U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 04:31 PM

525 posts, read 1,786,209 times

Advertisements

Union is now an okay town, but it was once a very nice town, not so long ago either, maybe 15 years ago. The point many posters are trying to make is Union, like Linden, Elizabeth, etc., is on the decline, and no one knows how far it will fall. If you want to rent, sign a one year lease and give it a try. But no way would a buy there now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 05:22 PM

786 posts, read 790,293 times
solid middle class town

Old 03-28-2013, 03:27 PM

32 posts, read 37,346 times
I made an account just to post in this thread, because my entire family still lives in Union and I have brothers in the school system. I also ran for office recently there, so I have a good grasp on where the town is trying to go.

If you have children, I would not recommend sending them to private school and I will tell you why: I went through the high school and they are some of the most fantastic teachers I ever met. However, when all of the caring parents send their kids out of the public system, it just leaves the kids who don't care. THAT is why the school gets bad ratings; because scaredy-cat parents send their kids away. Even when I went several years ago, I noticed it then, but it is only getting worse. A "white flight" without even moving out of town. The elementary schools there are excellent, particularly Washington, Livingston, and Connecticut Farms.

If you are a single commuter or new family, Union is a great place to think about moving to. The train is very close to Newark and NY. The taxes are sort-of high, but I was just at the annual budget meeting and they are (FINALLY!) plateauing after hiring a new analyst and pressure from competition, and the negative impact from Merck leaving is going to die down which should pose some tax relief as well since the loss of taxes from Merck are going to phase out starting in 2014. The township is planning on replacing Merck with a nice shopping area to service the new condos going up right near the train station.

The center is going to be revitalized hopefully, but it seems as though its going to be harder to fix than some other parts of town. It's not that pedestrian-friendly, and there's really nothing worth going t othere. It needs foot traffic, but for that it needs stores. It's a vicious cycle.

There are alot of Portuguese and Polish moving in, and also alot of new African Americans from neighboring towns. Hispanics too. Union is a very diverse town and it is only increasing. Thankfully, the crime rates haven't seemed to go up significantly with that.

I will admit that there is a part of me that knows the town "isn't what it used to be", and there is no denying that. However, if people just run from it, it only compounds the effect. It is a safe town, and even Vauxhall is safer than, say, Elizabeth or Newark. It just is "less safe" than the rest of town just due to its location and the towns it borders.

Hopefully this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:11 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,402,100 times
Union is very safe. Kean University is there, albeit on the edge of Elizabeth. It does share a border with Irvington, which is known for being a complete war zone, but I doubt the whole town is like that, probably just the area that borders Newark. That said, I never thought Union was a "great" area either. Not terrible, but definitely blue coller/lower middle class. Maybe Union County's version of something like Piscataway.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:08 AM

116 posts, read 192,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris41336 View Post
I made an account just to post in this thread, because my entire family still lives in Union and I have brothers in the school system. I also ran for office recently there, so I have a good grasp on where the town is trying to go.

If you have children, I would not recommend sending them to private school and I will tell you why: I went through the high school and they are some of the most fantastic teachers I ever met. However, when all of the caring parents send their kids out of the public system, it just leaves the kids who don't care. THAT is why the school gets bad ratings; because scaredy-cat parents send their kids away. Even when I went several years ago, I noticed it then, but it is only getting worse. A "white flight" without even moving out of town. The elementary schools there are excellent, particularly Washington, Livingston, and Connecticut Farms.

If you are a single commuter or new family, Union is a great place to think about moving to. The train is very close to Newark and NY. The taxes are sort-of high, but I was just at the annual budget meeting and they are (FINALLY!) plateauing after hiring a new analyst and pressure from competition, and the negative impact from Merck leaving is going to die down which should pose some tax relief as well since the loss of taxes from Merck are going to phase out starting in 2014. The township is planning on replacing Merck with a nice shopping area to service the new condos going up right near the train station.

The center is going to be revitalized hopefully, but it seems as though its going to be harder to fix than some other parts of town. It's not that pedestrian-friendly, and there's really nothing worth going t othere. It needs foot traffic, but for that it needs stores. It's a vicious cycle.

There are alot of Portuguese and Polish moving in, and also alot of new African Americans from neighboring towns. Hispanics too. Union is a very diverse town and it is only increasing. Thankfully, the crime rates haven't seemed to go up significantly with that.

I will admit that there is a part of me that knows the town "isn't what it used to be", and there is no denying that. However, if people just run from it, it only compounds the effect. It is a safe town, and even Vauxhall is safer than, say, Elizabeth or Newark. It just is "less safe" than the rest of town just due to its location and the towns it borders.

Hopefully this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.
I have lived in Union my entire life. You are full of it with this post. People are sending their kids to private school because the school systems are garbage and you want to know why they are garbage? Union attracts people from NY, Newark, Elizabeth, Orange, Hillside. They do not attract young married college educated couples. The HS is ranked in the bottom third of the entire state. I graduated a decade ago and have family in the schools now. It is DRASTICALLY different and I feel terrible they are in school there.

Oh yeah the center is being revitalized? Who are you kidding? The center is filled with dollar stores and hair braiding stores. Take a wild guess who that attracts? Irvington, Newark. It has nothing to do with white flight. Educated people do not want to be around idiots. Regardless of race. I myself will never move into Union and I am trying to get my family out like no tomorrow.

NOW....if you are single and work in NYC and want your home value to stagnate and possibly slowly decrease in value all while paying at least 9k in property taxes for a school ranked 240 out of 360, move to the side of town close to the train, commute and send your kids to private school. Union has been getting worse and worse every year. It is great if you come from a poor town and aren't highly educated and do not care to surround yourself with those who are educated.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:36 PM

2,100 posts, read 2,756,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUskoolie View Post
No such thing exists.

For the record my Mom lives in Union and I am trying to get her out of their within a year. No one who is educated is moving into that town and if they are it is near the train station and the kids go to private school and the parents work in NYC. I am sure there are rental opportunities but I rather not deal with crime, especially in the area the one poster is looking.
A lot of posters have already confirmed that Union isn't very crime ridden, except the Vauxhall area.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:02 PM

15 posts, read 21,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
A lot of posters have already confirmed that Union isn't very crime ridden, except the Vauxhall area.

when people say Vauxhall area, do they refer to the 07088 zip code or the whole area of union north of 78 ?

Old 03-30-2013, 05:22 AM

587 posts, read 1,904,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtc78 View Post
when people say Vauxhall area, do they refer to the 07088 zip code or the whole area of union north of 78 ?
Yes that is considered the vauxhall area. By the way union would be a major downgrade for folks that live or grew up living in places such as westfield mendham summit ect but would be a pleasant upgrade coming from Irvington Newark Camden... So town ratings can be very subjective and opinionated.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:47 PM

15 posts, read 21,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumra View Post
Yes that is considered the vauxhall area. By the way union would be a major downgrade for folks that live or grew up living in places such as westfield mendham summit ect but would be a pleasant upgrade coming from Irvington Newark Camden... So town ratings can be very subjective and opinionated.
did you mean the north of 78 union is vauxhall area? or just the area with zip code of 07088?

Old 03-31-2013, 08:40 PM

587 posts, read 1,904,282 times
07088 is the official zip of vauxhall area which is north of 78. If you want a better area of union hit east of liberty south of 78.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or