U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 06:09 AM

140 posts, read 119,968 times
Default Moving out of Jersey, to the South

Hey All,

I'm interested to hear past experiences from Jersey folks moving out and settling in the cheaper south, like the Carolina's or anywhere else. I'm originally from Bergen county NJ but have been living abroad in Asia for the last 10 years and its almost time to move back to the States.

As my family is mostly in NJ, its tough to not move back to Jersey and settle in. My only issue is the high costs of living in the area. When you compare it to Charlotte or somewhere down south, it seems like Jersey is not a great deal. Property taxes, prices of real estate and other costs are so much higher in Jersey and the tri-state area. With some income outside (rental income) of my salary, my wife and I could live very comfortable down south, but I feel like I'd feel guilty with the family up in Jersey a 12 hour car ride away. Plus were only in our mid-30's so I do need to work and its rather difficult for a executive/upper manager from the north to find a good job in the south. Seems like there is this us against the Yanks divide down South from what I've personally experienced in previous employment. However there might be a lot more stress in living in NJ/NY compared to the south. Its a difficult decision and one the wife and I will have to make eventually.

Any experiences would be appreciated. Thanks......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 07:15 AM

1,075 posts, read 751,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Hey All,

I'm interested to hear past experiences from Jersey folks moving out and settling in the cheaper south, like the Carolina's or anywhere else. I'm originally from Bergen county NJ but have been living abroad in Asia for the last 10 years and its almost time to move back to the States.

As my family is mostly in NJ, its tough to not move back to Jersey and settle in. My only issue is the high costs of living in the area. When you compare it to Charlotte or somewhere down south, it seems like Jersey is not a great deal. Property taxes, prices of real estate and other costs are so much higher in Jersey and the tri-state area. With some income outside (rental income) of my salary, my wife and I could live very comfortable down south, but I feel like I'd feel guilty with the family up in Jersey a 12 hour car ride away. Plus were only in our mid-30's so I do need to work and its rather difficult for a executive/upper manager from the north to find a good job in the south. Seems like there is this us against the Yanks divide down South from what I've personally experienced in previous employment. However there might be a lot more stress in living in NJ/NY compared to the south. Its a difficult decision and one the wife and I will have to make eventually.

I lived in Atlanta and my sister lived in Charlotte. We both grew up in NJ. I went to college in NJ then moved to Atlanta. The people are nice in both cities and there are a lot of transplants in both cities so you shouldn't have any problems making friends. I never felt the Yanks vs the South divide. There are lots of things to do and getting to the mountains or going to the beach during the summer is MUCH more affordable than up north. My only issue with living down south is that good paying jobs are hard to find. If you have one that's great, but if you lose that job good luck finding another that paid as well as the one you just had. This was pretty much the reason I moved back north. I also lived in Tampa/Clearwater. I preferred living near the Gulf, which is unbelievably beautiful, but again good jobs in FL are hard to come by and the quality of people in FL is not as good as in Atlanta or Charlotte. Charlotte and Atlanta are good cities in which to raise a family. If you can find decent job or buy your house with a very small mortgage, you could be very happy down there. Lake Norman outside of Charlotte is a beautiful community. My sister lived there.

You should rent first and figure out what area you are drawn to. You could probably rent a brand new townhome for peanuts. At the end of the day, if you don't like it down there, you move back to NJ. It's not like you're moving to the other side of the world. This is another reason you should rent the first year. If you don't like it, you leave. However, if you buy a house, you might have a tough time selling it. Charlotte and Altanta build houses as far as the eye can see so the constant suppy makes it hard to sell. However, it also makes for great buying opportunities.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:55 AM

9,125 posts, read 22,341,024 times
We've been living in Atlanta for the past 5 years, after living in NJ.

Don't worry about the "us vs the Yanks" bit- that's not at all prevalent unless you're heading to some small, rural town. If you were to live near Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, etc., it's a non-issue.

The bigger issue, which you already touched on, is employment. Many industries down here were booming just because of the fast rate of people moving here, and have dried up considerably since the economy tanked. You'll definitely get paid less here in many fields, but the lower COL makes up for that in most cases- the problem isn't making enough $$ at your job, it's finding a job in the first place.

Old 07-02-2012, 02:02 PM

1,350 posts, read 600,007 times
I moved to Tulsa in 2003, after my husband was killed, to put kids thru college. They were very friendly, and the cost of living was much less. I had been in a 5 bedroom with an in ground pool and the rent was 1200.00 a month. But, after 8 years of the tornadoes, ice storms and 100 plus degree heat last year, I decided to move back to NJ. Now, I wonder if I made the correct choice. My oldest is still in Ok, so if at my 1 year mark back here, if I can't make it work, I'll be Tulsa bound again. Good luck to you!

Old 07-02-2012, 04:00 PM

5,839 posts, read 3,800,500 times
Quote:
Hey All,

You can always try south Jersey, too. Lower cost of living, lower real estate prices and taxes than north Jersey but more jobs than it sounds like there are in the southern states, and you'd still be near family.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:15 PM

11,502 posts, read 19,863,225 times
Quote:
Hey All,

just don't go without a job - and that applies to anywhere, not just the south.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:00 PM

Thanks guys. I think I will explore other areas of Jersey like southern or west Jersey where jobs are still more available than they might be in the Carolinas or Atlanta. Red Bank area or south or there looks pretty good and still a number of companies/jobs in central Jersey. I love Bergen county and being close to NYC but its just so darn expensive....

Old 07-02-2012, 05:45 PM

26,163 posts, read 18,636,607 times
Quote:
Thanks guys. I think I will explore other areas of Jersey like southern or west Jersey where jobs are still more available than they might be in the Carolinas or Atlanta. Red Bank area or south or there looks pretty good and still a number of companies/jobs in central Jersey. I love Bergen county and being close to NYC but its just so darn expensive....
I lived in Bergen County most of my life and moved down to the Red Bank area about two years ago. I love it here.

Where in China are you? My daughter is a Mandarin/Linguistics major and spent last fall's semester in Chengdu.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:59 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,238,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You can always try south Jersey, too. Lower cost of living, lower real estate prices and taxes than north Jersey but more jobs than it sounds like there are in the southern states, and you'd still be near family.
I agree with trying South Jersey. Especially if you will be close by Philadelphia. There are also big cities as well in SJ that you could consider as well. Living outside of them and commuting inside.

If you to move anywhere in the south I would personally consider Texas. I attended college in New Orleans and many of my friends were able to relocate to Texas (both Dallas and Houston) and find employment. Dallas is very good for bustling, young professionals.

I would also look into Nashville, TN. Another great city for young professionals. And the Cost of Living isn't extremely high.

I currently live in Northern NJ so I know what you mean. Down south you definitely get more bang for your buck. And a plus to actually living in a southern city, like Atlanta, is the fact that you are making a Northern Salary and living on a Southern Buck.

I lived in Atlanta for a while, but it just wasn't for me. So I'm looking into Northwestern NJ.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:44 PM

Thanks NJ21......I'm going to look into Texas and Nashville. I have some family members almost set on moving to Charlotte, but the lack of high paying jobs is a little unsettling to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey