Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 07:13 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,831,630 times

Advertisements

Maybe they don't know how to make good pizza to begin with.

It's funny you are the second person just within this thread who has said how awful NC pizza is. I believe I can make decent pizza regardless of location give a proper oven and ingredients. I might filter or do reverse osmosis on the water though.

Maybe my wife and I should consider moving to NC and opening a pizzeria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 07:17 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,986,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
...but they dont have the NY water in Vineland

Brooklyn all day!

I spent 17 years between Bensonhurst and Bayridge and the one thing I do not miss is the water. It comes out of the faucet all cloudy and you have to wait for a minute for it to clear up. I spent a lot money on bottled water over there.

I'm not really a big pizza person but I would say my favorite pizza is from Vincents in Cliffside Park.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:20 PM

828 posts, read 3,134,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post

It's funny you are the second person just within this thread who has said how awful NC pizza is. I believe I can make decent pizza regardless of location give a proper oven and ingredients. I might filter or do reverse osmosis on the water though.

Trust me, all of the R/O in the world will not replicate NYC pizza.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:58 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,705,729 times
Quote:

You're not the only one with that brilliant idea. But hey, give it a whirl. You never know.
There are many pizzerias in NC with genuine New Yorkers running the places, but the pizza is just not the same. BTW, same goes for bagels, so it must be a water issue.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:14 PM

Good pizza does not require New York water. There is great pizza in Phoenix Arizona with awful water. I once by accident made pizza from a gallon of Florida water I brought home with me on a road trip. I thought it was some PA spring water. I could not taste any difference. There is great pizza in New Jersey too and we don't have NYC water.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:45 PM

828 posts, read 3,134,891 times
Quote:
Good pizza does not require New York water. There is great pizza in Phoenix Arizona with awful water. I once by accident made pizza from a gallon of Florida water I brought home with me on a road trip. I thought it was some PA spring water. I could not taste any difference. There is great pizza in New Jersey too and we don't have NYC water.
The water is not determining the taste, as much as it is determining the texture of the crust and all of the dough.
As for "great" pizza in NJ...
There is good pizza in Jersey, not great as there is in NYC.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:04 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,729,579 times
The BEST pizza I have had is in Cape May County, oh **** it's the best!! Called Soprano's, please don't come down and eat it all!

Old 02-20-2008, 05:34 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,325,985 times
The issue with pizza in places like NC, GA, etc., is partially the water (which can be overcome with proper filtration/treatment), but it's mostly the cheese and sauce suppliers. I'd say that 90% of the pizzerias in NJ use two suppliers for their cheese and sauce- Roma and Ferrarra, and you can almost tell which uses which by the taste. The pizzerias down here don't have access to those ingredients- in fact I've actually seen several down here that use the same crappy Sargento cheese that you can buy in bags at the supermarket- so the finished product doesn't taste the same.

You'll also find that many of the places down here don't even use conventional pizza ovens- they try to use the conveyor style ovens and premade crusts that Dominos and the like use, and it's evident. If you walk into a pizzeria and don't see a big ole' oven behind the counter, walk out fast- while your chances of getting good pizza with a real oven down here are 50/50 at best, without the oven you're wasting your time.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:07 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,464,442 times
i dont think it's only the water. some people think they know how to make pizza--and they just dont. my uncle is a pizzaiolo. he used to have a pizzaria in NJ, then moved to central PA. the pizza is excellent whereever HE makes it because he has the secret. the way to prepare the crust, the way to prepare the sauce, the ingrediants, etc. and trust me, he isnt giving that secret to any one. none of us--not even his own sisters know it.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:57 AM

thanks findinghope. Like I said, it is not just the water. Like I said maybe they don't know how to make pizza I don't know that there is "a" single secret, but there is a lot of technique, ingredients, oven, art and science all come together. If anyone is interested come check out PizzaMaking.com - Pizza Making, Pizza Recipes, and More!. I started going there a few years ago and I am to the point where I prefer my own to most places and I think mine is "OK" nothing more. I do not every make the same "recipe" twice because I'm still looking for improvements. Sometimes it's worse sometimes better. Or try googling "Best Pizza Recipe".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey