U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 04:48 PM

88 posts, read 301,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
I know a number of people who live in Union. My cousins grew up there. The schools are not the best. My good friends that live there send their girls to private school after having a bad experience in the public schools there. It doesn't have a quaint downtown but it is close to Westfield and they do have very walkable downtown areas. It is centrally located to a lot of things. It is a diverse city and I could be wrong but I always felt that it was very blue collar...imo.

BLUE COLLAR KEEPS WHITE COLLAR IN JOBS? iS THAT THE ANSWER?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 06:48 AM

131 posts, read 520,170 times
Green Lane townhouses are brand new selling in 470+ range, also if you are looking for townhouses that are close you may want to check out Hickory Manor about a 1mile away from it on Vauxhall RD, little cheaper but very nice with swimming pool and they go for about 350+ and are built in 2000. Union overall is a safe and nice town. Borders Irvington on one side but police are keeping it under control by having extra units marked and unmarked patrolling side streets and Suyvesant Ave and pulling over and checking any people that might be suspicious. I have 2 houses in Union one that borders Maplewood and other tha borders Springfield and i know all the good and bad sides of Union. I have been there for 15 years and know almost every little thing about it and thats what made me even sell houses there. Schools are not terrible as some people say that dont live there they are good with good education level but some are more and other are less diversed. I would say away from Vauxhall, Holywood, and Brookside and parts of Pleasant Park sections of the town but other then that its good. Even those sections except for Vauxhall section which has different zip code are very safe and quiet and crime to minimum. Center of the town right now is in process of complete rehab, it was redone in 1995 but now they have even bigger plans to redo it again, and they started redoing Morris Ave from Kean College all the way to Springfield. They even recently filmed movie in Union which will come out to theathers next year. PM me if you have any more questions and i will try to answer everything you need to know about the town.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:08 PM

Soon they will start building another set of Condos on Green Ln that will start high 300$s for 2 bedrooms right next to the self storage.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:08 PM

2 posts, read 24,501 times
Default Townhouses

The townhouses are new and very commuter friendly (train station immediately next door). Also, they are in the part of Union which sends students to Washington Elementary School. If you research schools, you will see the stats on this school compare to schools in neighboring towns that are much more expensive. There are differing views on other schools in Union, but if you are interested in this development, and are starting a family or about to, it is a great value and would offer great access to a top notch grade school.

Last edited by unionNJ1; 12-08-2007 at 06:21 PM..

Old 12-10-2007, 06:12 AM

I thought that they will send kids to Livingston school because Lehigh Ave people send their kids to Livingston school which is not any worse then Washington school. Whichever school they will send their kids to, both schools are very good.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 24,501 times
Default School

They are definately in the district with Washington Elementary School. [url=http://www.greatschools.net] and [url=http://www.psk12.com/rating/USindexphp/STATE_NJ.html] both show the ratings of this particular school and you can compare it to the ratings of other schools in Union; Washington is considered a step above by many and the test scores back up that view. Every person makes their own judgment, but if access to a high quality elementary school is a concern and Union is where you are looking I would focus in on Washington (which includes Putnam Manor and the area east of the train tracks and South of Morris Avenue).

Old 04-18-2008, 01:36 PM

138 posts, read 537,756 times
Is Valley Street (from the map, nearest cross street looks like Emily Ave) an OK area? There are some reasonably priced townhouses there. But on the map, it also looks close to Vauxhall, and this forum seems pretty unanimous that Vauxhall is bad...

Old 05-21-2008, 09:12 AM

28 posts, read 114,251 times
Lightbulb Union Township,good place to live?

Vauxhall going towards Liberty Avenue is shaky But Vauxhall going into the center of town is nice. It's true about the rehabing of the downtown area that it is in the process of closing the downtown stores and rehabing them. Checking out the website of Union Township and you will see the plans Union Township (http://www.uniontownship.com/Projects.html - broken link). The plans show massive improvement to the area. I live on the Springfield/Union border and have never had a problem.

I personally dont understand Vauxhall is it in Union then why does it have a separate zipcode?

Old 05-21-2008, 09:37 AM

97 posts, read 435,954 times
union is an ok town, it's very crowded now, traffic on morris ave comes to a crawl sometimes (friday eve commute). i wouldn't send my kids to the high school though, too many kids from irvington using union addresses.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:37 AM

Vauxhall is part of Union and has been the way is it forever, look into Union history books. Its a little separate town with own zip code and own library and postal office but its too small to have its own local goverment and had to be part of bigger town (Union). Long long time ago Central Five was a vauxhall school but times passed by and it got integrated with Union even more, just like police department and taxes. Vauxhall have lower tax rates and different zoning. Valley Rd townhouses are cheaper because of the section but that part of the Vauxhall is considered as the best section of Vauxhall section ( Franklin St and that area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or