U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 10:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,805 times

Advertisements

I agree the Star is the BEST around!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 02:41 PM

718 posts, read 2,075,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
New York water is the absolute best. It was rated the best City water for years. The NYC water is also the reason why the bread and pizza is the absolute best in NYC.
I lived in Hudson County for 30 years and would travel religiously to NYC (only about 10 minutes), and I have never had better bread or pizza.
There are good places in Northern Jersey for bread, and there are a few good pizzerias there, as well. As someone who now lives in Ocean County I have had the bread and pizza here, and it is awful. I have also had "Tomato Pies", especially those that have been spoken of here. They are good, but NO where as good as the pies that you get in The City.
John's Pizzeria (http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/index2.htm - broken link)
http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/index2.htm (broken link)
Thank you. And you are in Ocean County, full of transplanted BK/SIers who probably know how to make pizza better than anyone outside Italy. Anthony Franco makes a great caprese pizza but at the end of the day, anyone can throw fresh mozzarella, San Marzano tomatoes, and basil on top of a pizza. The real skill in great pizza is the dough, and the dough in NJ (in my experience) take a second place seat to NY.

I dont know what it is but those reservoirs make great tasting tap water.

Calandra's does make great bread and pastries in NJ.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:55 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,122,499 times
Yeah I know alot of people like their pizza. For some reason I always get violently ill when I try to eat there - no joke & it is the only place that happens to me & it has occurred EVERY SINGLE TIME so it wasn't a fluke...I think their food is extra greasy or something? I don't know - I met one other person who has the same thing happen every time she ate there too. So long story short - I don't eat there anymore but I will have some drinks from the bar when I'm there keeping my friends company!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriniLiciousSs View Post
omg! you know it!!!
Pete & Elda's is defff. the best!!
Neptune, NJ!!!
GOO!!!!!!
it's also known as Carmen's..
but mostly Pete and Eldas.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,711 times
Sorry guys (and gals) but the best Pizza in Jersey is Pizza Town on Route 46 in Clifton. Everytime I return to the "old sod" I just have to have a large Cheese Pie. Delicioso!

Old 02-21-2008, 10:39 AM

88 posts, read 479,993 times
Pizza isn't all that in general, i dont know what the hype is all about. All these claims about NYC having better pizza. Who cares about pizza? What are we 12 again, bowling playing arcades eating 12 slices in 1 sitting? A slice is a slice, Jersey or NY it's all good(as long it's not from anywhere else lol). You people make NYC seem like this god of pizza, when there are countless places that I hate there. The difference is NY's are bigger n Jersey's are thinner. NY's can be fresher at time, but the crust usually is this burnt garbage. I eat pizza's in Jersey with zeppoli dough as the crust. Also, a slice in NYC is generally $2.50. It's not about the money it's principle. 2.50!!! Get outta here!!! Italian Deli's and resteraunts are where it's at and that is what is really amazing here in Jersey. Go have some proscuitto w/ fresh mootz n some tiramisu and talk to me. Hit up Bloomfield Ave in whatever town you feel like and sample everything. Manja manja manja!!!

Old 02-21-2008, 12:05 PM

1,990 posts, read 6,843,960 times
^^^ You said "Who cares about good pizza" and "What are we 12", yet you give your cazy about the best pizza. Jersey has some GOOD pizza, but it just isn't as good a NYC. Sorry. It is something in the water that makes NYC pizza what it is. If you really want good pizza in NYC, try Steve's Pizza. It's located at Trinity Pl. down the street from the WTC. It is a little pricy ( slice is $3.00. specially slice is $4 and up) but it is one of the best pizza stores in Manhattan.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY201973 View Post
Pizza isn't all that in general, i dont know what the hype is all about. All these claims about NYC having better pizza. Who cares about pizza? What are we 12 again, bowling playing arcades eating 12 slices in 1 sitting? A slice is a slice, Jersey or NY it's all good(as long it's not from anywhere else lol). You people make NYC seem like this god of pizza, when there are countless places that I hate there. The difference is NY's are bigger n Jersey's are thinner. NY's can be fresher at time, but the crust usually is this burnt garbage. I eat pizza's in Jersey with zeppoli dough as the crust. Also, a slice in NYC is generally $2.50. It's not about the money it's principle. 2.50!!! Get outta here!!! Italian Deli's and resteraunts are where it's at and that is what is really amazing here in Jersey. Go have some proscuitto w/ fresh mootz n some tiramisu and talk to me. Hit up Bloomfield Ave in whatever town you feel like and sample everything. Manja manja manja!!!

haha youve obviously never had great pizza. I pay over $3 sometimes for slices and never think twice. I am not talking about pizza with gooping american cheese and a thick dough crust thats the same everywhere, whether its Pizza hut, Papa Johns, or Sal on the corner hustling you with his quickie garbage pizza. Eating pizza is about sitting down with friends and family and sharing a simple meal.

Go take a trip to Italy sometime. If you do its MANGIA not MANJA

PS I love a great deli sandwich with fresh prosciutto and mozzarella.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:21 PM

828 posts, read 2,847,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY201973 View Post
Thanks for jumping into a thread that is 12 pages long and calling everyone a bunch of twelve year olds. Obviously you have not traveled.
NY's can be fresher???
Zeppoli dough???
Burnt???
You can tell me with a straight face that Jersey is thinner?
BTW, it is r-e-s-t-a-u-r-a-n-t and m-a-n-g-i-a and m-o-z-z.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischfan13 View Post
Thanks for jumping into a thread that is 12 pages long and calling everyone a bunch of twelve year olds. Obviously you have not traveled.
NY's can be fresher???
Zeppoli dough???
Burnt???
You can tell me with a straight face that Jersey is thinner?
BTW, it is r-e-s-t-a-u-r-a-n-t and m-a-n-g-i-a and m-o-z-z.
Haha...great points. Most (not all) jersey pizza is thick (but not deep dish thick) with an overly doughy crust.

Sounds like youve been around and know real pizza. Been to Italy? If so where at?

Old 02-21-2008, 09:59 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,196,256 times
Are there any places that have stuff crust besides Pizza hut and those chains?

It is not difficult to make: you just put cheese or whatever on the edges, and wrap the dough over and just cook it.

I am surprised no mom and pop pizzeria has not copied it yet

NY and NJ pizza are exactly the same except the diameter of NY is a little more.

Is there a pizzeria that actually has italians working there anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or