Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 07:08 AM

24 posts, read 92,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontclairNative View Post
Lobster, have you met my buyers from Park Slope with the twins that will be on Hillside? I'll have to make sure you meet.
I actually have been going back and forth with them after a discussion that started on this board. They live a block away from us now and will be a block away from us in Glen Ridge. The whole thing was actually quite ridiculous!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 01:32 PM

5 posts, read 44,899 times
Thanks for your response!!

Old 07-05-2012, 04:53 PM

168 posts, read 417,251 times
Just for some perspective, the school quality bet Glen Ridge and neighboring Montclair is not that different. Both have avg SAT at 1600s which is quite surprising given that montclair is a bigger and more diverse district so it is much much harder to achieve the same score. This translates to a higher quality district. Of course 1600s SAT is nothing to brag about. If housing stock at Glen Ridge is great then housing stock in Montclair is spectacular. Both towns have same crime rates. They share the same train line to NYC. etc.
However, Montclair houses are cheaper, tax rate is lower, the town has more amenities and is more diverse.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedus View Post
Just for some perspective, the school quality bet Glen Ridge and neighboring Montclair is not that different. Both have avg SAT at 1600s which is quite surprising given that montclair is a bigger and more diverse district so it is much much harder to achieve the same score. This translates to a higher quality district. Of course 1600s SAT is nothing to brag about. If housing stock at Glen Ridge is great then housing stock in Montclair is spectacular. Both towns have same crime rates. They share the same train line to NYC. etc.
However, Montclair houses are cheaper, tax rate is lower, the town has more amenities and is more diverse.
I don't think anyone on this thread was suggesting that there is anything wrong with Montlcair, were they? The OP was asking about Glen Ridge, not a comparison, and most people even suggested that they keep their options open and look at Montclair.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster1 View Post
I don't think anyone on this thread was suggesting that there is anything wrong with Montlcair, were they? The OP was asking about Glen Ridge, not a comparison, and most people even suggested that they keep their options open and look at Montclair.
Glen ridge is many times promoted (not in this thread) as exclusive, safe, with stellar schools to prop houses prices up but reality is that there's not much difference. Keep your options open.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedus View Post
Glen ridge is many times promoted (not in this thread) as exclusive, safe, with stellar schools to prop houses prices up but reality is that there's not much difference. Keep your options open.
Right, but even if Montclair is also exclusive, safe and has excellent schools it certainly doesn't mean that Glen Ridge doesn't also have those things going for it. In fact it absolutely is exclusive, safe and has excellent schools. Montclair can also have the same things going for it, but I hate this nonsense rivalry between Glen Ridge and Montclair. Both are great neighborhoods with good things going for them.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:03 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
Quote:
Right, but even if Montclair is also exclusive, safe and has excellent schools it certainly doesn't mean that Glen Ridge doesn't also have those things going for it. In fact it absolutely is exclusive, safe and has excellent schools. Montclair can also have the same things going for it, but I hate this nonsense rivalry between Glen Ridge and Montclair. Both are great neighborhoods with good things going for them.
along with curl your toes property taxes!!!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:37 PM

191 posts, read 697,703 times
Montclair taxes just went up, again Montclair's New Estimated 3rd Quarter Tax Rate Increased by Over 20 Percent (Updated) - Baristanet*|*Baristanet

I believe that Glen Ridge residents pay 100% of school costs via property taxes since the town lost it's school funding from the state - anyone know for sure?

Old 07-07-2012, 08:35 AM

478 posts, read 1,229,432 times
Len- that's not quite accurate as the town was reassessed and the tax base was reduced by about 18%. So they tax rate had to increase on the order of 20% to maintain the same budget. Some peoples taxes went up, some went down, some unchanged, but the "tax increase", on avergae,will be on the order of 1-2%. Not much, but a reduction would be nice to see in our lifetimes.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I did not say that Montclair is exclusive. In fact it is not. There is a lot of diversity (inc income). Despite this diversity the school system is comparable to Glen ridge. Also I would not call their school systems "excellent", certainly not in top 20. Also I did not say that Montclair is safe. I said that Montclair and Glen Ridge have similar crime rates which are high compare to towns such as summit, westfield etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey