square, would it be quicker to take the PATH into WTC, change to E train, and go to Port Authority/Times Square underground walkway. I can't tell how much time it takes to negotiate the temporary station at WTC. It may be easier to change in Journal Square and walk the distance from Herald Square to Times Square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey