Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:30 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,779 times

Advertisements

Tell us your Action Park Stories

I dont really have any
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 12:29 PM

329 posts, read 1,442,729 times
I never went there, either. I guess it's just as well that we didn't. I just Googled it and basically it was an accident waiting to happen and totally unsafe. When it closed in the 80's their had been 6 deaths already due to carelessness. And 2 were within a week's span. I do remember the Playboy Club being up there, too. I never went but I do remember that my brother was a "keyholder". lol I think they went belly-up, too.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:44 PM

132 posts, read 520,490 times
Never mind Action Park which is still there last time I looked, anyone remember Pallisades Park?

Old 09-28-2007, 01:50 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times
Before my time.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:55 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times
Default Turtle Back Zoo?

Does anyone remember this place when they had the huge sized tortoises racing on an actual track?

Old 09-28-2007, 02:18 PM

329 posts, read 1,442,729 times
It re-opened under the name "Mountain Creek".There are so many articles about how unsafe and trashy it was, to the point of being UN-INSURABLE,(oh, my). I also read on a website that in the "You know that you're from New jersey when"...1. You have been injured at Action Park (that's kind of hilarious).

Anyway, Palisades park was a blast, some good memories from there. I was lucky enough to live a few blocks from Olympic Park and spent a lot of time there, too. The Wild Mouse ride seemed monsterous back then, but in comparison to today's roller coasters it's miniscule. lol

Old 09-28-2007, 02:23 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTina View Post
It re-opened under the name "Mountain Creek".There are so many articles about how unsafe and trashy it was, to the point of being UN-INSURABLE,(oh, my). I also read on a website that in the "You know that you're from New jersey when"...1. You have been injured at Action Park (that's kind of hilarious).

Anyway, Palisades park was a blast, some good memories from there. I was lucky enough to live a few blocks from Olympic Park and spent a lot of time there, too. The Wild Mouse ride seemed monsterous back then, but in comparison to today's roller coasters it's miniscule. lol

Wow..Olympic Park what a flashback

Old 09-28-2007, 02:23 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellyflops View Post
Never mind Action Park which is still there last time I looked, anyone remember Pallisades Park?
Yes, I remember it, and what about Jungle habitat? My husband drove me from LI on our first date to go there, then we went to a restaurant on LI(cookies) and a drive in Movie. None of those places are still operating.

Diane

Old 09-28-2007, 02:24 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times
I had never been, but I remember the commercials showing the waterslide that shot you out of a pipe and into a pool of water which was what seemed like 20' below. An insurance adjuster's nightmare and a 10 year old boy's dream come true A while back someone posted a tribute to Action Park on the web and described that very slide-apparently they didn't slope it enough and you would slow down to a near crawl towards the opening of the tube. Sure enough, you'd hear the delirious screams of the next person who was inevitably allowed to go after you even though the lifeguard had no idea if you were out of the way yet Then you'd have to inch yourself to the edge hoping that you didn't get some kid's feet firmly implanted into you spine!

Old 09-28-2007, 02:35 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,328,043 times
I loved going to Action Park. I remember one time going on the Tarzan rope which was up really high and doing the worst belly flop when I let go of the rope and getting the worse stomach ache of my life. It knocked the wind out of me - I thought I was going to drown.

I remember kids always getting hurt to some degree-bumps, bruises, scrapes, etc. But I always remember doing crazy things and we would dare each other to do ridiculous stunts-like kids always do. It is a miracle we only got bumps and bruises. I had some fun memories there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey